This Week in Food: Sabai Sabai, Sukhothai, Skin and Bones, Rock Lobster, Ramen & Izakaya Ryoji, A-OK Foods, Playa Cantina, Hummingbird Caribbean Cuisine
This Week in Food rounds up the week's food news, restaurants openings and closings, chef movements and upcoming food events in Toronto. Find us here every Friday morning.
OPENINGS & CLOSINGS
- New Thai restaurant and bar, Sabai Sabai (225 Church Street), launches with a soft opening today, November 30th from 11am to 11pm.
- Chef Matthew Sullivan helms the kitchen at newly opened Leslieville restaurant, Skin and Bones (980 Queen Street East) which just opened this week.
- Also in Leslieville, The Hummingbird Caribbean Cuisine serves its first meal this weekend in the former Queen Pita space at 1276 Queen St. East.
- Popular Regent Park Thai destination Sukhothai is closing until mid January for renovations and to give the staff time to open their new location at 52 Wellington St. East this Monday December 3rd.
- Rock Lobster Food Company opens the doors to their new Ossington location on Saturday, December 1st at 110 Ossington (formerly home of Watusi). Psst...Tonight is their soft-opening.
- Just around the corner, the owners of Yours Truly have quietly unveiled A-OK Foods, a new ramen and snack bar at 930 Queen St. West.
- Playa Cabana is set to open a sister location in the Junction. Playa Cantina will serve up authentic Mexican fare at 2883 Dundas West when it opens in the coming weeks.
- Ramen & Izakaya Ryoji has announced plans to take over the Little Italy location formerly home to Vecchio Frak. This will be the first international location for this Japanese Ramen chain planned to open before Christmas at 690-692 College Street.
- The Toronto Christmas Market starts on Friday, November 30 and runs until Sunday, December 16 at the Historic Distillery District. Along with festive entertainment there will be loads of vendors serving up seasonal favourites like British-style Christmas puddings, Belgium waffles and spiced mulled wine.
- Stop by Afoodgypsy & PopoverGirl Go Crackers at The Depanneur (1033 College Street) on Friday, November 30th from 6pm. This drop-in dinner features big, warming bowls of minestrone soup and homemade seeded crackers with artichoke walnut salsa.
- Chef's Challenge: The Ultimate Battle for a Cure will raise funds for Mount Sinai Hospital on Saturday, December 1st at the The Fairmont Royal York (100 Front Street West). Admission is granted only to fundraisers who've raised a minimum of $2,500.
- Voodoo Child's (388 College Street) first pop-up will serve up handmade ramen from Chef Joe Friday on Sunday, December 2nd from 11am to 6pm.
- On Sunday, December 2nd, Foodies on Foot is offering the first of several planned Holiday Shopping Tours. This East End edition will stop at 5-7 specialty food stores where you will be able to stock up for the food lovers on your list.
- Spirits & Spice! hopes to warm you up with festive Caribbean flavours on Thursday, December 6th at the Scotiabank Plaza Tower (40 King Street West).
- Pour House hosts a Guest Appreciation Party on December 6th at 8:00 pm with live live music, food samples and drink.
- The Volunteers of Trillium Health Centre host the 21st annual Gingerbread Cookie Factory from November 30th to December 23rd at Sherway Gardens (Hwy 427 & the QEW). Cookies are $4 each or three for $10 with all proceeds going to support seniors health services at the Trillium sites of The Credit Valley Hospital and Trillium Health Centre.
- Breakfast with Santa will be held at the Casa Loma Conservatory over several dates in December. Tickets are $25 and includes a kid friendly breakfast and admission to Casa Loma and Mozart's Magical Castle.
- Keriwa Cafe returns to an affordable a la carte dinner format after trying out a one-night-a-week, 14-course, $300 tasting menu that didn't receive the reception it aspired to.