Friday, October 24, 2014Clear 6°C

Everything you need to know about our new streetcars

Posted by Derek Flack / August 20, 2014

new streetcar ttcAnticipation over the arrival of the new TTC streetcar has reached fever pitch, if such a thing is possible with a commuter vehicle. With less than two weeks set to pass before the first vehicle goes into service on the 510 Spadina line, the TTC has put together an explainer video meant to tout the new features of the cars and to build the hype even more. And despite all the previous coverage we've devoted to these new streetcars already, there's a few features that haven't got much attention.

We know that there's all-door boarding on the Flexity streetcar, but TTC CEO Andy Byford and spokesperson Brad Ross show off that passengers can open each door from the exterior of the vehicle with the press of a button. Flashing red lights warn motorists and cyclists that streetcar doors are opening (and are reminiscent of an EDM show), and there's even a bicycle storage area in the fourth section of the streetcar. The accessibility features are also state of the art.

After the cars begin service on Spadina, they will be added to the 511 Bathurst and 509 Harbourfront routes in 2015, followed by the 505 Dundas in 2015 and 2016. The 501 Queen, 508 Lakeshore, and 504 King will be in service by 2016/2017. Remaining routes will receive cars by 2019. Watch the video and get even more excited.

Photo by Steve Chui

Lindsay / August 20, 2014 at 10:48 am
The cars look great and have a lot of cool features, but they're going to be an absolute nightmare in traffic. Being as long as they are, they're constantly going to be running reds and getting stuck in the middle of intersections.

hn / August 20, 2014 at 10:49 am
Plus those ramps are going to give soccer moms a license to board at the most inconvenient times. (IE. Morning/After work)
Rob Ford / August 20, 2014 at 10:50 am
SUBWAYS SUBWAYS SUBWAYS

VOTE FORD
Glenn Zembal / August 20, 2014 at 10:53 am
These Streetcar's Are Going To Cause MORE Congestion In Toronto! But Who Care's They Are Only In The Downtown Anyway LOL!!! Listen to My Soundcloud For Great Pro-Ford Songs!!! FORD MORE YEARS!!!1
Sarah / August 20, 2014 at 10:54 am
These are perfect for loading strollers and bikes! Big Win!
Lindsay / August 20, 2014 at 10:54 am
I guess the ramps are for strollers too? I didn't even think about that.

So every time there is a stroller, they press the button, the car stops, the driver comes out and helps the stroller on ... then goes back to his seat?

That will be a long commute.
John replying to a comment from Lindsay / August 20, 2014 at 10:55 am
That's some piss-poor reasoning, Lindsay. Just because they are long means that the drivers are "constantly going to be running reds"? That makes no sense.
Duckers / August 20, 2014 at 11:01 am
The busiest line (504) in the city gets them last. Seems logical.
g replying to a comment from Sarah / August 20, 2014 at 11:07 am
There's no reason for bikes to be on streetcars, bikes should be biking on the street.
Dane replying to a comment from Lindsay / August 20, 2014 at 11:07 am
Not your concern how the TTC controls fares when people are getting on through 4 doors. Go back to bed, don't worry your pretty little head over it.
Lindsay replying to a comment from John / August 20, 2014 at 11:09 am
John - All I'm saying is that traffic doesn't "flow" downtown - it's gridlock. So with these cars being as long as they are, it's going to be hard for them to make it through intersections when they need however many meters of 'free space' - which doesn't exist during rush hour. I'm wondering how they're going to make it through intersections is all.

I'm not saying they're going to be constantly running reds on purpose... or however you interpreted my comment.

Pizzzzz / August 20, 2014 at 11:10 am
Pissssssss piss piss piss pizzzzzzzzy piss piss.
Lindsay replying to a comment from Dane / August 20, 2014 at 11:16 am
Hey you. Don't be rude.
The TTC always complains about fare-cutters, so I'm wondering how they'll deal with it, that's all.
I'm not worrying my "pretty little head"... I was under the impression this was a discussion about the new streetcars, which I am discussing. Or is this just an outlet to be a jerk to people you've never met? My mistake...
Hawker Siddeley / August 20, 2014 at 11:16 am
If only all that white was cream, these cars would look really kick-ass!
Tim replying to a comment from Lindsay / August 20, 2014 at 11:19 am
"Also, how are they going to control fares when people are getting on through 4 doors?"

