Wednesday, October 1, 2014Cloudy 16°C

The 10 worst people on the TTC

Posted by Chris Bateman / July 17, 2014

ttc rude peopleWith the all-too-common short turns, delays, and random outages, using the TTC on a regular basis is tough enough without seat hogs, backpack wearers, and other transit monsters screwing up your ride. A half-century ago, the TTC printed cartoon etiquette guides that taught riders to have change, hold on to handrails, and move back through the bus or streetcar. Maybe it's time to revisit that idea.

As something of a passive aggressive anthropological exploration, here's a list of the 10 worst people on the TTC.

Why can't we all just learn to get along?

Cellphone talkers
Admittedly, some overheard conversations are pure gold, but 99% of the time it's enough to make those in earshot lose their minds. Despite being a common faux-pas, somehow the loud cellphone talkers find the guts to persist. The dedication would be admirable, if it wasn't so annoying. Kindly text so other people can read over your shoulder.

toronto ttc foodFood eaters
That chicken biryani probably tastes great--it's the smell that's not so hot once it mingles with odours of a hot streetcar or packed train. Surely that tasty morsel can wait for the sake of the harried people of the TTC.

Cargo carriers
I once had to catch a flight that required me to get to Pearson on the subway during rush hour. I spent most of the ride avoiding angry glances as I tried to find a place for my suitcase. Travel bags aside (until there's another way to get to the airport,) unwieldy objects like refrigerators and cathode tube TVs are best moved at a quiet time. Trust me.

Those with BO
Food smells are one thing, but a bad human smell is something altogether worse if you happen to be stuck right beside some with BO on a packed train. Yes, the daily grind is rough, but if you had to skip the shower, just make sure to load up on the deodorant.

Backpack wearers
The TTC is a busy place. Space is at a premium. So please wriggle out of that backpack and give yourself (and your fellow riders) a break.

toronto ttc feet seatSeat hoggers
A transit seat is the ideal place to put one thing: your butt. No feet, no bags, no slumped torsos. Oh, and if you would be so kind, please shove over that empty window seat. OK? Thanks.

Doorway blockers
Come inside. We won't bite. Or just get the f*ck out of the way so we can get off the train.

Angry/indifferent drivers
Driving a streetcar through a congested city is, no doubt, a patience-sapping task, but there's nothing worse than the furious driver who leans on the horn and is snappy with passengers. Customer service is part of the job, too. That means learning to use the loudspeaker as well (surely there's a volume dial somewhere.)

Litterers
Tim Hortons cups and rolling half-full bottles of mystery liquid belong in the garbage, as does most of the stuff left behind on the TTC. Minor exception granted for newspapers that are still in readable condition and have a blank crossword section.

toronto ttc turnstileTurnstile blockers
Bicycles do not fit through the subway's revolving door turnstiles, yet, roughly twice a week, a TTC technician has to extricate bike trapped in the maw of a station entrance. Go around to the main entrance and be spared the blushes.

SEE ALSO:

Chris Bateman is a staff writer at blogTO. Follow him on Twitter at @chrisbateman.

Images: Jeff Smith, Laurie Brown/Twitter, asianz/blogTO Flickr pool.

Al / July 17, 2014 at 08:55 am
People knitting, and it happens more frequently than you might imagine. It's dangerous if the train lurches or stops and someone falls on a needle.
seathoggers / July 17, 2014 at 09:07 am
when people sit on the outside seat of a bus of streetcar and put their bag on the inside seat....
bikeroo / July 17, 2014 at 09:11 am
What about people that take care of personal hygiene? I'm talking about the nail clippers or flossers. Just the other day I saw a guy taking up three seats in rush hour while flossing his teeth using his pony tail.
Falling Down / July 17, 2014 at 09:16 am
Left out a bunch... Determined sitters - people who on a packed train wait until the doors open at their stop to get off their ass and move to the door. Commuter couples - couples who get on packed subways/streetcars and refuse to stop holding hands to snake through the crowd, loudly huff and comment to each other when they can't sit together, or ask someone else to move so they can, and then nuzzle the rest of the ride in.

But, backpack wearers are the worst. And people who bring bikes on streetcars. Ride your fucking bike.
Rayray / July 17, 2014 at 09:20 am
What about those people who insist on sitting next to you even though the train is half empty?
Gregr / July 17, 2014 at 09:27 am
Shout out to all the ladies giving themselves manis-- filing, clipping and polishing yo nails.
Joe replying to a comment from Rayray / July 17, 2014 at 09:38 am
This. I also see nothing wrong with someone putting their bag on the seat next to them when there are plenty of empty seats on the subway car.
1 / July 17, 2014 at 09:40 am
This reminded me of the time I was riding Portland Oregon's MAX with the most oblivious lady ever. Not only did she give out her social security number on the first call, but during her second call as she neared her stop she started to complain about her trashy neighbour who had the cops called on them because "the son stabbed the father or something" she said about to exit the train. The passenger behind her said "That's not what happened." And just as the door closed I heard heard the obnoxious cell phoner ask "Who are you?" to which the lady getting off behind her said "I'M YOUR NEIGHBOUR!"
The Shakes / July 17, 2014 at 09:42 am
Not a fan of:

A) The people who get on to a subway train and freeze motionless in the doorway as they scan for a seat, not realizing that there are a dozen other people behind then also trying to get on.

B) People who stop at the top or the bottom of an escalator, oblivious to the fact that all the people on the escalator have no where to go except to crash into them

C) Pole leaners, molesters or dancers, who don't leave anywhere on the pole for other people to grab, or worse lean backwards on the pole, with the pole squarely wedged in their butt crack

D) People who take up a seat and half of the aisle at the same time. If you're seated you're lucky, those standing are not so lucky. You don't have to rub it in by also taking up all the space in the aisle with your legs/feet, your fully spread open newspaper, or your big ass laptop

E) People who put their dogs on the seat

F) People who use the train as their captive audience. Yes i'm talking about you white guy with no rhythm, who insists on practicing your rapping out loud as you take the subway to pick up your baby mama. Same thing applies to you Jesus-pushers as well.
husky / July 17, 2014 at 09:42 am
The one that bugged me the other day was this lady who let dog sleep on a full seat in a packed train. i don't what's worse, her actions, or the fact that no one said anything to her.
jen / July 17, 2014 at 09:43 am
Men who splay their legs while they sit. Your balls aren't THAT big, guys.
joe replying to a comment from husky / July 17, 2014 at 09:46 am
Or the fact that you didn't say anything to her. Your just as bad as her
Linden / July 17, 2014 at 09:46 am
Doorway blockers are the worst for me, especially when you cannot get on 2-3 buses on a raw. Even when the bus is packed, often there is enough space to allow those 4-5 people waiting on the bus stop to get on the bus, if people just moved few steps.
W. K. Lis / July 17, 2014 at 09:50 am
Its my pet peeve that people exit through the front doors on crowded buses or streetcars, when the rear doors could be used. They end up delaying the people trying to get on, in turn slowing everybody.
Dee / July 17, 2014 at 09:52 am
DOGS! DOGS! DOGS!!!!

