Sunday, December 21, 2014Mostly Cloudy 1°C

New in Toronto real estate: River City Phase 3 condos

Posted by Derek Flack / August 14, 2014

River city 3 condosRiver City Phase 3 is one of the most interesting condo projects in Toronto from an architecture and design standpoint. Not that previous phases of the large scale development in the West Don Lands are any slouches, but the third phase is about as bold a design as Toronto gets in its residential towers - both inside and out. With a variety of modular features, Urban Capital's suite designs are both minimalist and functional, where it is the former term that one tends to see most often in isolation when it comes to condos around town.

At 29-storeys, the stacked design highlights the unique nature of each unit, while keeping things visually stimulating for those walking by. With landscape design from Claude Cormier, the outdoor spaces show play well off of the rest of the development, with a green roof and lap pool serving as particular highlights.

river city 3 condosSPECS

Location: Lower River St. and Eastern Avenue
Storeys: 29-storeys
Number of units: 330 high-design lofts and penthouses with 9 ft high ceilings
Types of units: Studios, 1 beds, 1 beds + dens, 2 beds, 2 beds + dens, 3 beds, townhouses, penthouses
Unit sizes: from 315 to 2,056 square feet
Walkscore: 87
Price: From $199,900 to $1.4m
Architect: Saucier + Perrotte
Interior designer: Urban Capital
Exterior designer: Claude Cormier
Developer: Urban Capital

river city 3 condosFEATURES

• 9' high ceilings
  • Floor-to-ceiling windows
  • Double storey family-friendly "loft-houses"
  • Built-in desks with above-desk internet and electrical outlets
  • 2,000 square foot gym, fitness and yoga centre
  • Double height common room equipped with a show kitchen
  • Eclectic reading room with bean bags
  • Tool-equipped hobby and crafts room
  • Children's play space
  • Private theatre and guest suite

river city 3 condosTHE VERDICT

I suppose I sound rather glowing on this one, but that's because there's a lot to like. Using architects with more institutional background to design something residential has paid off here, as the building is both unique and practical. It's also got a wide range of unit types and sizes, which means that families priced out of the housing market might look here for an alternative.

The amenities are above average (the large gym is of note here) and the area is proximate to downtown and while still a work in progress, already features draws like Corktown Common, Underpass Park, and the Distillery District. Not much to dislike here at all.

River city 3 condosRead other posts in this series via our Toronto Condos and Lofts Pinterest board.

Potrzebie / August 14, 2014 at 10:30 am
I, for one, welcome the return of Brutalism with open arms.
fdfas / August 14, 2014 at 10:44 am
Looks like a building in Fallout 3.

One point - My condo, like the one pictured has a small pool. Why bother? Give people a real pool that is more than 1 M deep and 4 M across or don't have a pool at all.
kn / August 14, 2014 at 11:03 am
I, for one, think you need to review the definition of Brutalism.
iSkyscraper / August 14, 2014 at 11:12 am
I, for one, welcome our new Quebecois overlords.

Saucier + Perrotte are absolute rock stars and need to do more work in Toronto.

The offsetting has some practical issues (how do you flash and maintain these roof areas? How do you manage window cleaning?) but hot damn, keep it coming.
John Labatt / August 14, 2014 at 12:33 pm
315 sq ft for $199.000 when can i move in. The reason i am moving in cause thy have "Eclectic reading room with bean bags"
I'll Pass / August 14, 2014 at 12:55 pm
It's trying too hard and looks a bit silly.
Garneau / August 14, 2014 at 01:10 pm
More awesome sauce gettin' poured 'round the T. Dizzy. Keep 'em comin'!
Potrzebie replying to a comment from kn / August 14, 2014 at 02:26 pm
"I, for one, think you need to review the definition of Brutalism."