The same way they do today with the articulated streetcars that we currently have. There will need to be TTC Transit Officers checking people when they get on.
J replying to a comment from g / August 20, 2014 at 11:19 am
That's how I feel about the SUV stroller. Get them the hell of the streetcars during rush hour. Get a small stroller or carry your kid.
Johnson / August 20, 2014 at 11:22 am
Why is the 504 & 501 routes getting the new streetcar after the 509 and 505?

Aren't the 504 and 501 busier?

Fred replying to a comment from g / August 20, 2014 at 11:25 am
there is a reason for bikes to be on the steetcar. Sometimes you have a flat tire, its pouring rain OR you are travelling a far distance that requires some transportation. Now I can drive my car to Etobicoke from the beaches adding another Car to the roads or I can take the TTC for a long haul and ride when I'm closer to my destination.
Fred replying to a comment from J / August 20, 2014 at 11:26 am
That's how I feel about back packs on the street car at rush hour. Get a smaller bag to carry only the essentials you need, walk home, or travel before or after rush hour with your whole life packed into a back pack.
Tammy replying to a comment from g / August 20, 2014 at 11:31 am
There's also no reason for DOGS on the street car. They take up standing room space sometimes even seats and don't pay a fare. Lap dog is fine if you can hold it. But why should I be inconveinced and pushed out of the way because you decided to have a big german shepherd in the downtown core. The animal needs to be walked, walk the dog, get them off the TTC unless you require an assistance dog in order to help you with an impairment.
gonzo / August 20, 2014 at 11:35 am
Wow - such amazing 1930's technology. Maybe one day someone will invent a moving vehicle that doesn't require tracks or connecting wires. Wave of the future!
Ryan / August 20, 2014 at 11:39 am
I agree. The TTC should charge by square footage taken up by the user. If I'm just standing there, I'll pay the base fare. If you have a massive stroller that takes up 5x the space I do, you should pay 5x the fare. If you have a wheelchair, the same thing. Sorry, but if airlines are charging larger people for two seats, the TTC should do the same thing.

People with disabilities want to be treated as equals, this is how it's done. In my Toronto; everyone is equal. No one get preferential treatment.
Yvonne T. / August 20, 2014 at 11:45 am
The only thing I care about are:

- Are they faster?
- Are there going to be less frequent "stuck on tracks" moments where they hold up traffic?
- Will they require less maintenance than the existing?

If not, waste of money on improvements!
Victor / August 20, 2014 at 11:50 am
The guy looks like Lily's dad from How I Met Your Mother!
mar replying to a comment from Duckers / August 20, 2014 at 11:51 am
says the person who has clearly never been on the spadina streetcar
Warren Kinsella tweet angers John Tory campaign / August 20, 2014 at 11:52 am
Warren Kinsella tweet angers John Tory campaign

The hiring of Mr. Kinsella is reflective of what the residents of Toronto and the GTA can expect from Ms. Chow's politics. Mr. Kinsella's political personality is known, and Ms. Chow embraces him as a leader.
mar replying to a comment from Ryan / August 20, 2014 at 11:55 am
Ryan, Tammy, J you guys are the worst. how do you manage to live in a city? All the kleenex for you!
Marc / August 20, 2014 at 11:59 am
The people in this city are the worst
Qaz / August 20, 2014 at 12:02 pm
So for people who don't have enough time to read all of the comments here, I will sum up what people are saying about these awesome new streetcars.

They are on the wrong routes

They will cause more congestion and block intersections

Handicapped people and parents with strollers will slow everyone down and take up too much space, so we need to not let them on or charge more

People with backpacks take up to much space

Dogs take up too much space

These streetcars with much more space in them are too big

Having people enter through all the doors is just crazy man, like how the, and what the, no way!