Dogs stretched out blocking aisles of TTC vehicles, Dogs on seats. In Portland, pets must be in a carrier to ride public transport. In Calgary Dogs are allowed on the transit system; they are free if they are in a pet carrier, but an adult fare must be paid for dogs which are not in carriers
Rafa / July 17, 2014 at 09:54 am
People (in my experience, usually Chinese) who PRETEND to sleep - and I'm talking deep REM sleep here - thus absolving them of any moral responsibility to give up their seat to elderly or disabled. Usually the miraculously wake up just in time for their spot.
Taylor / July 17, 2014 at 09:54 am
I don't mind dogs as much, heck they're much more well behaved than humans.
PSNP replying to a comment from bikeroo / July 17, 2014 at 09:55 am
Bikeroo, yes! Nail clipping on the TTC is unacceptable. Flossing too. I saw a man shaving his face with the sharp edge of a small scissors. Gross. If you don't have enough time to shave your face in a bathroom (your bathroom, ideally), grow a beard.
someone / July 17, 2014 at 09:55 am
U GONNA BE OK???!?
Holden / July 17, 2014 at 09:55 am
People who play their music out loud, i.e., without headphones.
Kacie / July 17, 2014 at 09:58 am
Armageddon baby strollers. I get that you have to transport baby from point A to point B but why must your stroller be the size of a hummer, take up a 4-row seat section and be packed with all of you and your child's personal belongings.
Jen replying to a comment from Holden / July 17, 2014 at 10:01 am
Also people who listen to their music WAY too loud with headphones so you can hear their muffled crappy music
Finn / July 17, 2014 at 10:05 am
lol, it's a public place. get use to it! if you demand luxury, go pay for it ;)
Huzam / July 17, 2014 at 10:07 am
The worst is the subway when there is big lineup. I am the angry when also there isn't the Sub of the day on the day when I choose to go. I like Teryaki chicken but always am attending only when Steak and Cheese is the one. ???
S / July 17, 2014 at 10:08 am
Adding: people who are contagiously sick yet choose to not cover their mouths/wear masks/avoid areas that allow them to be in contact with most people on the vehicle; drivers that get angry with you because you ask them where the vehicle is going because they didn't change the destination info on the bus/streetcar; people who get on a train and then stop immediately once they cross the doors, blocking everyone else.
Jack / July 17, 2014 at 10:11 am
I don't mind if people put their bags on the seat next to them as long as there are plenty of seats available for others. But when people (usually guys) put their feet on the seats, my blood boils. And if you say anything to them, they're unlikely to say 'sorry' and put their feet down; more likely, they'll swear at you and tell you to mind your own business.

Personally I don't mind people talking on cellphones, as long as they're talking at a normal volume. It's no different than people talking to other people next to them, surely there's no rule that everyone must be silent.

And gotta agree with jen: as a man myself, I don't understand the need to sit with your legs so far apart. So many men adopt this posture even when they are flanked by people on either side. It's amazing how inconsiderate some people can be. Close your legs, guys!
Mel / July 17, 2014 at 10:17 am
Mothers with SUV-type baby strollers. If there 3 of them on those low floor busese you can't get on! On Las Vegas transit there is a rule: fold your stroller and carry your kid in car seat. I tweet Brad Ross about this problem and he gave me "don't offend mothers rant...blah blah" Well this is problem like it or not.
Corey Mintz / July 17, 2014 at 10:23 am
What about the idiots that buy a coffee right before they get on during rush hour? Because what you really need to make a crowded streetcar better is one less hand and boiling water. Inconsiderate, short-sighted and dumb.
Q / July 17, 2014 at 10:29 am
So many d-bags on the ttc
Logan / July 17, 2014 at 10:32 am
People that blast music from their crappy phone speaker. I don't care what the music is, whether it's to my taste or not, the rest of the streetcar doesn't need to hear it.
Bite Mark / July 17, 2014 at 10:34 am
I get really annoyed when people waiting to get on a train, or bus insist on getting on before people have had a chance to get off. Clear a path and relax. You'll still get on.

This is not an annoyance but I've often wondered why people run for a train. Maybe it's just me but really, dude, there's going to be another one in 3 minutes or so. No need to break your neck running.
J / July 17, 2014 at 10:41 am
regarding those who sit on the outside seat rather than window seat, sometimes we have to because the window seat does not have enough leg space for taller people. suck it up and try speaking to someone for once, all you have to do is ask to sit in the window seat and we will politely get up and let you move in. The people who don't stand up and expect riders to move around their legs, they are the aholes.
Tess replying to a comment from J / July 17, 2014 at 10:50 am
And all you have to due is look up and make eye contact with the person walking down the aisle to make yourself approachable. But I can tell by your comment your not very approachable or easy to get along with.
nb replying to a comment from Al / July 17, 2014 at 10:56 am
Your comment makes no sense. Knitting needles aren't any sharper than a pen. I suppose those people doing sudoku and crossword puzzles are scary too? Also, it would take a concerted, conscious effort to actually fall on a knitting needle and hurt yourself.

The people knitting are doing something constructive with their time rather than just staring out the window.
Stroller guy replying to a comment from Mel / July 17, 2014 at 11:00 am
As a dad who has to transport my 13 month old kid to daycare using TTC, it's all well and fine to say fold up the stroller and put the kid on your lap, as long as you're prepared to deal with a kid who screams and fusses because he doesn't want to sit in my lap, or to deal with the mess caused because sitting on my lap makes it practically impossible for me to give him something to snack on, or a little toy to play with (which helps keep him on calm on the bus) - and generally, my kid is actually pretty good tempered on transit. Some are muuuuch worse. Oh and that folded up stroller still has to sit in the aisle, so in addition to dealing with a fussy child who might be more difficult to placate, the aisle is still going to be obstructed with my folded stroller. And when it's time for me to get off? Watch how much fun it is trying to manage carrying a kid and a folded stroller without dropping either and without bowling everyone over on my way out. Then you'll really understand what an obstruction is.

I know you're not likely to grasp this, being as self-centred and self-involved as you appear to be, but it's no picnic for us bringing a kid on a crowded bus/streetcar. It's awkward and uncomfortable for me (in part because I'm well aware that I'm obstructing the aisle) and the kids can get a little unnerved by all the strange people around them - especially when they're younger. Not to mention, the potential exposure my kid gets to all the different germs, and so forth from folks like you riding transit who pick your nose, don't don't bathe, don't wash your hands, or sneeze without covering your mouth, is no fun either.

As much as possible, I look to leave early so I avoid the heavier crowds on transit, but unfortunately, my son doesn't always agree with that plan, so sometimes it means I end up leaving later than I'd like, which results in my ending up on a more crowded bus. Sorry if that inconveniences you, but then again its PUBLIC TRANSIT, so you don't get to decide if I can bring my kid on with a stroller or not.

Perhaps instead of complaining, take a minute to consider that the person bringing their stroller on the busy bus/streetcar/subway is doing so out of sheer necessity, and is probably more uncomfortable about it than you are.

But then I guess that would require taking your head out of your ass long enough to notice that it isn't all about you, so I guess I shouldn't have my hopes up.

simple/ / July 17, 2014 at 11:01 am
Basically anyone who gets on the 505 at Sherbourne.
Magdalena O! / July 17, 2014 at 11:01 am
How come blogto.com has gotten so bad that I only come for the comments, which by the way, are hilarious.
Kid Cornish / July 17, 2014 at 11:02 am
Middle aged women on their phones playing Candy Crush...it's an epidemic!
Donnie replying to a comment from Bite Mark / July 17, 2014 at 11:07 am
Same with people stepping out into the street before the street car has stopped. The stop sign for passing vehicle and bicycles is when the doors open, this is the same with a school bus. When the bus comes to a complete stop and doors open that's when you step out. I know its hard, we all want to get the jump on each other.
Steinbrenner replying to a comment from Bite Mark / July 17, 2014 at 11:12 am
I totally understand why people rush for subways. This is the TTC we're talking about, each train could be the last one that ever runs.
tommy replying to a comment from Tess / July 17, 2014 at 11:12 am
You must be some kind of internet comment mind reader to automatically assume that Mr. J is not very approachable.
Bob / July 17, 2014 at 11:12 am
Apparently Rick travels via hovercraft. Or a broom.
dan / July 17, 2014 at 11:34 am
Honestly some of these pet-peeves sound whiny overly-entitled and anal-retentive. The ttc is not you're own personal car or house; it is a public place which people have to use, sometimes for great lengths of time, to get from point a to point b. As long as you're not hogging a seat or infringing on personal space or blocking the flow of movement who cares what others are doing? Get over yourselves its not some pristine library environment. What's wrong with someone needing to eat or drink on the ttc? It might be the one time that day they have the time to do so. They could be diabetic or have low blood sugar. And listening to music loudly through headphones - how do you know they're not hard-of-hearing and can only hear their music at that volume. At least they're using headphones. Some of you need to take a chill-pill or get a car.
Chester / July 17, 2014 at 11:36 am
Rename this to a forum for first world problems. So many anti-dog people too.
Gus / July 17, 2014 at 11:37 am
people that clip their nails and scatter the clippings on the vehicles. I've seen people remove their socks and do their freaking toenails. They are the worst kind of human. Subhuman, even. UGH
major / July 17, 2014 at 11:39 am
Just the apperance and level of person drops off significantly from subway to streetcar to whoever it is you see on a bus.

