This Week in Food: The Real Jerk and Veritas close, Food Trucks Drop Science, and The Banana Mafia bring Chinese street food to Amsterdam Brewery
This Week in Food rounds up the week's food news, restaurants openings and closings, chef movements and upcoming food events in Toronto. Find it here every Friday morning.
OPENINGS & CLOSINGS
- Parkdale just got even sweeter with the announcement that Glory Hole Doughnuts is set to open their first retail location this summer at 1596 Queen Street West.
- The East Ender has laid claim to the former Tomi-kro space, and will offer dishes such as chili and chocolate-braised short ribs.
- The Real Jerk (709 Queen Street East) announced that May 31st will be the last day at the Queen and Broadview location it's occupied for almost a quarter century. The new location will be tweeted on Wednesday, May 23rd.
- It turns out that last month's Death Row Meals really was the last supper for Chef Brad Long's Veritas (234 King Street East). The owners of neighbouring bar Betty's are set to take over the space.
- As we reported earlier this week, Hoof Raw Bar (926 Dundas Street West) is now open adjacent to Black Hoof. Now will that be surf or turf?
- Ontario Food Trucks will be Dropping Science this Saturday, May 12th at U of T's nation-wide science fair, Science Rendezvous (60 St. George Street).
- Death Row Meals presents Fish Bits on Sunday, May 13th at The Gabardine (372 Bay Street). As the name suggests, this is a nose-to-tail menu featuring 6 courses and wine pairings. Advance tickets are $140.
- The Amsterdam Brewery (21 Bathurst Street) will play host to The Banana Mafia's Asian Street Market on Monday, May 14th starting at 7pm. Join Nick Liu (Gwai Lo), Robert Hojilla (Ursa), Leemo Han (Swish by Han), Jeff Claudio (Yours Truly) and Jonathan Poon (Chantecler) as they serve up dishes showcasing modern Asian cuisine.
- Jon Forbes (Forbes Wild Foods) presents an evening of wild eating with Green Bites: Foraged Foods at the Evergreen Brickworks (550 Bayview Avenue) on Thursday, May 17th.
- Saturday, May 19th is Food Revolution Day at the The Kitchen Studio (1 Yorkville Avenue). This hands-on event features cooking class for parents and children with the aim of empowering people with the necessary skills to improve their diets. Space is limited and registration is required.
- Starting May 23rd (until August 29th) the Toronto Sausage League returns to Marben Restaurant (488 Wellington Street West) on Wednesday nights. Chefs, butchers, and artisans will compete one-on-one in a battle to see who can create the most mouth-watering sausage dish.
- Reserve your space for Le Brunch at Brassaii (461 King Street West) on Sunday, May 27th. Hosted in part with Aeroplan Vintage Eyewear, this brunch event features a $45 prix fixe menu and champagne bottle service.
- Matt Blondin has announced that his departure from Acadia (50 Clinton Street) is set for May 31st.
- Documentary Mugaritz BSO screens at Jackman Hall tonight (May 11th), followed by a book signing with chef Andoni Luis Aduriz of Spain's Mugaritz Restaurant (recently named third in The World's 50 Best Restaurants). Tickets are $60 and are available at The Cookbook Store.
- The Drake Hotel is expanding to Prince Edward County in 2013. The new rural outpost will feature farm-to-table dining from Chef Chris Sanderson.
Photo from Glory Hole Doughnuts Facebook page