Wednesday, April 23, 2014Clear 5°C
Deadpool

Linuxcaffe looks distinctly deadpool

Posted by Chris Bateman / August 10, 2012

Linuxcaffe deadpoolThings aren't looking good for popular coffee shop and tech hub Linuxcaffe. Earlier this summer, management papered up the windows and posted signs announcing a temporary closure for renovations. Sadly, it seems the store has failed to emerge from its cocoon. The notices have come down without explanation and the store's phone has been disconnected.

Speaking with other store owners in the area, it seems as though Linux has now been dormant for some time. Next door neighbour Tosca Teran, who runs Nanopod: Hybrid Studio, a jewellery workshop, says the landlord has a signed lease with another "well-known" local cafe that's ready to take over the space.

As the name suggests, the coffee shop was a home for Toronto's open-source software developers as well as a meeting place for less technologically minded locals. Opened in 2003 in an old convenience store, the shop specialized in dark roast coffee, home baked treats and friendly cyberphile welcomes.

The Harbord and Grace cafe is listed as "permanently closed" on Google Maps, and no-one seems to have disputed that fact through the available channels. Emails and phone calls to Linuxcaffe have so far gone unanswered.

We'll provide an update post if/when we find out anything more about the closure or the new cafe that's rumoured to be on its way.

Photo: "Linux Caffe + Imagemynation.com" by artnation_canada in the blogTO Flickr pool.

NERRRRRRRRRRRDS / August 10, 2012 at 02:18 pm
All Linux lusers switched to Macs ages ago.
Right replying to a comment from NERRRRRRRRRRRDS / August 10, 2012 at 02:27 pm
and if you weren't such an obvious troll, you would realize that both Mac and Linux are *nix-based.
Right replying to a comment from NERRRRRRRRRRRDS / August 10, 2012 at 02:28 pm
Thanks for your oh so valuable contribution to this thread.
Patrick / August 10, 2012 at 02:30 pm
And I never even had the chance to visit it. :(
Jennifer / August 10, 2012 at 02:33 pm
Sad. This was one of my favorite spots in the area, great place to grab a coffee and go relax in the park nearby. The neighbourhood will miss you!
Alex replying to a comment from Right / August 10, 2012 at 03:25 pm
It's a joke dude, lighten up.
Mason / August 10, 2012 at 03:26 pm
What a great location for a Starbucks!
NERRRRRRRRDS / August 10, 2012 at 03:27 pm
You probably suspect that I'm one of those Mac users who knows sweet f all about my computer. It's true.
Chris Luckhardt / August 10, 2012 at 03:31 pm
I used to frequent Linuxcaffe quite often. I was last there on May 9th and it was busy (as usual). I stopped in a few weeks ago and saw the renovations sign. It was a great location to do some remote work.
Cale / August 10, 2012 at 03:38 pm
I would love it if Bakerbots or something similar opens in its place. Since it's beside Bickford park it would be great if they offer ice cream, ice cream sammies, baked goods, donuts, sweets etc... and not only crafted espresso drinks.

Sam James has two cafes within walking distance so it doesn't make sense to have yet another indie coffee shop.
Tux replying to a comment from Right / August 10, 2012 at 03:55 pm
You mad, Mac user?
326Harbord / August 10, 2012 at 05:05 pm
The original owner has taken over the space, not a "well-known" local cafe.

A new place is opening soon.
326Harbord / August 10, 2012 at 05:18 pm
The original owner has taken over the space, not a "well-known" local cafe.

A new place is opening soon.
Ron Grimes / August 10, 2012 at 05:28 pm
I'm real sorry to the Linuxcaffe pining away. It was my regular hangout when the memsahib was doing her music classes downtown, and it had a wonderful "home feeling". I hope Dave resurrects himself somewhere well, and soon.