RS / July 17, 2014 at 11:44 am
PEOPLE WHO LEAN ON THE POLES during rush hour. (Dis)honourable mention to guys who sit with their legs spread this-------------------far apart.
COMWAVESUCKS replying to a comment from Kid Cornish / July 17, 2014 at 11:45 am
Here here!
cathie replying to a comment from Mel / July 17, 2014 at 11:46 am
1) Stoller users who still insist on staying right at the front on the new articulated buses used on Bathurst Street. These new buses have wider isles and all doors can accommodate strollers yet these riders insist on blocking the front entrance.

2) School children taking up all the seats, leaving us full-fare-paying old farts standing. Children should be made to stand.
dan / July 17, 2014 at 11:46 am
And stroller guy I could not agree with you more.
Paul B replying to a comment from Rick / July 17, 2014 at 11:47 am
Rick, it's "you're all spewing about". Careful, or you could be mistaken for an uneducated, vile slob.
Phil / July 17, 2014 at 11:47 am
Sorry, but as a backpack wearer, I have to speak up for our side. I don't drive, and I have to take a lot of things with me for work. So I have to wear one. But I DO try to be considerate if it's busy. I take it off, put it between my feet, I try not to take up seats with it, and I try to be aware of other people when wearing it. I understand that we all pay the same for transit, and everyone should be courteous towards one another.
Transit it supposed to help reduce the number of vehicles on the roads, and if they want less traffic and more people using the public system, then there has to be allowances and accommodations for people with items. But it's also important that people are respectful to one another in a public confined space like this.
JackD replying to a comment from The Shakes / July 17, 2014 at 11:49 am
THIS. People who get on the train then stop, oblivious to the fact that there are other people behind them trying to get on. Oblivious people in general are a pet peeve of mine. For example; Those who lurch in random directions without looking first.
Sarah / July 17, 2014 at 11:50 am
Definitely the new wave of riders who: 1) sit in the outside seat of a 2=seater and then 2) only move their knees demurely when I ask them (politely) to move so I can sit down.
I absolutely refuse to contort and shimmy my way around someone who is too lazy to stand up for 20 seconds so that I can slide in and sit in the inside seat (a seat that they have chosen not to sit in).

This incredibly annoying phenomenon started happening on a regular basis about 2 years ago...why? What happened? The seat weren't designed to shimmy around someone else's knees? If the person absolutely refuses to get up, then I get in as I would, usually wiping my bag across their face.
I'm sorry - but you didn't want to stand up to let me in, so what am I supposed to do?
Mari / July 17, 2014 at 11:52 am
OMG this comment about knitters is a bit too much. The probability of an accident like thhappen is really, really low... And it's more likely that the person that will get hurt is the knitter
TTC Employee / July 17, 2014 at 11:52 am
I work For TTC more specifically I clean up after you. I HATE EVERY SINGLE ONE OF YOU that walks through the subway station .... lol
Sarah replying to a comment from nb / July 17, 2014 at 11:53 am
Thank you! I am a knitter and I've only stabbed 3, maybe 4 people as I ride the streetcar. You know, the RAZOR sharp needles that I use combined with my spastic arms...well, people have died. i'm sorry.
major / July 17, 2014 at 11:55 am
Others must have seen this asshole....

He gets on the 505 at Yonge St late in the afternoon most days, around 6pm or so.

Big, slovenly looking black guy who has a mini boom box in his oversized baggy track pants and BLARES the most ignorant gangster rap as loud as possible.

This fuk wad is literally the biggest prick on the entire TTC system.
Sarah replying to a comment from bikeroo / July 17, 2014 at 11:56 am
There is a girl that I occasionally see on my bus home from work. She paints her fingernails on the bus. In the winter when the windows are all closed, it will give me a powerful headache from the smell.
Ben / July 17, 2014 at 11:58 am
How about the weird couple that is making out non stop while on the subway or platforms
Blessed / July 17, 2014 at 11:59 am
You guys are all ridiculous. This is public transit and you will have a few MINOR inconveniences but overall the transit in toronto is excellent. Honestly the shit you guys complain about I've never even noticed until now. Probably because I don't have a pessimistic view on life. Awww you have move around a stroller? Or aww you happen to over hear someone's conversation....that must be aweful! Shut up! You people right here! Your the people that I always smile at during my trips and instead of smile back you give some depressing look! Lol
Bite Mark replying to a comment from Steinbrenner / July 17, 2014 at 11:59 am
Nah, that's at least not reason enough for me. I've seen people get their bags caught in the doors and nearly injure themselves. It ends up holding up the train.
Phil replying to a comment from Al / July 17, 2014 at 12:00 pm
Knit one, poke two?
Bubba / July 17, 2014 at 12:00 pm
persons with backpacks on = you are all douche bags
I Care replying to a comment from Stroller guy / July 17, 2014 at 12:01 pm
That's an excellent response.
Amex / July 17, 2014 at 12:01 pm
How about calling out people who do these things directly, instead about moaning about it on the internet?
Sarah replying to a comment from Corey Mintz / July 17, 2014 at 12:03 pm
I hate when a person with a coffee gets on the bus and sits right next to me trapping me at the window. I've missed my stop several times due to them not being able to stand up fast enough and let me out, even though I asked them to let me know a whole stop before mine.
Minn / July 17, 2014 at 12:04 pm
Those people who play their music out loud on their phone or on a mini boom box. Use your headphones!!

And those who stay seated on the outter seat and just move their legs when you need to get off the train/bus from the inner seat.
BrianSYYZ / July 17, 2014 at 12:07 pm
You left off a lot.

1) People who don't get on or off the train fast enough and you then get stuck on the train, or miss the train. I've had to shove people to get on the train, even though there was nothing in front of them preventing them from getting the hell on.
2) People who fart. I was once literally surrounded by a small group of cute Japanese schoolgirls. They were chattering away when all of a sudden, whew, my eyes started to water. LOL!! And it's happened more than once.
3) People who don't move to the middle of the train during rush hour. I've missed getting on trains because the door areas are all crammed but there's space for several people in the middle of the train. Grrr...
4) People who play their music too loud so we hear the constant ting, ting, ting of their headphones. Grrrrr...

Ahhhh, the joys of commuting.
Megpie / July 17, 2014 at 12:10 pm
Welp.... while we're all griping, how about people who play stupid cellphone games with the volume all the way up? Or watch YouTube videos/TV/movies on full volume? WTF is that about?!

It always KILLS me that folks seem to be oblivious to how rude they're being.
Alpha Dad replying to a comment from Stroller guy / July 17, 2014 at 12:10 pm
Stroller guy, I must say that it sounds like you aren't a very good parent. Your kid doesn't want to leave early? Tough for him. You sound like some entitled ex-trust fund kid who married an environmentalist and won't fork over the money to purchase a car.