These high tech, zero emission vehicles are from the 1930s and should be replaced by buses.
Stephen replying to a comment from hn / August 20, 2014 at 12:07 pm
Um excuse me? The TTC is a public service, provided by tax dollars. Everyone is entitled to board at any time. This includes moms, dads and people with disabilities. People need to get places at all different times.
Sa / August 20, 2014 at 12:10 pm
I just wish there was something more in these cars to protect passengers from bikes & cars blasting through the open doors. There should be a camera to catch license plates of the inbreds that drive past when passengers are boarding/exiting (unfortunately, there's no real way to protect against bicyclists because it'll be impossible to track them down unless an officer is actually there).
Yes to Streetcars / August 20, 2014 at 12:11 pm
Stay out in Mr & Mrs Sauga if you don't like what happens with streetcars downtown. Or Etobicrack, if that is where you happen to live in a dumpy raccoon infested bungalow.
Wes / August 20, 2014 at 12:17 pm
How many .mp3 can they hold?
Goldielover replying to a comment from g / August 20, 2014 at 12:22 pm
Plenty of people would put a bike on the Spadina car to get down to the lake shore so they can ride the Martin Goodman trail, or go across to the islands. Not all casual riders are comfortable riding in downtown traffic.
James replying to a comment from Sa / August 20, 2014 at 12:22 pm
Same here. School Buses have the basic stop sign that swing out, is clear to understand, and can't be misinterpreted. I'd love to see such a simple stop sign execution on these street cars. We all understand the official stop sign.
Cristina / August 20, 2014 at 12:36 pm
I can't believe how nasty the people in our city are becoming, and some of the comments to this story are a perfect reflection. Seriously, big strollers are a real problem? Have you tried to push a small through snow to get to the streetcar? What about two kids? I dread to think of the attitude and dirty looks given to single moms who have no options but to use the TTC. Let's stop being so me-me-me self-centered sour pickles, and go back to the attitude that used to make this city "Toronto the Good".
Red / August 20, 2014 at 12:38 pm
Come on folks - this isn't rocket science. Travel to Amsterdam and see how a real system works. Smooth as silk with fabulous efficient service. But then their entire system incorporates streetcar only lanes with protected loading platforms ..... Spadina, St. Clair!.

The TTC could finally consider integrating a card payment system .... hey, maybe they should pull the cork out and join Presto.
headout / August 20, 2014 at 12:39 pm
people with strollers shouldnt be downtown.

thats why we created the suburbs for you.
Gary / August 20, 2014 at 12:42 pm
Call me a geek or whatever but I am so excited and I will be trekking over to Spadina on the first day of operation. I've been wanting to ride in one of these for a long, long time. I can't wait!
Cause Imhappy / August 20, 2014 at 12:46 pm
I think Torontonians will become famous for being so grumpy and intolerant! Could this have something to do with everyone having to squish in with all this increased density whilst nothing is done to expand infrastructures?
iSkyscraper / August 20, 2014 at 12:49 pm
The nastiness of comments surrounding any post on streetcars these days would have been utterly imaginable in the 1980s, and is even more bizarre given how cities across North America are building streetcar lines right now to try and capture what Toronto already has.

But that shows you what decades of mismanagement and four years of lying, ignorant Idiocracy will do to the public mindset.

TTC knows they are on thin ice here, which is why the new vehicles will come out first on Spadina -- lighter traffic demands, ROW to keep things moving, platforms for the critical off-vehicle payment. They'll work all the kinks out before they go anywhere near King or Queen.
the lemur / August 20, 2014 at 12:52 pm
The ramps can be deployed by passengers, once the streetcar has already stopped. The driver doesn't need to get involved.

There are several reasons why you might want to carry a bike on a streetcar, as others have already said.

With any luck there will (finally) be signal priority on the routes that these operate on so they won't be at the mercy of drivers when crossing intersections.

There will be fare machines and Presto units at all the doors.

