This Week in Food: Santouka ramen, UeaT's Food Truck Friday, Gluten Free Garage, Fabio Bondi Pasta Party, Smitten Kitchen cookbook signing
This Week in Food rounds up the week's food news, restaurants openings and closings, chef movements and upcoming food events in Toronto. Find us here every Friday morning.
OPENINGS & CLOSINGS
- Japanese ramen shop chain, Santouka is set to open the doors to its first Toronto location this weekend at 91 Dundas East.
- UeaT's Food Truck Friday will host Urban Smoke Fusion BBQ for breakfast and lunch today (November 9) from 8am to 2:30pm on Tower Road, north of Hart House. And, Stuft will serve up lunch from 11am to 2:30pm in the Simcoe Hall (27 King's College Circle) parking lot.
- The inaugural Gluten-Free Garage is popping up on Sunday, November 11 from 10am to 4pm at Artscape Wychwood Barns (601 Christie Street). Admission to this marketplace featuring local gluten-free merchants, bakeries and restaurants is $10.
- There's nothing like comfort food to get you through the chilly weather, so join the Depanneur and their Rusholme Park Supper Club this Sunday, November 11, for an evening of classic Colombian Comfort food prepared by Cookie Martinez. Tickets for the three-course meal are $40 and should be purchased in advance, and doors open at 7:30 p.m.
- Movember and Sons and 7Numbers (307 Danforth Ave) hosts a night of food and wine on Monday, November 12. All mustaches are welcome to this open dialogue about the Movember campaign and men's health issues. Space is limited and should be reserved in advance.
- The GE Café Chefs Series returns to the Evergreen Brickworks (550 Bayview Avenue) on Tuesday, November 13 with a Pasta Party workshop with Fabio Bondi of Local Kitchen and Bar Salumi.
- The Gourmet Food & Wine Expo starts Thursday, November 15 and runs until Sunday, November 18 at the Metro Toronto Convention Centre (255 Front Street West). General admission is $20 and offers the opportunity to sample 1,500+ fine wines, beers and spirits from around the world.
- Deb Perelman is in town on Friday, November 16 at 7pm to launch The Smitten Kitchen Cookbook. Tickets for this Q&A event are $40 and available from the Cookbook Store.
- Jamie Kennedy is taking reservations now for his Santa Claus Parade Brunch happening at the Gardiner Museum (111 Queens Park) on Sunday, November 18. On offer will be a festive menu for adults ($40) and children ($20), served at several food stations in the Terrace Room.
- The Depanneur (1033 College Street) wants to gauge interest in CSA-type vegetable box pick-up (from FoodShare) plus a drop-in dinner combo proposed for Wednesday nights. Those who are interested should check out the information session on November 15 at 6:30pm.
Photo courtesy of The Depanneur