Hit the gym If you can't carry your child AND pick up your folded stroller at the same time. I know your ultra-feminist wife won't agree with you doing that, adn will probably withhold your monthly sex for 10 months, but trust me, it will be worth it.
Mr. Big replying to a comment from jen / July 17, 2014 at 12:11 pm
Yes they are, get over it!
DR replying to a comment from W. K. Lis / July 17, 2014 at 12:11 pm
On a crowded bus or streetcar, it's often not possible to get to the rear doors to exit.
Sarah replying to a comment from Phil / July 17, 2014 at 12:13 pm
Hey, I'm with you on the backpack. I do the same as you. I think everyone is referring to the people that keep their backpack on the entire ride. Standing with your backback on takes up the space of 2 people. Plus some backpack wearers I've seen are really careless about the space they take and will swing around on the bus/subway/streetcar and hit people with their bags (I've seen a guy on the bus get smoked in the head with a backpack that looked to be carrying bricks)
DontWorryBeHappy / July 17, 2014 at 12:13 pm
But... That's like everybody!

Who hasn't done of those things at least once? Come on, lighten up.
Another Parent with Buggy replying to a comment from Stroller guy / July 17, 2014 at 12:16 pm
THANK YOU for this!!! I honestly got tears in my eyes reading your post. I am a mom of 2, and I have a huge buggy. I need to have a huge buggy- it fits all the groceries that I'm doing, and diaper bag and toys that I need to keep my 3 yr old and 8 month old happy. But I barely take public transit anymore. Why?? Because I'm afraid. I hate being an inconvenience to people. I hate having to ask for help to get the buggy down the subway stairs, or up the streetcar stairs, or blocking people when I'm on the bus or streetcar. It's a traumatizing experience every time.

The odd time I absolutely HAVE to take public transit, I actually stand at the bus stop with my huge buggy that everyone hates and my 3 year old and baby, literally shaking with anxiety. Getting up those streetcar steps and onto a streetcar where I'm blocking everyone scares the sh*t out of me. But- unfortunately sometimes it's the only option. To get my babis to the Dr's for example, I have to take a streetcar, then a bus. I try to schedule appointments so that I avoid rush hour, but sometimes the bus is crowded anyway. I feel so so so bad when that happens. I wish there was another way. I spend my days mostly walking, avoiding the TTC.

Thank you for explaining so well to the challenges we parents with buggies face. It's really not fun for us.

To the general public: if we're in your way, chances are that A) we are so so sorry, and B) we really wish we had another option.

(And sidenote: to those who believe that simply holding your squirmy baby in one arm while folding your buggy with the other, and then holding and carrying said baby and buggy onto bus or subway or streetcar is easy to do- you have know friggin clue.)
Spike replying to a comment from cathie / July 17, 2014 at 12:17 pm
School children going on field trips should be taken to said trips by school buses, not be taken on or by public transit. This thing not happening like it used to is why the incident with the little boy being lost on the Queen streetcar and the driver being reluctant to help him during rush hour traffic happened.
jj / July 17, 2014 at 12:20 pm
Ok two things I disagree with, 1. If you do not want people with cargo on the train then why do you go to union station? That is a train station ergo people from out of the city are bot going to cab it from north york all the way down they are bringing cargo. 2 once again the subway system is large nobody who works downtown and has food on them is going to wait to eat im sorry. I do agree with most of the rest but this just seems like it was written by some snobby person who has ridden the ttc maybe twice in their lives and its easy to nit pick at the stuff like door blockers and seat hoggers which appear on every subway system in the world (which are easy to deal with by taking the seat) this just seems to attack normal people who ride the subway as well and is looking for stuff to attack people for
Mary / July 17, 2014 at 12:23 pm
I can't believe that people who won't give up their seats in priority seating to the disabled isn't included in this. I've been ignored many a time for the 9 years I used a cane and now that I've switched to a walker and can only use buses, there are only a couple of seats I can even use as I need a pole to get up/down. Ignoring someone with an obvious disability, even when the person asks for a seat, is #1.
CC / July 17, 2014 at 12:24 pm
"As many as 30 percent of people surveyed in a study from the University of West Georgia said they find scented products irritating. Those with asthma or chemical sensitivities may find strong scents particularly problematic due to the allergy-like symptoms they cause."

So, when I say that people who douse themselves with cologne and perfume and crush into us at rush hour should be shoved back off the subway, up to 30% of you will back me up, right? That crap gives me a splitting headache you would not believe.
Joseph replying to a comment from Blessed / July 17, 2014 at 12:27 pm
I agree with you. The transit system in Toronto is still the best
DrinkAlong replying to a comment from Phil / July 17, 2014 at 12:28 pm
Phil, if you're removing your backpack on a crowded vehicle, I thank and commend you.

Unfortunately, my experience is that when I get onto a packed subway car, more often then not, there's someone wearing a full backpack like they're about to ascend Everest.

Not only do they take up twice the space as a person (sometimes more), they wack everyone around them every time they move.

It should be noted that they usually stand in front of the doors, too, making them double offenders.
Joanne / July 17, 2014 at 12:32 pm
@here goes, it's one thing to bitch about your subway pet peeves and it's all fun and games but it's completely another call out the entire Asian race and stereotype Asians. Not all Asians are "loud, rude and obnoxious passengers". Your comments are racist and offensive. You can find all of these from anyone. You just choose to notice the Asians.
Would you like to elaborate on which type of Asians bother you the most? After all, Asia is a big continent.
Get over yourself! You live in one of the most multicultured city's.
Laura / July 17, 2014 at 12:32 pm
Surprised no one mentioned the people who apparently haven't heard of "stand right, walk left" on escalators. I get that you want to stand right next to your girlfriend at every given moment, but move the hell over so I can walk by you and catch my bus.
BOTW replying to a comment from Dee / July 17, 2014 at 12:36 pm
Considering the dogs are more hygienic and cooperative than most humans, your point is moot.

BTW. I hope you get nipped by one for being so callous and obnoxious :)
Nock4Six / July 17, 2014 at 12:42 pm
Put your goddamn nail clippers away.
Ruth / July 17, 2014 at 12:43 pm
I have sympathy for the people with strollers - if there was a better way to get around, I'm sure they'd take it.

My peeve is people who stand in front of an empty seat when the subway car is jam packed - please sit down to give all of us still standing a little more room, or move out of the way and let someone else sit.
Dogma / July 17, 2014 at 12:46 pm
Pro tip if it hasn't been said already. If you're headed to the airport, you can jam your suitcase under the seats; it won't block people and it won't take up seat space.
CT replying to a comment from Sarah / July 17, 2014 at 12:47 pm
Why not ask her to stop? I have thought about telling the nail clippers that they need to wait until they get home, but haven't ever been near enough to them to need to say it.
AMH / July 17, 2014 at 12:50 pm
I don't really see the problem with people talking on their cell phones. What's the difference between someone talking on the phone, and someone talking to the person next to them? I think volume and content of conversations is the issue, not whether someone is on their cell phone or not. I rarely ever talk on my phone in general, but it doesn't bother me when someone is just having a normal conversation on their phone.

I wonder if this has anything to do with the idea of personal vs. private space on public transit, and how people choose to construct invisible private boundaries for themselves (I'm speaking in MY privately constructed space vs. we're speaking in a public space ....on the phone vs. 2 people in person). Anyway, this is all very interesting from a geographic and sociological POV.
Monkey Bars / July 17, 2014 at 12:50 pm
I'd like to add one. It's all of the people standing around the people in this list and don't say a single word about it. It's not that tough to ask someone to move or take a backpack off.
Nell replying to a comment from Stroller guy / July 17, 2014 at 12:52 pm
*takes off hat for respect to on-point, articulate, reply*
John / July 17, 2014 at 12:54 pm
People not moving the f* back. And people who use the front doors to get off.
People who their the nails.... / July 17, 2014 at 12:57 pm
...on the TTC or at your desk

WHAT ARE YOU THINKING???????????????????