And yes, it'll be easier and cheaper overall to maintain these compared to the existing ones. The TTC won't need to hire a blacksmith to hand-make metal parts, for one thing.
Matt / August 20, 2014 at 12:57 pm
You guys realize the cause of the congestion downtown is the morons who drive downtown, rather than the public transit? Forty cars = forty commuters and takes up an entire block, one streetcar = over a hundred people and takes up the space of five cars. Motorists should literally be banned from entering the core of downtown. Sorry, just because you can afford a car does not mean you deserve to drive one and screw it all up for everybody else. Commuting from outside of Toronto? Park it on the outskirts of the city and hop onto the TTC to get into town. You'll get to work faster, and without having to drive for two hours through traffic, and the parking is cheaper.

Oh, but no, you earned that BMW goshdarnit, and you're going to DRIVE IT!
Matt replying to a comment from Cristina / August 20, 2014 at 01:04 pm
You do not need a stroller to mobilize your child. You only need one to prove to everybody else how much you "love your child", so you can feel less judged in your own insecurity. Further, why would it be the responsibility of everybody else to shoulder your choice of having a child? It's either hold your child, or stay at home until they can behave themselves. Like a responsible parent. You have errands? Get a babysitter. Can't afford a babysitter? Don't have children!
The Real Rob Ford / August 20, 2014 at 01:13 pm
Folks, I'm canning all the street cars-filling them with oil 'n sardines for TCHC folks: FREE FOOD FOR LIFE-VOTE ROB! Rip up all tracks & improve roads for cars:ALL SPEED LIMITS DOUBLED! Ban Bicycles-Brookfield rules everywhere. SHUT DOWN ALL SUBWAYS-except in Scarboro!! Vote sardines, vote Rob! IdidwhatIsaidIwoulddo-nothing!
Kimmy replying to a comment from Matt / August 20, 2014 at 01:16 pm
Matt, i think i love you!
Liberty Villain / August 20, 2014 at 01:22 pm
I would prefer if the TTC would alter it's rollout plans to have the 501/504/508 first. Those are now the busiest streetcar routes, and the ability to fill a new streetcar in a single boarding would definitely help alleviate traffic congestion along those routes.
Liberty Villain replying to a comment from iSkyscraper / August 20, 2014 at 01:24 pm
"They'll work all the kinks out before they go anywhere near King or Queen"

Valid point.
Michael replying to a comment from Matt / August 20, 2014 at 01:39 pm
Matt, you don't have twins, or triplets do you? Cause there is not a chance in hell I'd ask my wife to carry my three kids.

And yes, we both work from home but you know sometimes we still need to take the kids to the doctor's office or to family, or any number of other things. BTW, you know some children aren't angles. I'd love to ask your mother what raising you was like.

I Matt (I assume you are male) just hope you knock some girl up one day so you can see what having kids is like, and I'll be really mean, I hope you have identical twin boys!
Spike replying to a comment from Duckers / August 20, 2014 at 01:39 pm
And the reason for this is due to all of the other lines getting improvements in order to accommodate the new streetcars, as one lady streetcar driver told me-this will take years, so the new cars are being rolled out only on certain routes at first while said improvements are being made to the streets.
Jim jazz / August 20, 2014 at 01:46 pm
If you don't think people with strollers, bikes, or dogs should be allowed on the TTC, you should have a law made, but until then deal with it
Thomas replying to a comment from Johnson / August 20, 2014 at 01:50 pm
I believe the selected routes are due to all of the track construction required to run these larger street cars on.

Turns/corners have to be rebuilt in order to accommodate this is exactly why Dundas and Spadina is completely closed right now for construction.
SG / August 20, 2014 at 02:01 pm
I think these are great! I'm not a huge fan of the streetcar operator coming out for each person who requires assistance. People will have varying abilities - someone who is fully independent using their wheelchair probably doesn't really need the assistance, and may actually be offended. However, an elderly person using a walker may benefit from the extra assistance. I would think that the citizens of Toronto would help someone out if they need it - but if these responses are any indication of how the people of Toronto feel towards individuals using the ramp then that probably won't happen.
CW replying to a comment from Matt / August 20, 2014 at 02:22 pm
> Like a responsible parent. You have errands? Get a babysitter. Can't afford a babysitter? Don't have children!

Be a responsible person. If you cant handle being with others then dont take the TTC.

