Saturday, April 19, 2014Partly Cloudy 10°C
Deadpool

Centro and Colborne Lane to close

Posted by Robyn Urback / February 22, 2013

Colborne LaneAdd two more to the deadpool list. According to reports in Post City, Centro up at Yonge and Eglinton and Colborne Lane in King East will soon serve their last meals.

Claudio Aprile explains Colborne Lane's extremely imminent closure (last day is tomorrow) as a way of shifting his focus on other projects, telling Post City, "I feel that I've said everything I've had to say with this restaurant." Centro, on the other hand, will be converted into an entirely new Italian restaurant according to co-owner Armando Mano, one that will boast a new look, name, staff, and menu with lower price points than Centro. That new restaurant will be unveiled sometime in April.

bob loblaw / February 22, 2013 at 11:10 am
"I feel that I've said everything I've had to say with this restaurant" = I am broke.
Jay / February 22, 2013 at 11:31 am
you mean a business that isnt being shut down for a condo? Is this a first in Toronto?
The Other Neil / February 22, 2013 at 11:38 am
I went to Colborne Lane once and had the tasting menu. A few of the dishes were off (including the much anticipated foie gras) and I had emailed them to voice my concern. They offered no apologies and chalked it up to 'experimentation'. I was thinking for $110 a head before tax, tip and drinks, you better be beyond the experimental stage...it turned me off that place for good.
Tom Thomson replying to a comment from bob loblaw / February 22, 2013 at 11:39 am
Uh, Bob, your smart ass comment is an inaccurate guess. I'm personally not a fan after a few tries, but Mr. Aprile's other joint is packed all the time.
ChantelleJoy / February 22, 2013 at 12:49 pm
Have a look below for an article I wrote specifically about this closure and what I feel it means for the city:
stopitman replying to a comment from ChantelleJoy / February 22, 2013 at 03:53 pm
Toronto is way behind other places in terms of what kind of restaurants (in terms of what they sell or specialise in) it has when compared to other cities. Hell, even Hamilton has some more unique places than Toronto (and for better prices, too). Plus, these places may be closing because there isn't a particular interest in dining there.
bob loblaw replying to a comment from Tom Thomson / February 22, 2013 at 04:03 pm
So would your comment be an inaccurate guess too or are you privy to additional information?
Henry Gallagher / February 22, 2013 at 05:07 pm
Toronto is rich in culinary diversity but as a city where the majority are emigrants for whom dinner out is a luxury, high end restaurants have always faced a challenge. As Michael Carlevale once said, "Toronto doesn't dance;Toronto doesn't drink champagne and Toronto doesn't do tasting menus." Claudio Aprile's menus at Colborne Lane have been innovative and enjoyable, using the principle of molecular gastromomy without the unfettered silliness of the Grant Achatz menus at Alinea. He knows his market and when, in this town, to shift his focus.
Julian / February 22, 2013 at 11:58 pm
I'd put an Italian buffet in there with all you can eat salad and garlic bread. Hard to find good Italian buffets anymore, where you can sit down and eat, enjoy, all you eat...
Julian replying to a comment from Julian / February 23, 2013 at 12:01 am
Call it something like - Luigi's P&B. Luigi's Pasta & Bar. Classic Rustic Italian.
Shaggy / February 23, 2013 at 12:51 am
Bob loblaw / FEBRUARY 22, 2013 AT 11:10 AM

Do some research and you will find out that he owns 2 other restaurants and in opening a 3rd in a few weeks, under the Origin Brand....Wow some people's children!!
mike replying to a comment from bob loblaw / February 25, 2013 at 04:35 pm
This may come as a surprise to you "bob" but, Claudio is actually a very successful and wealthy man, who I personally know. probably more successful than you'll ever be...
Jules replying to a comment from Julian / February 25, 2013 at 10:52 pm
Vinnies Tratitooria that'd be a SICK NAME!
vps / March 14, 2013 at 11:37 am
Your blog is amazing. You write about very interesting things. Thanks for all your tips and information
apartment movers Orlando / April 10, 2013 at 10:39 pm
Hey there! I just wanted to ask if you ever have any problems
with hackers? My last blog (wordpress) was hacked
and I ended up losing several weeks of hard work due
to no backup. Do you have any methods to protect against hackers?
louis vuitton bags us / April 25, 2013 at 08:59 am
If you’re a Facebook user and have an Android device, you’ve got what might be a rather easy decision ahead of you. louis vuitton bags us http://cheaplouisvuittonbagsoutletus.webs.com/ louis vuitton bags us