This Week in Food: The Dog & Bear, Paulette's Original Donuts and Chicken, Buca Yorkville, Gelato Pizza, Toronto Taste and Pork Ninja BBQ Thursdays
This Week in Food rounds up the week's food news, restaurants openings and closings, chef movements and upcoming food events in Toronto. Find us here every Friday morning.
OPENINGS & CLOSINGS
- Paulette's Original Donuts and Chicken is the delicious new concept from the same team behind Delica Kitchen. The Leslieville location at 913 Queen Street East is set to open mid-June.
- Gelato Pizza will be bringing pizza to the old Ethel's space at Queen and Winnifred.
- New food truck Rome'n Chariot launched this week offering Italian street side comfort food.
- Keep an eye out for new Brit-pub and brunch destination, The Dog & Bear at 1100 Queen Street West. The team behind Parts & Labour will launch a soft opening this weekend with the full menu set to follow in the coming weeks.
- Acclaimed King West restaurant, Buca continues its expansion. The same team behind The Saint is teasing us again with promises of a second Buca location to open in Yorkville this fall.
- Sunday, May 27th marks The Return of The Stop's Beer Garden. Drop by from 1 pm to 5pm and sample beer by Muskoka Cottage Brewery and Indonesian pulled pork tacos & Michelidas by Hot Mess Hall.
- Don't miss one of the city's most anticipated culinary events when The Daniels Corporation presents Toronto Taste on Sunday, May 27th. A $250 ticket grants you access to the ROM (100 Queen's Park), and the work of 60 top Toronto chefs.
- The Culinary Adventure Company presents Mushroom Forage and Gourmet BBQ on Sunday, May 27th from 9 am to 1:30 pm. Explore the Don Valley in search of wild edibles followed by a prepared gourmet lunch.
- Jamie Kennedy hosts a Spring Feast at Gilead Cafe on Monday, May 28th. This communal dining experience is part of the ongoing Local Food Movement series and features an hors d'oeuvres reception with sparkling wine, followed by a four-course dinner.
- Group of 7 Chefs serve up a Vegetarian Dinner on Monday, May 28th at Wychwood Barn #4 (601 Christie Street). Tickets for this 7-course meal are $100 or $140 with wine pairings.
- The Pork Ninjas have claimed Thursday nights at The Depanneur. This weekly drop-in dinner starts Thursday, May 31st and promises $10 plates of BBQ all summer long.
- Kampai Toronto Festival of Sake takes place at The Distillery District on Thursday, May 31, from 6:30 pm to 9 pm.
- Alexandra Feswick (ex-Brockton General) will be the chef de cuisine at The Samuel J. Moore opening in July at The Great Hall (1087 Queen Street West).
- Learn about Pickling with The Cookbook Store on Thursday, May 31th at 7pm. This class is helmed by Jennifer Mackenzie, author of The Complete Book of Pickling and the $30 fee includes a copy of her book.
- TO Food Fest plans to bring a TUM-like market to the Markham/Scarborough area. GTA chefs and vendors are invited to sign-up now to take part in the first market set for the end of July.