If it takes one thing to have kids its balls. It doesn't look like you'll be having kids.
KevinN / August 20, 2014 at 02:26 pm
They didn't mention payment.. using Presto cards etc. and the so called honor system I've been reading about.
Spike replying to a comment from Red / August 20, 2014 at 02:27 pm
Why should I or anybody else care about what Amsterdam does with its trams? And what would Amsterdam's examples do in helping Toronto?
the lemur replying to a comment from Spike / August 20, 2014 at 02:50 pm
Because other places sometimes have figured out how to deal with problems Toronto still seems to struggle with?

Amsterdam's streetcar system has way more separated rights-of-way and platforms, as Red mentioned, which would deal with the 'stepping out into traffic' issue. And also how to restrict a street to transit, pedestrians and bikes, should that ever come to pass here.
the lemur replying to a comment from Spike / August 20, 2014 at 02:55 pm
Oh, and also: Amsterdam streetcars sometimes have a person in a booth near the back who sells fares, validates passes, etc. So that no one needs to bug the driver about that and the tram loads faster through all doors. That would make things easier here as well.
GRBY / August 20, 2014 at 03:08 pm
Typical. It will take until 2015 until they get more than one new line of the new cars working.

Union workers are living in a fantasy land. If their lazy out of touch asses worked in the private sector they'd have a pile of pink slips so high they could piss on the CN Tower.
Kleenex Brand Tissues / August 20, 2014 at 03:32 pm
Wow I had no idea how #butthurt everyone was going to be.

Backpacks, strollers and dogs...oh my.

Are you people serious? Gathering your comments here, I figure the only way to make everyone happy is to:

1.Institute a 1 child No stroller policy on peoples.
2.Dogs will not be allowed out of their crates.
3.Highschool/University kids must now memorize all of their textbooks and not carry them.
4.Each driver will have calipers and if you are wider than a set width, you pay more.
5.Remove all but one door on each streetcar and anyone with a disability must never leave home.

Very reasonable.

Serge replying to a comment from g / August 20, 2014 at 03:34 pm
Unless you have a flat tire, or maybe you’re travelling really far and want to bike from your TTC destination.
tommy replying to a comment from Michael / August 20, 2014 at 03:35 pm
Strollers get a bad rap because there are few obvious places for people with strollers to park their stroller on the bus. The old buses had that empty space by the back doors, but with the new buses, parents take one look at the floor plan, freak-out becasue there is no space, then park RIGHT in between the wheelwells at the front of the bus, blocking EVERYONE getting on the bus.

Making matters worse, since the new doors on the Orion buses are wider, parents seem to think that this means they should buy wider and wider strollers. The awkward squeeze by the farebox and the skinny back doors on the old buses ensured parents bought smaller strollers that didn't block the bus aisles.

Now we have these new streetcars. Because of their low floor design, seat arrangements are such that the aisle is INCREDIBLY narrow, so we'll definitely be seeing parents trying to cram their strollers alongside the transverse seating. And the argument will continue....
Serge replying to a comment from Rob Ford / August 20, 2014 at 03:36 pm
Yes subways are important too, but our streetcar fleet is ancient and inaccessible for some people. These can hold way more people than a bus, often have their own lanes and don’t pollute.
Tim replying to a comment from tommy / August 20, 2014 at 03:41 pm
They were probably also designed for a traditional "umbrella" style stroller and not the massive stroller shopping carts with enough storage for all your purchases that are used today.
Great Idea replying to a comment from Amsterdam? / August 20, 2014 at 04:44 pm
Olivia Chow has some experience with these kind of workers as Jack Layton used to visit the Velvet Touch Massage parlor on Dundas St. W. We can count on her to implement if elected.
mar replying to a comment from headout / August 20, 2014 at 04:55 pm
whiners who cry about the inconvenience of living in a populated area shouldn't be downtown.

that's why we created the suburbs for you.
double check replying to a comment from Kimmy / August 20, 2014 at 04:59 pm
his first comment was great his second comment was sickening
leslievillian replying to a comment from Liberty Villain / August 20, 2014 at 05:01 pm
liberty villian? in Leslieville we call it leslievillians because of the ville. liberty village people are called liberty village idiots because of the idiots. please don't namejack.
Garenau replying to a comment from hn / August 20, 2014 at 05:03 pm
Let me guess: you're in your 20s, male, and the world owes you a lot, doesn't it.
hm replying to a comment from Garenau / August 20, 2014 at 05:32 pm
Or im middle aged, happily married for 15 years, doing well in life, with no need for anyone to owe me anything.

