This Week in Food: Farmhouse Tavern, Paint Box Bistro, Bulgogi Brothers coming soon, MEAT your maker at Barque Smokehouse and Cinco de Mayo festivities
OPENINGS & CLOSINGS
- Farmhouse Tavern at 1627 Dupont Street cites rural Ontario as the inspiration for their new locavore eatery set to open in June in the spot previously occupied by June Harlowe Foods.
- Paint Box Bistro (555 Dundas Street East) announced ambitious plans to become a Regent Park food hub when it opens in September.
- Korean chain Bulgogi Brothers (140 York Boulevard) is opening its first location in North American. Adding to 30 locations already operating in Korea, the new location is set to open in Richmond Hill soon.
- Kitch is officially set to introduce Dovercourt Village to its Mexican comfort food.
- The Rusholme Park Supper Club celebrates Cinco de Mayo on Saturday, May 5th at The Depanneur (1033 College Street). Margret Hefner serves up a fresh take on traditional Mexican dishes.
- The Drake Hotel (1150 Queen Street West) hosts a hotel-wide Cinco de Mayo fiesta featuring a Tacos + Tequila menu. All day, Saturday May 5th.
- The Cheese Boutique's Festival of Chefs kicks off this weekend with Rob Gentile (Buca) on location of Saturday, May 5th and Lora Kirk (Ruby Watchco) in store on Sunday, May 6th. The minimum $5 donation gets you a glass of wine and a dish to sample.
- The GE Café Chefs Series is back Tuesday, May 8th from 6 to 9pm at the Evergreen Brick Works (550 Bayview Avenue). This month, get intimate with vegetarian Chef Denis Cotter as he presents, Seasonal Cooking: Spring is Back!
- The Gladstone Hotel (1214 Queen Street West) celebrates the inaugural service of Chef Mike Smith with a Culinary Tour on Wednesday, May 9th. Reserve now to enjoy a four course prix fixe dinner including 4 flights of wine.
- 416 Snack Bar (181 Bathurst Street) is hosting a Pop Up Lunch series starting at noon each day from May 10th to 16th. In honour of The Grid's one year anniversary, each lunch hour will feature $5 plates from restaurants across the city.
- Herbal Infusions (404 Adelaide Street West) hosts the SweetTable.ca on Saturday, May 12th for an evening event (7pm to 9pm) featuring tea inspired desserts like chai cupcakes, matcha truffles and chocolate whoopee pies with matcha buttercream.
- Spirit of Toronto 2012 takes places at Roy Thompson Hall (60 Simcoe Street) on Saturday, May 12th from 6:30 pm to 10pm and features live music, over 100 single malts and premium sprits and food from Daniel et Daniel.
- Barque Smokehouse (299 Roncesvalles Avenue) will host the first of Dishcrawl's new dinner series. "MEAT your maker" takes place Monday, May 14th at 8pm.
- Tickets are on sale now for The Stop's Big Night at the Green Barn. This special dinner takes place Wednesday, June 6th at The Wychwood Barns (601 Christie Street) and celebrates Nonna-inspired dishes from Chris Brown (The Stop), Lorenzo Loseto (George) and Guido Saldini (Noce).
- Jason Browne (formerly of Veritas) is now at Brockton General (1321 Dundas Street West) after the departure of Alexandra Feswick a couple weeks back.
- Newly launched Pig Iron Coffee Roasters is now available by the cup at Lit Espresso Bars (810 College Street and 221 Roncesvalles Avenue). This local roastery is Ontario's only to use a refurbished vintage cast-iron Probat.
- Toronto's Big Smoke Burger announced plans to expand into the New York and Chicago markets with the first of 50 planned locations set to open in Manhattan later this year.