Thursday, August 28, 2014Clear 15°C
Eat & Drink

This week on DineSafe: Capital Sweet & Samosa, Caffe Demetre, G's Fine Foods, Just Thai, Pho Mi Asia, Pho Phuong, Sea-Hi Famous Chinese Food, Sushi O

Posted by Robyn Urback / July 31, 2012

dinesafe restaurantsThis week on DineSafe didn't offer the same abysmal show as last. To our collective good fortune, no single restaurant was deemed unfit to stay open (it's a small victory, but I'll take it.) That said, there was the usual collection of less-than-stellar performers this week, with Pho Mi Asia in North York leading the pack with a tally of 18 health and safety infractions. Also noteworthy is Sushi O by Yonge and Eglinton, which has settled into a nice pattern of Conditional Passes tracing back to January 2011. Here are some of the other Toronto spots flagged by DineSafe this week.

Caffe Demetre (Danforth)
Inspected on: July 26
Inspection finding: Yellow (Conditional Pass)
Number of infractions: 15 (Minor: 4, Significant: 7, Crucial: 2)
Crucial infractions include: Failure to protect food from contamination, failure to ensure/provide for proper employee hygiene/handwashing

Capital Sweet & Samosa
Inspected on: July 25
Inspection finding: Yellow (Conditional Pass)
Number of infractions: 8 (Minor: 2, Significant: 3, Crucial: 2)

G's Fine Foods
Inspected on: July 24
Inspection finding: Yellow (Conditional Pass)
Number of infractions: 8 (Minor: 1, Significant: 5, Crucial: 2)
Crucial infractions include: Inadequate food temperature control, failure to protect food from contamination

Just Thai
Inspected on: July 25
Inspection finding: Yellow (Conditional Pass)
Number of infractions: 5 (Minor: 3, Significant: 1, Crucial: 1)
Crucial infractions include: Failure to protect food from contamination

Pho Mi Asia
Inspected on: July 26
Inspection finding: Yellow (Conditional Pass)
Number of infractions: 18 (Minor: 5, Significant: 9, Crucial: 2)

Pho Phuong
Inspected on: July 24
Inspection finding: Yellow (Conditional Pass)
Number of infractions: 8 (Minor: 1, Significant: 5, Crucial: 1)
Crucial infractions include: Failure to protect food from contamination

Sea-Hi Famous Chinese Food
Inspected on: July 25
Inspection finding: Yellow (Conditional Pass)
Number of infractions: 5 (Minor: 3, Significant: 2, Crucial: 0)
Crucial infractions include: Failure to protect food from contamination

Sushi O
Inspected on: July 26
Inspection finding: Yellow (Conditional Pass)
Number of infractions: 5 (Minor: 1, Significant: 3, Crucial: 1)
Crucial infractions include: Failure to protect food from contamination

Laura / July 31, 2012 at 10:42 am
Wasn't that the Pho Mi Asia listed on BlogTo's best places to get pho?
burgs / July 31, 2012 at 11:34 am
pho phuong noooooo ;-;

Ol' Griss / July 31, 2012 at 12:09 pm
The one time I went in G's Fine Foods there were rodent turds on the shelves.
John W. / July 31, 2012 at 12:18 pm
Anyone notice how these lists are almost always asian restaurants? Makes ya wonder. Just sayin'...
You're an Idiot replying to a comment from John W. / July 31, 2012 at 01:33 pm
Makes me wonder how you got to be such a racist douchebag.
burgs replying to a comment from John W. / July 31, 2012 at 02:12 pm
These Dinesafe guys are scumbags anyway. I remember when I worked in a high end restaurant (that wasn't necessarily clean) the dinesafe guy would come in for 15 minutes, shoot the shit with the chef, not check anything at all and then turn to the whole staff and say "Now if anyone asks, I was here for 75 minutes hahahhaha". I'm sure he got comped a nice dinner for him and his wife a few days later. These small time asian restaurants probably just get busted because they don't know how to grease the wheels. I've worked in several restaurants and most of them were "kinda dirty" to "fuckin filthy" but they still all got greens.
kook replying to a comment from You're an Idiot / July 31, 2012 at 02:28 pm
i like you
Uncle Rico / July 31, 2012 at 09:25 pm
Uh...J Dub is right in his observation. Making an observation does not make you a bigot. Check the history of the dine safe posts. Doesn't make HIM racist, does it? Kinda makes either the dine safe people, or blogTO racist, doesn't it? But I guess I must be racist too because I merely pointed something out.
Nick J Boragina / July 31, 2012 at 10:15 pm
Cafe Demetre has 4 locations, and between them only one yellow.

Capital Sweet & Samosa has 1 yellow in it's entire history, or at least, that of which is online for viewing.

G's Fine Foods also has 1 yellow.

Just Thai has 3 yellows since 2010.

Pho Mi Asia has only had 1 yellow.

The Pho Phuong that received the yellow recently, has a total of 2.

Sea-Hi Famous Chinese Food has a total of 3.

Sushi O has a total of 4.

Those are the facts as they are. I will draw no conclusion from those facts. If anyone wants to call me a racist because of these facts, feel free. I've used my real name.
Nick J Boragina / July 31, 2012 at 10:31 pm
I decided to dig a little deeper.

There are only 3 places currently on the dinesafe website that have been closed twice within the record period.

TUNG HING BAKERY & COFFEE
KIM'S CAFE
CHINA CITY SUPERMARKET

I've actually eaten at the second one (ew) and can testify it is not "asian"

I'm certainly not racist for regurgitating the facts. If you want to say the inspectors are racist, and thus investigate asian joints harder, that is your prerogative.
Abe / July 31, 2012 at 11:04 pm
Always so much beef on these comment sections...everybody's so bitter. Like, the beef's gone bad. Someone close this joint.
Nick J Boragina / August 1, 2012 at 10:07 am
I like to suck on bananas
Gembaha replying to a comment from Nick J Boragina / August 1, 2012 at 03:34 pm
I hope they were inspected and peeled first.