Could also be that.
heaven, is that you? replying to a comment from Kleenex Brand Tissues / August 20, 2014 at 05:33 pm
Sounds like my kind of Utopia.
iSkyscraper / August 20, 2014 at 05:48 pm
I wasn't kidding about the other-cities-are-building-streetcars part. Here is Atlanta (a fucked-up car city if there ever was one) testing their new streetcar:

And Washington DC (a city already full of subways-subways-subways):

Streetcars for everyone, it appears.
Thom / August 20, 2014 at 05:54 pm
Are you a CNE age guesser?
Johnny / August 20, 2014 at 06:25 pm
To all you fools who stand at the front.
Keep moving moving to the back.
Problem solved.

Although one day some bimbo or idiot texting and driving will plow right through the centre of one of the new streetcars... Watch and see.
Steven / August 20, 2014 at 07:13 pm
There will be room for bicycles in the back? WTF? Cyclists have their own lanes. Quit being lazy and don't ride the TTC.
Alexander / August 20, 2014 at 07:28 pm
LOL - Yah, excited until people realize they are going to run them half as much (double capacity) and you'll be waiting longer in winter...people don't seriously think they are buying these to increase capacity do they? They are buying them to maintain service but do it with fewer vehicles that, by definition, come less often.
afscott replying to a comment from Glenn Zembal / August 20, 2014 at 07:41 pm
Absolutely not.
jacie replying to a comment from Glenn Zembal / August 20, 2014 at 07:44 pm
You're a nutbar, obsessed with your man love Ford. Get a job instead of trolling al the comment threads! You're not a musician that's for certain and you know nothing about transit and what people want.
jacie replying to a comment from g / August 20, 2014 at 07:48 pm
Why do you care what someone else chooses to do with their bike?? They are only allowed on outside of rush hours times so there with be plenty of room for them. Worry about yourself.
jacie replying to a comment from Warren Kinsella tweet angers John Tory campaign / August 20, 2014 at 08:05 pm
get a life glenball nutball! YOU are reflective of what Ford brings to the city- insane trolls annoying the f out of everyone!
jacie / August 20, 2014 at 08:15 pm
sorry everyone. I'm horny, lonely, and a bit frustrated right now. Don't mean to lash out at everyone just waiting for my meds to kick in.
jacie replying to a comment from Matt / August 20, 2014 at 08:18 pm
The smartest comment on here Matt! I used to listen to this goofball from Oakville state that bikes should be banned from downtown Toronto b/c they made it a hassle for him to drive- dumb, greedy, delusional, suburbanites!
Jonny / August 20, 2014 at 08:36 pm
Jacie, you're an idiot.
Stop being a little internet troll and get a life, loser.

Oh, and the new streetcars are awesome!

jacie replying to a comment from Matt / August 20, 2014 at 08:39 pm
2nd Matt gets the one of the worst comments on this thread! next to glennbal nutjob
keanu / August 20, 2014 at 08:41 pm
nothing against handicapped people using wheelchairs but the use of that ramp will hold up traffic even more!
hrodjf / August 20, 2014 at 09:28 pm
The level of stupidity amongst some of this city's citizenry is appalling.
The Real Rob Ford / August 20, 2014 at 09:34 pm
Folks, I hope there's toilets on these new street cars!
The Real Doug Ford / August 20, 2014 at 09:35 pm
Rob, what about showers? Should be bathtubs, at least!
Goldielover replying to a comment from Cristina / August 20, 2014 at 10:34 pm
They can be a big issue on the buses. Parents tend to park them between the front wheel wells, creating a real bottleneck for others who are trying to board the bus, and a trip hazard for seniors. I always cringe when I see that, as I saw a child parked there get injured when someone trying to get past tripped and landed on the stroller.

