This Week in Food: Thomas Lavers Cannery & Deli, The Guild Restaurant, Ganzi, Smoke BBQ, Leslieville Bakery, Playa Cabana Junction, Hogtown Charcuterie
This Week in Food rounds up the week's food news, restaurants openings and closings, chef movements and upcoming food events in Toronto. Find us here every Friday morning.
OPENINGS & CLOSINGS
- Thomas Lavers Cannery & Delicatessen opens at 193 Baldwin St. in Kensington Market tomorrow. Its Twitter promises handmade, canned, cured, pickled and brined food and sundries.
- Just steps away in the market, Hogtown Charcuterie (61 Kensington Avenure) has taken over the space formerly home to Mr. Cream to offer prepared meats and a lunch time menu for take-away.
- New Vietnamese restaurant Pho Tien has replaced Kimbo at 358 Bathurst Street just north of Dundas.
- The Guild Restaurant is almost ready to open at 1442 Dundas Street West. Originally the restaurant was going to be called NoNo but the owner seems to have decided on a name change at the last minute..
- New Italian restaurant and event venue, Ganzi is opening January 2013 in a historic mansion at 504 Jarvis Street. Those interested in checking it out this calendar year can hit up their New Years eve soiree.
- Dr. Laffa has announced plans to open a second location in the Bathurst and Lawrence area in the new year.
- Bazaar Global Food Bar is set to move from its recently closed Mount Pleasant location to to 33 Baldwin Street (formerly the Jodhpore Club).
- Smoke BBQ House is now open at 291 Harbord Street. Prime rib sliders, smoked fish and corned beef brisket are just some of what's on the menu.
- The second Playa Cabana location is now open in the Junction and is serving lunch and dinner.
- And the spot that used to house Altitude Baking now has a new name - the neighbourhood centric Leslieville Bakery.
- The Depanneur (1033 College Street) celebrates Hanukkah tonight, Friday, December 14th with a Whole Latke Love with Emily Zimmerman serving up 3 latkes (2 potato, one zucchini) and all the fixings for only $10.
- Mavrik Wine Bar (676 Queen Street West) celebrates the holidays with the Mavrik Mrkt on Saturday, December 15th from 10am to 4pm. This one day event offers the perfect chance to scoop-up homemade gifts from local vendors accompanied by live music and drink specials.
- Caplansky's Deli (356 College Street) celebrates the last day of Hanukkah with the third annual Latkepalooza on Sunday, December 16th at 8pm.
- The Depanneur (1033 College Street) Artisanal Food Holiday Market continues this Sunday, December 16th from 4pm to 8pm.
- Porchetta & Co. celebrates 2 years in business on Thursday, December 20th with $1 sandwiches (toppings extra).
- As of this Saturday, December 15th, the ever popular taqueria, Grand Electric (1330 Queen Street West) will open for weekend lunch service from 11:30am to 3:00pm.
- Stock at the Trump Hotel is advertising some lavish NYE packages. If you've got $$ to burn, consider the NYE Gourmand package, priced at $500 per person that includes a six-course menu and one bottle of Limited Edition Dom Pérignon per couple. Or reserve now for brunch on Christmas Day, Boxing Bay or New Years Day and enjoy a $100 per person menu that includes a seafood tower and omelette station.