I can't resist a follow-on comment to the above OS tiff: "It's long been my position that a Mac is just a BSD Unix platform with a pretentious front-end."
me / August 10, 2012 at 06:38 pm
i sure hope it opens as something with the same vibe. i enjoyed going there to get out of the house/school, and being able to use the wi-fi while sitting in the SE corner of bickford park.
Stan Gable / August 10, 2012 at 06:41 pm
On behalf of the Alpha Betas, let me add the following:

Get those nerds, Ogre!!!!!
Chris Bateman replying to a comment from 326Harbord / August 10, 2012 at 07:10 pm
Do you know something about this? Email me: chris at blogto dot com.
jiminy / August 10, 2012 at 09:36 pm
um....how can a place like that make any money if people park themselves there all day to do "remote work". duh?
Chris! replying to a comment from Mason / August 10, 2012 at 11:42 pm
Starbucks! I'm gonna bet from the description of a "'well-known local café" that it'll turn into a new Sam james.
Rick / August 11, 2012 at 12:06 am
I await the "Windows Caffe."
the lemur replying to a comment from Rick / August 11, 2012 at 12:43 am
You just know that that would randomly shut down for no apparent reason and have to be reopened, often several times a day ...
Rick replying to a comment from the lemur / August 11, 2012 at 01:24 pm
Yet it would still be surprisingly successful...
valerieinto / August 11, 2012 at 03:03 pm
This is sad. Hope it works out. Have spent many an hour there...on my Macs, with no hassle. :-P
drpcdr / August 16, 2012 at 11:48 pm
These are tough times for businesses that try to turn a profit while the disposable income of consumers continues to shrink.

Linux cafe was not open st Patrick's day 2012.

Geek stop where Linux is deployed onto Macs and low spec PCs
drpcdr / August 16, 2012 at 11:56 pm
Linux deployed while you eat lunch $20.00 per person!
Tim replying to a comment from 326Harbord / August 24, 2012 at 01:27 am
Is that you K-rock?

You got something up your sleeve?

Best of luck mate.
326 Harbord replying to a comment from Tim / August 29, 2012 at 02:15 pm
Thanks Tim!
Christina / January 13, 2013 at 12:09 am
I just moved back to Toronto and am sad to hear that my favourite café has closed. Shucks. Are there any updates regarding what'll be opening there? Thanks and best wishes to those who ran the lovely place!
John Kerr / January 29, 2013 at 01:55 pm
Sorry to see this place go. But running a Cafe is a tough business. It did well to keep going as long as it did, it was not in a high traffic area. I would go there as often as I could, but that was limited as I live in Guelph.
Ann-Marie replying to a comment from 326Harbord / March 7, 2013 at 11:01 am
Hi there,

Would you still be opening up something yourself? Any chance you are open to someone leasing the space?
cyb3rvoyag3r / May 8, 2013 at 06:48 pm
looks like linux is hitting hard times.. the macheads are moving in on linux territory.. ehhh gads.. just what we need more macheads at starbucks.. yikes... ohhh patrick where are you when we need you???
Me / May 8, 2013 at 06:55 pm
People could always use their computers at home........
Christina / June 22, 2013 at 03:29 pm
Waaaait! I biked past the ol' haunt yesterday and was surprised to see that the windows are no longer covered and it appears that there has been activity in there. There is hope! (Is there?)
Simonyyz / July 17, 2013 at 12:10 am
What is the function of hyper-local news blogs with a west-end orientation if not to cover this sort of thing? Where's the update?!
meezstephanie / September 12, 2013 at 11:13 pm
It's apparently now the Bickford Flexitarian. Has anyone been?!
whanganogue / October 2, 2013 at 10:03 pm
バッグ 店銀座 コーチシャネル 財布バック 人気ブランド通販 財布バッグ アウトレットcoach 腕時計バック 販売コーチ アウトレットメンズ バッグ トートキーリング コーチ財布 革coach 日本プラダ 財布コーチ 2wayバッグ 新作coach ショップアウトレット バッグコーチ 銀座コーチ 日本銀座 コーチ