I am hoping that the all door boarding on the new streetcars will help with the stroller issue.

And yes you can manage a smaller stroller in the snow if you have to. Most of us who were parents twenty years or so ago had no other choice. Today's large strollers couldn't get up the stairs of the old style buses, so we used smaller light ones that we could carry up the stairs.

Davy Gravy replying to a comment from Warren Kinsella tweet angers John Tory campaign / August 20, 2014 at 10:55 pm
Toronto needs people who understand the difference between the words "loosing" and "losing" - maybe the Tory campaign could put on some training seminars for its web shills?
Jasmin replying to a comment from Tammy / August 20, 2014 at 10:59 pm
Tammy, I think you should be removed from the streetcar. Forever.

Maybe..Toronto.
Sara MacMillan replying to a comment from Sarah / August 21, 2014 at 12:47 am
Im surprised they didnt mention strollers in this video, since TTC sees a LOT of strollers, and their accessibility needs are almost the same as a wheelchair. They also take up as much space as a wheelchair. Strollers on buses are a pet peeve for me. Sure, I want people with babies to be able to use transit, but they also take up so much space in the isle... Ive often wondered why people with big strollers dont flip the seat on buses and use the accessible spot. Also, why ttc doesnt suggest this. Anyway, I know a LOT of study went into planning these new streetcars and I for one am super excited to check it out for myself! Could be saving a LOT of money in investing in these instead of subways. I hope so anyway, time will tell.
Scott Clowry / August 21, 2014 at 04:50 am
Nice trams.
Clever Pup / August 21, 2014 at 09:03 am
This is ironic given that Roncesvalles is the only street with fancy new platforms long enough to accommodate these, yet they won't be running on 504 for another 3 years. Also 504 is the busiest route.
Karen Stintz / August 21, 2014 at 10:19 am
Ogle my trams!
Sims replying to a comment from Clever Pup / August 21, 2014 at 10:33 am
I'm sure Roncesvalles residents wouldn't want another summer of construction to accommodate these the corner at ronces and queen as well as at the top at Dundas and Ronces.

They are getting to it. This is why Broadview and Queen has been under construction for months now. The track needs to be changed to allow the 504 to turn from Queen up Broadview.
the hell u on about replying to a comment from Sims / August 21, 2014 at 10:53 am
Months now?

The construction at Queen 7 Broadviwew lasted 3 weeks.

It was finished ahead of schedule by a week and a half.

Alex / August 21, 2014 at 01:22 pm
Sweet! Look awesome and can't wait till they come into service. Running larger streetcars less often won't change anything, since bunching already causes this to happen. Running them on Spadina first makes sense because its got its own right of way and they can work out any issues with them without blocking the traffic on the street, or inconveniencing people on the busiest routes.

Wow, how come people are so upset about strollers? So you have to deal with the inconvenience of them for the 5 seconds it takes to get by them on the bus? Consider the parent who has to deal with getting that stroller around on transit and how much they have to deal with and just calm down. I'm pretty sure there was a study that said those cheap folding umbrella strollers are really bad for the kid's back, which is why almost no one uses them anymore. Plus the larger strollers hold all the stuff you need to carry when you have a kid; diapers and such.

I think if you have such huge issues with strollers, disabled people, and fat people then you should buy a car. A large component of transit is traveling with other people, so if you can't handle that then transit isn't for you.
naw replying to a comment from Alex / August 21, 2014 at 02:00 pm
Thats the issue.

The rest of society shouldn't be inconvenienced by these strollers.

