This Week in Food: The White Brick Kitchen, The Feel Good Guru, Le Dolci, Blues & Brews, TUM, Market 707/Food Truck Eats mash-up this weekend
This Week in Food rounds up the week's food news, restaurants openings and closings, chef movements and upcoming food events in Toronto. Find us here every Friday morning.
OPENINGS & CLOSINGS
- The White Brick Kitchen is now serving up brunch and comfort food classics like deviled eggs, tater tots and meatloaf at 641 Bloor Street West.
- The Feel Good Guru has opened its doors, offering vegan fare and healthy take-out options at 917 Queen Street West.
- Le Dolci's new location at 1006 Dundas Street West is now open, and is part cupcakery and part food-enthusiast's studio. The retail cafe sells edibles and decorating supplies while the studio space offers classes in sweet table essentials.
- Jamie Kennedy's Corktown restaurant, Gilead Café and Bistro (4 Gilead Place) will reinvent itself on June 15th. The usual dinner service will no longer be on offer; instead, diners can look forward to a dedicated event space for classes, dinner series and themed events.
- American chain, PF Chang's China Bistro will be opening its first Canadian location on July 27th at the Shops at Don Mills.
- Wychwood Barns (76 Wychwood Avenue) hosts Blues & Brews tonight (Friday, June 8th) from 7 to 11 pm. Food and drink will be provided by Barque Smokehouse and Amsterdam Brewery. Tickets are $25 at the door and will support the WBCA.
- President's Choice 1000 Tastes of Toronto kicks off Luminato this weekend (June 9th and 10th) in the Distillery District. More than 30 of Toronto's favourite restaurants and chefs present $5 plates, each featuring a Canadian ingredient.
- Market 707 teams up with Food Truck Eats on Saturday, June 9th at the Scadding Court Community Centre (707 Dundas Street West). This Street Food Block Party will feature dozens of vendors, free entertainment and a Gone Fishin` fish fry.
- The Toronto Underground Market returns Saturday, June 9th at the Evergreen Brick Works (550 Bayview Avenue). Old faves are back plus new vendors like Neptuno Oysters, Swine Shrine, Seven Lives and Bix Bakery.
- The Stop's Beer Garden is back Sunday, June 10th with beer from Hogtown Brasserie and food by Last Splash TO. Enjoy the afternoon at The Stop's Green Barn (1884 Davenport Road) in the Sheltered Garden from 1 to 5 pm.
- If you've ever wondered the true identity of local twitter phenom, @chefgrantsoto OR, better still, if you've always wanted to eat at Captain John's Harbour Boat Restaurant (1 Queen's Quay), then get your tickets to A Night of Gravitas on July 25th, 7 pm. The $150 ticket includes a seafood feast and open bar, with proceeds going to charity.
- Newly minted Top Chef winner Carl Heinrich has announced that a new restaurant, Richmond Station, is in the works and expected to open in August.
- Luminato presents the Toronto Carretilla Initiative at various locations around the city from June 9th to the 17th. The transient installation from Austrian artist Rainer Prohaska, assembles shopping carts into mobile kitchens and encourages the public to collectively prep and partake in a meal.
- The Burger's Priest is hosting The Ultimate Burger Eating Contest on July 28th at their 3397 Yonge Street location. Ambitious eaters can apply as of June 15th via video to become one of four contestants to eat The Priest's tallest burger yet.
Photo courtesy of Le Dolci's Facebook page