(superEW!)
Joe / July 17, 2014 at 12:57 pm
All the more reasons why I TTC (Take The Car) I am better than that.
M / July 17, 2014 at 12:58 pm
People who eat on the subway and are gross about it. I'm cool if you need a eat a granola bar or whatever, but I once watched a woman devour a WHOLE chicken and spit out the bones in a pile at her feet.
YOUR BALLS ARE NOT THAT BIG / July 17, 2014 at 01:17 pm
mentakingup2muchspaceonthetrain.tumblr.com/
lulu replying to a comment from bikeroo / July 17, 2014 at 01:20 pm
ANYONE who clips their nails, files their nailes etc - Can you not wait until you get home to do it?! Anything you'd do in a bathroom at home, don't do it on the TTC. This includes digging in your nose then holding the hand rails/pressing/ringing the stop button... Unbelievable how some people have no decency.
JMFrey / July 17, 2014 at 01:22 pm
I'm not able-bodied.

Sometimes I'm on a cane, sometimes I'm just limping along without it. Most of the time I don't choose to exercise my right to sit in the handicap seating on transit, (often because I've been sitting all day and the standing is nice). And I try not to take up too much space with my three legs.

I am also short, which makes people seem to think that they have the right to my personal space (like above my head. WTF. Stop grabbing bars - and hitting me in the head with your elbows - and talking to your friends right over my head. I'm not a ficus).

People who don’t watch where they're going (either staring at phones, or papers, or books, or friends) knock my cane out of my hand all the time. I had to get a lanyard just so it will stay attached to my wrist. People trip on my cane, because they cut too close and aren't looking, and once someone even kicked my cane so far down the platform I had to wait for a kind someone else to retrieve it and bring it back to me.

But the people who GLARE at me for taking the elevator is too much! Yes, I appear to be an able-bodied young woman when I'm standing still and am cane-less, but I'd really like people to stop with the snide under-breath comments about how I don't need the elevator.

I even had a woman in a scooter drive in and deliberately hit me in the heel with her bumper. When I turned to her to tell her that hurt, she said "What, stairs broken?"

Tartly, I replied, "No, but my knee was. A little patience, please."

"You're in the way!" she said.

"Then, if there wasn't enough space, you could have asked me to move and waited a moment when I did."

She said nothing in reply, and grumbled the whole ride about how she doesn't have time for other people, how all the elevators are busted and she has to go up and backtrack and she's late. I have sympathy for her – non working elevators and escalators are annoying and painful for me, but for her they make stations un-traversable. That's horrible.

But did she have to be rude to me?

And yesterday, I was trying to get off a bus that had pulled into the station. I waited until last before getting out of my seat, so I wouldn't hold anyone else up. And then, just as I got to the back door, reaching for BOTH yellow handles so I can descend, some young man stepped up into the doorway, bodily blocking me.

I said, "Excuse me," and he didn't move. I said, "I'd like to get off, please."

He turned slightly to the side (not enough space to exit, even if I was able-bodied) and shouted, "So then get off!"
"I need the handles."

"Oh my god, get off! You're taking a fucking week and a half!" he shouted in my ear and shoved my shoulder so hard that I swung back on my bad leg. He pushed aside and I immediately grabbed both handles so I could limp off the bus and out of the station, ashamed. And, thanks to his shoving, now extra sore.

So yes, a bit of courtesy would be lovely. Yes, I'm slow, I know. Yes, I block traffic and I'm annoying. I apologize for not being able to whiz along like you, and I apologize for making you slow down.

But please, just be patient until I'm out of the way, and then politely walk around me. And if I am inadvertently blocking you, please just get my attention, and for me to move; I'd much rather that. That's all I ask.

Please don't be impatient, like the asshole in the sports car who took the illegal left because he could wait, and gave me a permanent limp. I've had it up to my eyeballs with impatient assholes, and don't forget that I'm carrying a three foot tube of metal.
skeeter / July 17, 2014 at 01:23 pm
Why are the people in the first and 3rd photo bad? The train isn't crowded. Who cares. Plenty of available seats in those photos. Now, if the trains were completely packed full of people and they did that? That's another story.
NoThanksTO / July 17, 2014 at 01:27 pm
I am so glad I moved to Vancouver. There is something especially hateful about the TTC rider, including myself when I was one and all the people commenting here. It brings out the worst in everyone and in turn makes for an unhappy, angry city full of unapproachable, unhappy, angry people that care only about swatting everyone out of their way in their mad rush to nowhere.
Dogma replying to a comment from skeeter / July 17, 2014 at 01:40 pm
First photo: He's parking his foot where the next person in that train will be putting their head.

Third Photo: She has her potentially dirty shoes sitting where the next person will be sitting.
cathie replying to a comment from skeeter / July 17, 2014 at 01:43 pm
Because its common courtesy to keep you dirty shoes off seats that people have to sit on, with their clean clothes. Basic manners that everyone should know and practice.
JJ / July 17, 2014 at 01:51 pm
I'm going to start by telling you what I love about TTC.
- The smell of Cinnabon at Eglinton station.
- The diversity of people. We will never be a city to say we never met someone from ______.
- I have been offered seats many times by men. It definitely is a rare thing but nice to know, chivalry still exists.
- When the train exists Victoria Park station and you get a little greenery.
- check out a glimpse of the Humber river after old mill station. If you pass at a right time you might see the group of old European men fishing in the water, with boots as all.
- I remember the classical music that use to blare on the speaker at Kennedy station, near the kiss and ride when I was in high school.
- what about the "crazy" lady who preaches Jesus. That's dedication at its finest!
- one time I saw a guy frantically making his way back to a bus he was on because he had accidentally dropped his wallet. The bus driver found a number to call the guy to get it and said that someone who found it have it to him to return to the owner. Nothing was missing, even his metro pass and cash.
- I knew a bus driver who let my son on the bus every morning and would drop him off I front of his school.
- I have witnessed the emergency bar being pressed because a man went into a seizure. It was amazing to see complete strangers helping, offering their jackets as a pillow, offering their water, someone even places the man in a safe area to finish his seaizure. All this before paramedics showed up.

Anyway, my point is...it's great and humorous to point out the bad, the ugly but don't first the good.
Antonia Issa / July 17, 2014 at 01:56 pm
Funny, because I wrote this little thing a while back. You might consider adding them to your list.

Top ten ways to sit down in the subway
October 11, 2012 at 4:17pm
This is what happens when I have inconveniantly finished a book pre-trip termination, or shockingly gotten enough sleep and don't require a ttc nap. Acute anthropological obervation has resulted in the following taxonomy of how people sit in the subway.
Here are the top 10 seating strategies for subway passengers (in no particular order)

1. The Pole Dancer

This passenger is usually in high heels or just has balance issues. She scoots into the train just before the doors close, grabs the nearest pole as the train lurches forward, and projected by the momentum of the train going from stop to go, swings around the pole and lands flawlessly into the seat.

2. The Worm (or Nesting Hen)

This passenger enters the train eyeballs a seat, stands in front of it and wiggles in, claiming their territory by jostling their already-seated neighbours.

3. The I don't give a damn that my rear is 1.5 times the width of the seat!

This passenger, can be combined with The Worm or The Reversing Truck. Regardless of the seating procedure, this person boldly sits and ends up with a large portion of their meaty backside in your lap (or on top of your book if you're reading). As you struggle out from under the mess, the owner of the caboose shoots you an aggravated glare as if you've touched him or her in an inappropriate way.

4. The Reversing Truck

This passenger enters the train from the far doors, catches a glimpse of a free seat and proceeds to walk backward toward the seat craning his neck to visually aim as he walks, homing in on the free seat, making the sitting part easy as he is already bent into chair position during the reversing process, that is, unless Slick Sam gets there first.

5. Slick Sam

This passenger sees the free seat and sees The Reversing Truck, puts two and two together and darts in like a sparrow completely confounding The Reversing Truck who looked away for a moment to stretch his neck.

