This Week in Food: Redfish, Moo Milk Bar, Emma's Country Kitchen, Rashers, Baconfest, Jerkfest, Craft Beer and Food Trucks, AwesTRUCK, Taste of the Danforth
This Week in Food rounds up the week's food news, restaurants openings and closings, chef movements and upcoming food events in Toronto. Find us here every Friday morning.
OPENINGS & CLOSINGS
- Redfish is now open for business at 890 College Street, offering a menu of sustainable fish and seafood.
- Moo Milk Bar has also opened its doors, serving up cookies and flavoured milks at their 1918A Queen Street East location.
- Emma's Country Kitchen at 1108 St. Clair Avenue West is up and running, offering home-cooked Canadian comfort food and take-away meals from their large pantry selection.
- Rashers is set to open soon at 948 Queen St. East. The web site suggests they'll be home to the Hogtown sandwich.
- Pilaros Taste of the Danforth returns for its 19th year starting today, August 10th, and runnung until August 12th. You can expect Greek music and culture, long line-ups and crowds, and most importantly, lots and lots of food.
- The Roundhouse Craft Beer Festival takes place this weekend at — where else? — Roundhouse Park. In addition to the wide selection of local beer on offer, the fest will also feature five food trucks so as to ensure that you leave feeling bloated. Sample cups are $10 in advance and $15 at the door.
- Celebrate blueberry season at the Wild Blueberry Festival on August 11th. Enter the pie bake-off or check out vendors and special guests including growers, bakers, artisanal producers and chefs. Head over to the Evergreen Brick Works (550 Bayview Avenue) early, as this event runs from 8am to 3pm.
- The 11th annual JerkFest takes place this weekend, Saturday, August 11th and Sunday August 12th at Centennial Park (256 Centennial Park Road).
- Stop into Chantecler (1320 Queen Street West) on August 12th for Lettuce Wrap Night and enjoy lettuce wraps filled with a selection of of meats, pickles and condiments for $19.
- Bacon lovers might want to head to the Leslieville Farmers' Market this weekend for Baconfest 2012. Wild boar, pork and tofu bacon will square off to see which reigns supreme.
- Dishcrawl tours Lower Ossington on August 15th at 7 pm. Tickets are still available at $65 per person.
- Ryan Gallagher of Top Chef Canada fame, will be taking over the kitchen at Reds Bistro & Wine Bar (77 Adelaide Street West) when it reopens as Reds Wine Tavern after three weeks of renovations. The opening is set for the end of August.
- Voting is now open for AwesTRUCK, the first ever 2012 People's Choice Award with the aim of recognizing Toronto's food truck and street food vendors.
Photo of last year's Taste of the Danforth by Jesse Milns