This Week in Food: Bent, Maras Gyros, C House Lounge Cafe, Brioche Doree, Gourmet Gringos, TUM, Cold Tea/Wvrst sausage fest
This Week in Food rounds up the week's food news, restaurants openings and closings, chef movements and upcoming food events in Toronto. Find us here every Friday morning.
OPENINGS & CLOSINGS
- Susur Lee continues to expand his restaurant empire with the newest addition, Bent. The new eatery will be open by the end of the weekend (if not already) at 777 Dundas West.
- Gourmet Gringos is now serving up authentic Latin food for breakfast and lunch as the newest food truck to hit the Toronto's streets.
- Maras Gyros and Grill opened on the Danforth near Logan last month. The gyro gets a thumbs up from Kidsrrfuture at foodnerds.ca who says everything on the menu is made in house.
- Brioche Doree has a massive sign up near King and Bathurst announcing the impending opening of their Parisian style bakery and cafe.
- Recent renovations have really stirred things up at El Gordo Latin Food Court (214 Augusta Avenue) in Kensington Market. Moving on, are current tenants, Agave Y Aguacate (headed to Harbourfront Centre) and Rebozos (who is rumoured to be eyeing it's own restaurant at College and Bathurst). Moving in is Seven Lives tacos, whilst old faves like Rock Lobster Food Co., El Gordo's Fine Foods, and Pancho's Bakery will be returning in September once renovations are complete. Did you get all that?
- Italian high style coffee franchise, C House Lounge Café is set to open two Toronto locations in the coming months. A Yorkville location is set to open this summer with a Queen Street location to follow in the fall. . Spice Safar anyone?
- Leslieville fishmonger Hooked is slated to open a second location this summer in the recently vacated Sanagan's Meat Locker location at Baldwin at Augusta in Kensington Market.
- Contemporary Québécois bistro, Café du Lac (2350 Lake Shore Boulevard West) has called it quits. Talk of a new Latin tapas restaurant abounds.
- Yorkville restaurant Maléna will serve its last supper this Saturday, August 25th. New owners are rumoured to have a new restaurant already in the works.
- The Rusholme Park Supper Club presents an Asian Twist with Matt Bell on Sunday, August 26th at The Depanneur (1033 College Street). Dinner is $50 and boasts quality local ingredients with Asian-inspired flavours.
- The Toronto Underground Market returns to the Evergreen Brick Works (550 Bayview Avenue) this Saturday, August 25, 2012 from 6 to 11pm. Old faves are back as well as new vendors like Tre Cugini selling handmade sausages, AVO cooking Portugeuse street food and Vams Kombucha offering Kombucha tea.
- This week, The Stop's Beer Garden features beer by Lake of Bays and food by Tiffinday from 1 to 5 pm on Sunday, August 26th at the Green Barn (601 Christie Street)
- Cold Tea and Wvrst team up this Sunday, August 26th on the Cold Tea patio (60 Kensington Avenue) at 3:30pm for an afternoon of beer and BBQ sausage.
- If white wasn't your thing, perhaps the Banana Bar Crawl will appeal to you more. Dress in yellow and meet at the Duke of Richmond (20 Queen West) at 8 o'clock this Saturday, August 25th for a bar crawl like no other.
- Tickets are available now for the Peacock Gala & Silent Auction on Thursday, September 20th. Hosted by Friends of High Park Zoo, this buffet dinner at Sunnyside Pavilion (1755 Lake Shore Boulevard West) will help support the Zoo in the year to come.
- Toronto Food Trucks have announced that they will be lining the red carpets at TIFF this year. A rotating roster of trucks will be stationed nightly from September 7th through to September 16th, outside the Bloor Cinema (506 Bloor Street West).
- Chinese restaurant, Lai Wah Heen (located in the Metropolitan Hotel at 108 Chestnut Street) announced an all new vegetarian menu this week that aims to please both vegetarian and non-vegetarian palates.
Photo from Avo