Look at that last photo and scold me again, grasshopper.

shoeboxliver replying to a comment from Potrzebie / August 14, 2014 at 03:11 pm
Bonerism more like it.
kn / August 14, 2014 at 03:17 pm
Go take a look at the site in which this building is being built. It's tiny. It's basically a sliver of land that is adjacent to a lifted road. Brutalism with that kind of colour palette for the exterior and such a fine footprint? They certainly wouldn't have allowed so much of the surface area to be windows either - with the south/east side all glass balconies. The majority of the bottom of the building is glass as well. There's a little park that was designed for the underpass to help connect the 2 sides of the community. As far as condos go, this is a quantum leap forward for Toronto. In fact, this community is shaping up very nicely. As always though, every building is a condominium. There doesn't seem to be any freehold 4 to 5 story stack town homes i.e. solutions for families.
TJ / August 14, 2014 at 03:33 pm
Looks cool, at least its something a bit different than the rest of the glass towers but "family friendly loft houses"? Nice. I'm sure many families can afford $800,000-$1.4mil for these family friendly loft houses with monthly condo maintenance fees starting around $700/month. Despite all they've done, I still have reservations about flash flooding (from the Don River) here at this location.
Bill / August 14, 2014 at 03:46 pm
Whoever's tackle they modeled this on needs to get himself checked out.
Jeepers / August 14, 2014 at 04:05 pm
These look really neat, but perhaps there is a concern that people living in $1M condos will want the DVP dismantled to reduce noise and improve their neighbourhood, similar to the people living in condos near the Gardiner.
Jack / August 14, 2014 at 04:09 pm
Hmmm...I wonder how well they're going to insulate those bump-outs? I foresee mighty chilly floors in the winter. But kudos for at least thinking outside the box.
Laura / August 14, 2014 at 05:39 pm
I can't believe 315 sq feet is even allowed!
Dogma / August 14, 2014 at 06:08 pm
They'll look pretty good when they finish off those outer walls.
linden / August 14, 2014 at 06:14 pm
what is more interisting is there are still people who buy into these new developments. With the size of the unites, the exorbitant maintenance fees, which resemble a second mortgage, and the same all glass design, Toronto condos are turning into one of the most unplesant features of the city.
seanm replying to a comment from Jack / August 14, 2014 at 07:27 pm
My guess is that they'll insulate it using insulation. I don't know, just going out on a limb here.
BobTheBuilder replying to a comment from seanm / August 14, 2014 at 08:07 pm
Actually its hot water lines within the concrete floor slabs..... and insulation of course.
reality / August 15, 2014 at 12:46 pm
Insulation or no insulation I'm betting those exposed boxes will be cold in the winter. Habitat, anyone?
JMB2 / August 16, 2014 at 05:36 am
I see extraordinary window washing assessments AND hundreds of personal injury claims stemming from shards of ice falling off the building all winter long.

Let's build this thing !!!

Carl m / August 30, 2014 at 05:03 am
This area will benefit when the office complex across the street that first gulf is building goes up(old Unilever site). Toronto is definitely moving East. Being in the coolest designed building in the next up and coming area is definitely a no brainer.
Jessie H. / September 2, 2014 at 01:12 pm
I've noticed in a couple of proposed future transit plans either a "river street" stop or nearby access for a waterfront line. Regardless, there is a huge project being spearheaded by waterfront toronto to revitalize this area, don't know too many other condo districts with a well funded panel who's sole job is to develop their immediate areas. In 5 years time this will be Torontos most high demand area. Have you parked and walked around the new park there? I felt like I was in NYC. I myself have not yet purchased a condo in the area as I am contemplating a large renovation on my existing home but I think if I do make that plunge, based on my research and the design and media coverage of RC3 ( first page of Globe Real Estate) I would go with that and just let the pan am games be self promotion for what exactly is going on in that area
DH79 / October 5, 2014 at 08:47 am
Haven't drove by this area in a few years....wow what a change looks amazing . rC3 seems to be located right where Bayview Ave starts which I think is pretty cool. Lots of potential here it seems but I think area still has about 5 years to get to a "king west" feel which I assume is a bad thing for people moving in rc1 and rc2 now as there is not much to do (but then again im sure things must be done for panam games next year) but rc3 will have perfect mix of getting in early to let area appreciate and build so area is lively when move in time