6.The Think Thin, then Relax and Expand

This passenger is conscious of others and makes an effort to squeeze into tight fitting areas like an octopus through underwater cracks. She walks in, sees a prime middle spot, immediately squeezes herself into a thin, miniscule form, sits and then content that she is in the seat, relaxes into her full form, enveloping her neighbours with elbows and hips.

7. The OCD Mr. Fidgety

With darting eyes, this passenger finds a free seat, inspects it, brushes it off, inspects it again, brushes it off again, sits down, adjusts his pants, stands up, sits down again, adjusts his pants again, remains seated, adjusts his pants, straightens his shirt, stares accusingly at the person across who has raised an eyebrow, adjusts his pants, shifts in his seat, adjusts his pants and so on ad nauseum...I have not decided whether it's more irritating to be the person across from Mr.Fidgety, or beside him.

8. The Bag Lady

In she lopes usually at Dundas Station (where the downtown shopping centre is), with 5 bags (the scrunchy expensive paper kind) on each arm and another being carried on her middle with her arms wrapped around it. The bags whip everyone like Medusa's Serpents in attack mode. The Bag Lady, who after all that shopping feels like she deserves a seat, aims for the nearest one, bulldozing everyone in her path before sitting down and overflowing with newly purchased goods whacking the spectacles off of her neighbour.

9. The Aisle Hog

This is the young guy who slouches into the train like he doesn't want to live till tomorrow, plunks down on the seat, slides down so that his rear is at the edge of his seat and his head can lean on the back of the chair, and sticks his ripped jean legs with feet mounted on a skateboard as far out into the centre aisle as he can. When people trip over this obstacle, he grimaces at them as if he is injured and the whole world hates him.

10. The We're All Made Equal

This passenger enters a packed train and notices a newly liberated seat marked with the handicap/elderly sign, and takes it. Around him are standing an elderly man with a cane, a pregnant woman, and a girl on crutches. He stares off into oblivion repeating in his head "We're all made equal and I deserve this seat just as much as any of them", forcing the others to try to withstand the jerky movements of the train.
bbbb replying to a comment from Dan / July 17, 2014 at 01:58 pm
yes. right on.
Schoolboy T / July 17, 2014 at 02:02 pm
As a student, I gotta stand up for the backpack wearers because...we're students. The fuck else are we supposed to carry our shit in?
Dogma replying to a comment from Schoolboy T / July 17, 2014 at 02:05 pm
Nothing wrong with a backpack, but if the train or streetcar is packed you should slip it off and hold it at your feet so you take up less space.

Getting smacked in the head by a backpack as someone turns around? Not cool.
Schoolboy T replying to a comment from Dogma / July 17, 2014 at 02:08 pm
Yeah that's totally understandable and simple etiquette lol, but some people commenting act as if we shouldn't even have one in the first place
Occasional Rider replying to a comment from seathoggers / July 17, 2014 at 02:23 pm
While I don't agree with putting one's bag on the inside seat, if I'm sitting on the outside seat it's because there isn't enough leg room for me on the inside seat, or I'm getting off in a stop or two. Or I have a parcel on the floor beside me. There are sometimes reasons - just saying.
Adrian / July 17, 2014 at 02:26 pm
Retards that feel compelled to read full spread their newspaper or magazine. F U POS!
Those stupid luggage backpacks / July 17, 2014 at 02:28 pm
Briefcases too. It's not heavy... it's a laptop, a bunch of paper, a pen, and an apple. You're not going on a vacation when you go to the office, you lazy fucks.
Probe / July 17, 2014 at 02:31 pm
Just to make this list complete, let me add:

The people who somehow haven't figured out a grocery bag can hold a sopping wet umbrella, and drip all over fellow passengers' feet instead.

The people who pretend that staring into the same page of Metro for 15 minutes or wearing earphones means they can't see/hear you asking them to move over or move in.

And the "panickers" who rush vehicles and stairs, need to get near the door two stops early and impede everyone, or get right in your space on the platform (or push you) to ensure they're right beside the door when the train pulls in.

Think we've got 'em all now!
Lofto / July 17, 2014 at 02:32 pm
Wanna be rappers
Occasional Rider replying to a comment from AMH / July 17, 2014 at 02:32 pm
I think that sometimes people on phones kind of forget that they aren't in their own personal space with the person to whom they're speaking. Yes, this happens with two people talking face-to-face, but it just seems that some feel that when they're on the phone they're "not there". So you can get some pretty personal and LOUD conversations.
Probe / July 17, 2014 at 02:35 pm
Oh, and the pickup artists practicing their creepy "how to communicate with a human" patter on streetcars.
jen replying to a comment from I Care / July 17, 2014 at 02:36 pm
Except for the "oh my poor precious little snowflake is being exposed to random people germs, OH THE HUMANITY" comment. He doesn't like our germs? He can buy a car to transport his offspring.
Laura / July 17, 2014 at 02:37 pm
I don't give a shit if someone's stuff is on the seat. If they see me approaching and know that I intend to sit, They best have their bag out of the way before I sit down, Cause I don't give a fuck..I'll sit right on it.
Mikey K / July 17, 2014 at 02:47 pm
Not to be rude, but am I the only guy who gets annoyed when mothers have to bring their "Rolls Royce" strollers onto a packed bus in the middle of rush hour?. I mean, they could at least take their families to the grocery store when it's less busy on the TTC.

Fat people on the subway are also a nuisance.
Kat / July 17, 2014 at 02:47 pm
My peeve is when I'm sitting on the inner seat, and I say "Excuse me" to the person on the outer seat and they move their knee 1/8 of an inch to let me out, which does nothing. And they huff and look annoyed that they had to move 1/8 of an inch...?

Also, this isn't a terrible thing, but it always makes me laugh: When I'm sitting in the seat that faces out and someone standing on the other side of it leans their whole body on the fibreglass window. Like thank you, that's a nice view of your window-squished ass an inch from my face!

Potrzebie replying to a comment from Mikey K / July 17, 2014 at 03:03 pm
Those massive strollers are the cheap ones -- Wal-Mart specials.

More compact strollers are usually very expensive, and used by people who don't have to ride the filthy TTC with their families.

Those tiny umbrella strollers are less popular in Toronto because the tiny wheels can't handle snow.

Now y'all know.
Find Other means of Transportation replying to a comment from Rafa / July 17, 2014 at 03:13 pm
Funny, half the people commenting are just as annoying as the people they're pointing out. Can't deal with the TTC? How about you buy yourself a car, motorbike or bicycle? Better yet, why don't you go for a walk. The biggest thing I hate about being on the TTC, are the people who are too opinionated and think that they, themselves, aren't the reason why the TTC is so unbearable for everybody else. Like that Rafa guy who thinks everyone...no wait..Chinese people should be justified to giving up their seats because there are elderly people or disabled people getting on. How about the rest of f*cking train give their seats? I bet you sat your ass down watching from afar, while these Chinese people sleep through their ride. I'd rather be sleeping than have to deal with everybody else.
Find Other means of Transportation replying to a comment from Rafa / July 17, 2014 at 03:17 pm
I'de rather be sleeping than deal with the crowd. I bet you gave up your seat every time an elderly got on.../*sarcasm lol what a schmuck
Guy Glaring at You / July 17, 2014 at 03:19 pm
1) People in the outside seat who just turn ever so slightly to let you out of your spot if you are in a window seat - That's fine if you want my ass in your face as I squeeze by. I'll just make sure to crop dust a fart into your eyes as I push by.

2) Any person speaking in any language (including English) to any other person on the subway - Shut up. Seriously though. This is already the most unpleasant part of the day I really don't need it made worse by having to listen to anything besides the grinding of wheels on rails.

3) Likewise any person who attempts to talk to me. Riding the same transit system is all we have in common and all I desire us to have in common. Plus I will probably pretend to not hear you, and just get up and move.