DudeWhereIsMyCar? replying to a comment from Matt / August 21, 2014 at 03:59 pm
Matt, jealous much? Motorists pay taxes and deserve to drive as much as your welfare grubbing behind does. Stop being so judgemental. Get out of dodge if it's too much for you to share the road with people who have earned the privilege to drive a vehicle that is way above your means. Let's all just grin and bear it, no? That is until the first TTC, road rage, cyclist, pedestrian incident happens from the frustration of it all.
Kasey / August 21, 2014 at 04:27 pm
Love driving my car and the convenience it brings, and love living downtown. I don't cycle downtown, because it is too dangerous. I hate taking the TTC for all the reasons above, so I'll have to put up with this behemoth of a streetcar until I can't anymore.
Joel / August 21, 2014 at 04:52 pm
but how does the fare system work with the driver in an enclosed booth...
Shut your hole replying to a comment from the hell u on about / August 21, 2014 at 09:59 pm
It finished ahead of time because all of the east enders were crying that it was effecting their commute and business in the east end were suffering and may need to close down because of it. Now it was a simple thing, no problem, easy to execute.

Queen and Broadview to reopen early, more woes loom

Construction killing businesses at Queen & Broadview
iSkyscraper replying to a comment from Joel / August 22, 2014 at 01:37 am
Drivers no longer collect fares, that's how. Do you pay the subway driver a token when you get on board? Of course not. You prepay and board at the nearest door.

Problem is that not all stations will have prepay machines. This will be a giant clusterfuck, mark my words. No one will be able to use the onboard payment machines when the vehicles are jammed like a sardine can. Prepayment kiosks need to be at all stations except for maybe the outermost stops on the E-W lines, not just a few major ones downtown. In the case of Spadina, every single station (and they should drop half the stations, by the way) needs a payment machine.

Idiot replying to a comment from Shut your hole / August 22, 2014 at 08:04 am
Linking to those articles has nothing to do with this.

The intersection opened ahead of schedule because it's a major artery for the busiest streetcars, the 501 and 504.

Every business complains when there is construction nearby. There are endless articles showing the same.

Fact remains, the intersection opened early and was never closed for "months" like the OP commented.

Nor is there more issues looming. Any work being done now is at Danforth, outside the station.

Get your facts straight.
Joel replying to a comment from iSkyscraper / August 22, 2014 at 08:39 am
Yes I know that you don't pay the driver when taking the subway but there is a massive difference between the subway and a streetcar. Each subway has stations with turnstyles to collect fares. I am fairly sure that the streetcar will not have these on board.

What do you mean pre pay for the streetcar? The streetcar stops every block or so so how will that work? They can't expect people to carry a presto and tokens to make sure they can board both the new and old streetcars. They will have to be accepting tokens in some way since they are merging with the current ones.
enlighten me / August 22, 2014 at 09:40 am
People always complain about those who don't move to the back or exit the front doors instead of the back.

Why has the TTC never considered putting in some sort of arm/turnstile device, that once you enter it, you cannot go back out that way?

This would force people to keep moving down to the back doors and exit properly at the back, as new people board the front.

Especially now on the new streetcars. Seems like such a simply idea.

The driver would have the ability to "unlock" it for seniors or disabled that wanted to exit the front door, as needed.
Karen Stintz / August 22, 2014 at 01:38 pm
Jam me in a streetcar!
Bob replying to a comment from enlighten me / August 23, 2014 at 04:35 pm
Now that the streetcars have 4 doors, it doesn't matter if they won't move down. They don't have to. Just don't block the doors.

To "the lemur" and "red" / August 25, 2014 at 11:21 am
"Amsterdam's streetcar system has way more separated rights-of-way and platforms, as Red mentioned, which would deal with the 'stepping out into traffic' issue"

__________________________

What an absurd comparison! There IS no bloody traffic in Central Amsterdam! Aside from the very rare few delivery vehicles, there is no vehicular traffic at all in the central part of Amsterdam. Either you have never been there or you were wearing rose coloured glasses.
Toronto is NOT Amsterdam. We have a completely different city with completely different traffic problems. For god's sake stop comparing apples to oranges.
The Real Rob Ford + The Real Doug Ford / August 25, 2014 at 05:11 pm
Streetcars for TCHC residents only! $20! Please...vote for Rob...we're drowning! Help! SOS SOS SOS
The Real Rob Ford / August 27, 2014 at 10:24 am
Pee pads on streetcars? You know, for dogs? Not fer me, I pee in parks! Never been on a streetcar...what is a "streetcar"? CarsCarsCars! IdidwhatIsaidIwoulddo-nothing!