This Week in Food: New locations for Five Guys Burgers, Banh Mi Boys and Hot Oven Bakery, What's on the Table, Childhood Favourites Supper Club, Oxala celebrates 1 year
This Week in Food rounds up the week's food news, restaurants openings and closings, chef movements and upcoming food events in Toronto. Find us here every Friday morning.
OPENINGS AND CLOSINGS
- Popular American burger chain, Five Guys Burgers and Fries (329 Yonge Street) has opened its first downtown eatery (locations can already be found in Mississauga and Vaughan) at Yonge and Dundas.
- After months of speculation, Banh Mi Boys has confirmed plans to open a second location at 399 Yonge this January.
- Pho Huong will replace Adam's Sushi at 598 College Street, a first for Little Italy; Vietnamese food.
- Hot Oven Bakery has announced they are opening another West-end location soon at 177 Roncesvalles.
- Le Panier Rouge was short-lived, The Yonge and St Clair grab-and-go only opened earlier this year at 1425 Yonge Street but is already gone.
- There is plenty to eat at The Royal Winter Fair opening this weekend, running from November 2nd to 11th at Exhibition Place (100 Princes' Boulevard). Edible attractions include a harvest market, cheese seminars, chef challenges and more.
- The Stop hosts the eighth annual What's on the Table on Wednesday, November 7th. This benefit for The Stop's anti-poverty and anti-hunger programs brings together Toronto's most innovative chefs and Niagara' best wines all under one roof.
- Foodies on Foot tours memory lane with the Childhood Favourites Supper Club on Thursday, November 8th. Taking place at the newly designed Foodies on Foot Studio (75 Portland Street), tickets are $75 and include reinvented childhood faves (think: PB&J&Foie Gras) prepared by Chef Robyn Goorevitch of Dining In Chez Vous and complimentary beverages.
- Oxala celebrates its first birthday with "Art y Tacos" on Friday, November 16th from 7pm at La Revolución (2848 Dundas Street West) in the Junction. The celebration includes dinner service in the front room featuring Oxala's signature menu of tacos, vegetarian tamales, ceviche shooters, and cocktails plus live music and street art in the back room.
- The Rusholme Park Supper Club and Cookie Martinez presents Classic Colombian Comfort Food on Sunday, November 11th at 7:30pm taking place at The Depanneur (1033 College Street).
- Liberty Village Brewing Company has announced its first tasting sessions to be held at the Liberty Market Building (171 East Liberty Street). Registration is open now for the two tasting events on Tuesday, November 13th and Wednesday, November 14th.