4) People who sleep on the subway or fall asleep while sitting on the subway. I call them head bobbers and I can't help but think of those blow up clowns that you punch and they always return to an upright position - This is hardly the ideal place to snooze. As the person sitting next to you I don't need to live in fear thinking your head may accidentally brush up against me as it whips around with every movement of the subway car. In fact just to spite your lack of spatial awareness I'll probably purposely smash into you with my bag if I have to get off the car before you.

5-15) Sneezer-cougher-picker-wipers, body scratchers, mothers with strollers, all children for that matter, anyone consuming food or beverages, anyone large who violates the allocated space of a seat, pan handlers or crazy people, slow walkers, escalator stand stills.

I realize this is a lot of griping and any other normal person would just say fuck it I'll take another form of transport, but despite it all the subway is still the least infuriating, fastest and most reliable way for me to get from A-B on a daily basis in this city.
jd83 / July 17, 2014 at 03:19 pm
No problem with people who take up seats with bags when it's empy.

But please don't ever put your feet on the seats.

When waiting to get on a subway. Stand to the sides and let people get off. Everytime I go to get off, I want to barrel through the wall.
quitthettc / July 17, 2014 at 03:22 pm
I dont care how empty or how busy - you ALWAYS OFFER YOUR SEAT to pregnant women, women in general for that matter, the elderly, and people with disabilities. Its fucking SHOCKING how infrequent this behaviour is. And I say something to the douchebag every time ;)
Student / July 17, 2014 at 03:23 pm
As a student it irritates the hell out of me when people tell me to take my backpack off. If I'm standing, I want my backpack with my laptop to be on my back. I would rather not have it rolling around the subway or bus and not being stepped on thanks. It's already packed enough as it is, there is already barely enough room for me to wriggle it off. If you hate these things so much then buy a car.
lola / July 17, 2014 at 03:25 pm
hate the people who have staring problems. im not doing anything interesting, im plainly clothed - why do you insist on sitting across from me and shooting a laser beam stare thru my soul? usually if u stick your tongue out or make a face, they get embarased and stop.
Apologies replying to a comment from JMFrey / July 17, 2014 at 03:29 pm
I'm sorry for those impatient and inconsiderate jerks. Getting physical, even in a small, petty way, should never be an option. I'm glad you stand your ground, as exhausting as that must be for as often as it probably happens.
Keel replying to a comment from Mikey K / July 17, 2014 at 03:33 pm
Soo..you're picking on people that don't really have control over how much space they're taking up in that situation?

You can argue it was a conscious decision to have children or gain weight, but do you really expect people to do anything about it at that moment when they are riding the ttc? They are on there for a reason, which is probably the same as yours. They are also probably aware of how just their presence anywhere can be found annoying to somebody.

Better to just keep your mouth shut, buddy.
DDDD Jerks replying to a comment from lola / July 17, 2014 at 03:37 pm
Couldnt agree more!

Im a middle aged woman, i keep myself in shape and yes i have LARGE breasts. Like a million other women.

Why on earth do the knuckle draggers who take the TTC have to stare at my tits the second i board and not take their eyes off my breasts until i leave ?!?!?!?!
thecatismightydignified / July 17, 2014 at 03:37 pm
Aww, Mikey K, you don't like fat people on the TTC? I'm really sad you don't want to be friends. Speaking as an overweight man, I do my best to share double-seaters on the streetcar or multi-seaters on the train. Physical limitations notwithstanding (assuming anyone on this planet is capable of contracting their shoulders except under torture), I do my damnedest to scooch over. You don't want to sit next to me because I'm bigger than a skeleton? Boo-frickety-hoo, dum-dum.
Keel replying to a comment from Student / July 17, 2014 at 03:41 pm
I know the situation from having to take my laptop to university, but I just put it upright between my feet. And if you don't want it to get dirty from the floor then just put your feet underneath so it's not touching the ground.

I don't know if people are tap dancing or heavily stomping when you take the ttc but I've never had an issue with people stepping even close to my bag when I have it off.

If the train's nearly empty then idgaf and just wear it but even I get annoyed when I take my backpack off and then get hit in the face with someone else's.
Jess / July 17, 2014 at 03:44 pm
As a woman who in the past got assaulted by a male on the subway i'm sorry but I don't give a ratass about anyone else on the train/bus, If I want to sit alone with my bag next to me or with my feet up because i'm uncomfortable sitting next to strangers then too bad.
FormerStudent replying to a comment from Student / July 17, 2014 at 03:47 pm
Your backback is hitting other people in the fucking face and other places. Just because you like it on your back etc, too bad. It does not cause you physical harm to place it between your legs. Keeping on your back does. If you only want to worry about what you want, go live in a cave and take correspondence courses.
K / July 17, 2014 at 03:47 pm
I got on the College streetcar at Main Station one time and there was a lady eating a tub of KFC coleslaw using a chicken drumstick as a utensil. I admired the ingenuity, the smell and spectacle of it, not so much.
LOL replying to a comment from Guy Glaring at You / July 17, 2014 at 03:48 pm
Um so basically you don't like anyone? wouldn't it have been more simple to just say you hate everyone? lol.
Sera77 replying to a comment from Stroller guy / July 17, 2014 at 03:53 pm
Maybe one of those narrow fold up strollers is a solution? Kid still gets to sit, but it's not so wide that it blocks the aisle. Just a suggestion. I feel bad for parents with their kids on the TTC in rush hour - they don't want to be there, and they get zero sympathy from other riders. Sucks all around.
Keel replying to a comment from Guy Glaring at You / July 17, 2014 at 03:54 pm
Looking at your list, apart from number 1 which is reasonable, you seem like a really cool guy who is easy to make friends with and enjoys his life..

Riding in a small enclosed space (the new ttc cars are not as enclosed anymore but still) repeatedly for a duration of time certainly has the power to make one irritable and more perceptive to minor annoyances, I'll give you that. But, things like the desire/expectation that people be silent around you in a public place is ridiculous and you must know that.
thefuk replying to a comment from Student / July 17, 2014 at 03:55 pm
Are you a student in Special Ed?

Firstly you take the bag off before you even board, so you dont have to "wiggle" it off.

Secondly, is your bag a fucking soccer ball with a zipper on it?
Why the hell would it roll away from you? You place it at your feet, or low to the ground and you hold the top strap so it doesnt run away from you.
Sera77 replying to a comment from Student / July 17, 2014 at 03:59 pm
It has ALWAYS been TTC rider etiquette to take your backpack off and put it by your feet if standing, or on your lap if seated. So yeah, you might be irritated but you're wrong. Sorry.
K replying to a comment from quitthettc / July 17, 2014 at 04:00 pm
Not giving your seat up for pregnant women, elderly people, or disabled people is inexcusable, but you're telling me you call out males who don't give up their seats for perfectly healthy, adult women? I'm sure the ladies of Toronto can rest easy at night, knowing their ultra-chivalrous white knight is patrolling the TTC, ready to give these "douchebags" an earful.
Monica replying to a comment from Mary / July 17, 2014 at 04:01 pm
Mary I wholeheartedly agree. My mom taught me to respect my elders and I have always given up my seat to someone who needs it more than me, and now, even when I must sit due to my own disabilities, I still get up for my elders and bear the pain. I can't imagine how others justify not doing the same.
Monica replying to a comment from Laura / July 17, 2014 at 04:06 pm
I do the same!
K&S / July 17, 2014 at 04:06 pm
I was taking the 505 one night a few years back, completely empty. I was sitting near the back and some weirdo got on at Jarvis. He proceeded to walk down the lenght of the car and sit maybe three rows ahead of me.
From there he proceeded to drop to the ground, crawl along the ground (thinking i couldn't see him i guess) like a soldier, and try and stick his head up my skirt. Naturally i started kicking and screaming until the driver stopped and kicked him off.

Morals of the story...
1) The worst of the worst travel the Dundas line.
2) Wear panties at all times on the TTC.
salad days / July 17, 2014 at 04:11 pm
What about the lady on the parliament bus that eats her feces in front of innocent passengers?
ignorant. / July 17, 2014 at 04:16 pm
what i hate most! talking like your at a concert with your friends on your "SELF" phone.. honestly stop fucking shouting and stop being "i dont give a fuck what anyone thinks" that is fine with me if that is how you think but when you say that while putting everyone else in a uncomfortable ride then that is not "i dont give a fuck what anyone thinks anymore" thats public disturbance u piece of shit.. and to the people sitting right next to me and you stink like shit. pls jst take all the seats i rather stand you disgusting fuck.
Fat lady on the TTC replying to a comment from Mikey K / July 17, 2014 at 04:18 pm
Wow.

You really are a special breed of asshole, aren't you?

So let's get all the mothers with strollers off the TTC. Oh you fathers with strollers? You're probably exempt from Mikey's hate on. Fat people? Let's just shoot them or send them off on an ice floe.

Seriously Mikey, it's dicks like you that make riding the TTC unbearable.
This Guy / July 17, 2014 at 04:22 pm
One thing that bothers me is when it's busy and and everyone is fighting to get on the bus and then some people get off at the very first or second stop. Sure, some may have a hidden disability, but most are just lazy and are forcing other people to wait for the next bus when they don't really need the bus in the first place.

I don't understand why anyone would want to wait on a hot, crowded bus when you could just walk for a few minutes.

I am similarly baffled by people who wait on the platform every day at rush hour and scream at the people already on the train to pack in tighter. Sorry, but if you're waiting on the platform at Queen trying to go North at 5:10, it's going to take a few trains until there's room for you, no matter how much you scream. Why not use the time to read or run an errand or, gasp, walk up to Bloor (21 minute walk according to Google Maps) where it will be easier to get on.

I have no problem with people eating or talking on the phone or using a stroller or squeezing into seats or putting their feet up. It's public transit and it's just a reality so I don't let it get to me. If someone is blocking a seat with their bag, I'd ask them to move if I really wanted to sit but more often than not I'm happy to stand. I'm surprised more office workers don't prefer standing after a long day seated. But maybe I'm just odd.

Wait what?!? replying to a comment from K&S / July 17, 2014 at 04:48 pm
I think #2 should be at all times, unless you're seeking attention, or looking for a quickie lol
Stroller Guy replying to a comment from Sera77 / July 17, 2014 at 05:08 pm
For sure, a sensible suggestion, except it's not always that simple. It so happens that the stroller I carry on the TTC is one of the smaller ones you're referring to, since my kid is old enough to use it. However, those types of strollers are not considered safe for kids under 6 months old. You actually need one of the bigger strollers to carry smaller babies (and believe me, strollers are generally bigger now than when I was a kid). And really, I don't think it's reasonable to expect everyone to have to own 2 strollers just to accommodate some assholes on the TTC who don't think children belong on public transit.

The point I was really trying to make is that to assume that someone would willingly climb onto a busy bus or streetcar with a big stroller during rush hour just to inconvenience idiots like Mel is plain ridiculous, so instead of calling that person "inconsiderate" maybe give a moment's thought that they're no more pleased about the situation than you are, but hey, necessity.

That said, I've never actually encountered any issues with anyone on the TTC making a face at me or my kid or commenting on the stroller in the aisle. In fact, I've only rarely seen the things that people are complaining about in this post on the TTC, and I've been commuting on the 501 streetcar for the last 7 years. I guess I've been lucky not to encounter some of the dickwads that have been commenting today.

Cheers

10 Worst everything...lets celebrate the worst of everything / July 17, 2014 at 05:14 pm
Wow a worst of list. With all this commenting I can see...

10 Worst People at The EX
10 Worst People dining out
10 Worst Drivers
10 Worst Cyclists
10 Worst People at the Mall
10 Worst People at the Grocery Store
10 Worst People at the Beach
10 Worst People at a Dance Club
You're An Imbecile / July 17, 2014 at 05:27 pm
Wow. Your name should be Dick, not Rick, because you are one. "Uneducated, vile slobs with no moral compass" , only people that make horribly inaccurate comments like that are usually the most uneducated. And for someone who is soooo much smarter than the general public Mr. I.Q. , you don't have enough smarts to proof read your own comment. "No, I actually work in an area that I can commute to in a reasonable about of time ", I think you meant reasonable "amount" of time. Not about dipshit.
Robbi / July 17, 2014 at 06:04 pm
I'm 7 months pregnant and I had to give up my seat to an old lady yesterday because none of the able bodied people sitting in the handicap seats at the front of the bus would move. Then none of them offered me their seats and I stayed standing for the rest of my journey.
Mimi / July 17, 2014 at 06:06 pm
That reminds me, I need to track down some stink bomb or stink dispenser, so I could fake fart on the faces of people who fake sleep to avoid giving up their seats to the elderly.
Mimi / July 17, 2014 at 06:10 pm
In Mainland China, they don't line up, and there are panic buyings and fights to buy because things still run out - so the Chinese people you see being rude on the train is probably first generation PRC immigrants. Chill, they'll mellow out in time.

Many a times I have seen rude PRC with their children, their much more polite and embarrassed children.

I'm sure us average North Americans would be considered super rude, in Japan or something.
Brian / July 17, 2014 at 06:19 pm
#1 complaint: people who don't get the hell out of the way. Don't check your phone at the top of the escalator. Don't wait until you're at the turnstile to reach into your purse and get your token. HURRY UP PEOPLE ARE TRYING TO GO PLACES I SWEAR TO CHRIST ONE OF THESE DAYS IM FINNA GO SSJ ON THESE FOOLS
Sam / July 17, 2014 at 06:22 pm
Wow yall truly do represent your city and your mayor quite well. Yall bickering, bigotry, entitled, lashing out at each other. Thank you for showing me how yall behave.
Poots replying to a comment from S / July 17, 2014 at 06:31 pm
I won't mention the ethnicity but it was the same for 3 different people in this past year. But saw them blow their nose into their hands, no tissue, and then use said hand to grab pole on a street car.

Another wiped their hand on their pants, the other wiped hand on the wall of the seat.
Poots replying to a comment from My backpack protrudes a few inches. / July 17, 2014 at 06:32 pm
Or you could not be a total douche and just take your backpack off. Not sure if you noticed but tits and fat can't be conveniently removed for the comfort of others around you, a backpack can.
kare / July 17, 2014 at 07:00 pm
This is a pretty whiny list. Why get so bothered by little things like food eaters and loud cellphone talkers? And BO and litter are things that you have deal with everywhere, not just the ttc.

Most of you complain too much. Complaining about backpacks, ppl in doorways, dogs, strollers, knitting needles, blah blah blah. Like, do we really need to pick on parents w/strollers? Can we all just chill out and try a little empathy? I don't even have kids for crying out loud.

a replying to a comment from dan / July 17, 2014 at 07:06 pm
Thank you for your comment, especially for pointing out a person might be diabetic with low blood sugar. I am that person who eats on transit because my blood sugar will be too low by the time I reach my destination. I'm sure the people complaining would like it much more when I am the cause their bus/subway is delayed because I fainted & require paramedics. We never do know what another person's story is...
mem / July 17, 2014 at 07:27 pm
#1 pet peeve is "important rushers". People who are just SO important that they just have to push to get to the front and be the first one off the bus/streetcar/subway.

People who push and shove and cut in front of you in crowded stations. Everyone has a place to be. If you are polite about it it MIGHT be more pleasant for everyone. I'm sure your oh so important destination will not mind if you get there 30 seconds later because you chose not to push in front of that slow walking old lady.
Commenting has been disabled on this post.