Thursday, November 27, 2014Cloudy -1°C

New bike lanes and sharrows appear on Bay St.

Posted by Chris Bateman / July 15, 2014

toronto bay bike laneBay Street is joining the growing number of downtown streets getting bike lanes and sharrows -- those painted arrows -- this summer. In addition to Peter, Simcoe, Richmond, and Adelaide, the north-south corridor is getting brand new markings, some of which are already open for use.

The Toronto Cycling Twitter account sent out pictures of the newly completed lanes yesterday.

Although the timing comes as a surprise (no one was talking about bike lanes on Bay St. of late), the new road layout has been a long time coming. The designs, which call for painted bike lanes between College and Dundas and, further south, between Front and Queens Quay, were approved in 2010 under David Miller. Sharrows will fill in the gaps between lanes.

"This is something that's been in the works for quite a while, actually," says Dan Egan, the city's cycling manager. "It's just that there's been construction happening ... it's part of an ongoing process to get Bay Street designated as a [bike] route all the way down."

Last year, the city completed the installation of painted bike lanes from just north of Bloor to Davenport Road.

Chris Bateman is a staff writer at blogTO. Follow him on Twitter at @chrisbateman.

Gregg / July 15, 2014 at 12:22 pm

Let's get this out of the way right off the top.

Yes they're not separated bike lanes, yes separated divided lanes are better.

Either way this is great. Good to see the new reflected painted lanes popping up around the city this summer, definitely quick wins for us cyclists, especially on big streets like Bay St.
robert bruce fords brain / July 15, 2014 at 12:33 pm
Two months in rehab and these gravy clowns paint more bike lanes and put umbrellas on the beach. This is a jihad against the ford family. Speaking of Jihad, I could use a shawarama right now. Mmmm that would go well with a bottle of orange gatorade. Gatorade and *slirp* VODKA. Cant have vodka w/o ummm...crack. I wonder if Olivia smoked all my crack and crystal meth while on vacation...urr I mean rehab. Must keep saying rehab rehab rehab. Mom was right, Toronto people are so f* stupid. Keep saying something over and over, they believe anything. What can I say on tonights mayoral debate? Hmmmm how about, "John Tory smokes Nik's souvlakee" hehehe thats funny. Or "Olivia Chow takes it in the @$$". LOL. I cant wait for tonight. Karen will be there and guess who is going to mentally jam her during debate? ME!
Graham B / July 15, 2014 at 12:45 pm
People who ride bikes smell like sweat and get me my coffee every morning
S / July 15, 2014 at 12:59 pm
Instead of focusing on spray painting signs on roads (which will be promptly ignored by drivers with the exact same voracity that bicyclists ignore redlights and public transit), let's do something that makes sense for all commuters: make king or queen a street only for streetcars (or other forms of mass public transit such as buses), bikes, pedestrians, and emergency services. EVERYONE wins because it means bicyclists will have a SAFER route that might be faster, streetcar riders on that line will have a marginally less awful trip, and pedestrians/drivers on other streets like Dundas won't have to deal with as many bikes on the road.
Fred replying to a comment from S / July 15, 2014 at 01:07 pm
You want safer TAKE THE EARBUDS OUT while riding!

Problem with your plan is you're only addressing 1-2 streets that's hardly going to solve the problems. Also most cyclists and cars take the quickest shortest route. If I need to go to somewhere on Dundas I'm going to ride down to Dundas and across. I'm not going to ride all the way down to Queen just to ride back up to Dundas.

Chad replying to a comment from S / July 15, 2014 at 01:13 pm
For the most part I think its unfair to say bike lanes are ignored by drivers. Most divers see a physical lane and pay attention to it. See top photo. Problems arise when streets and traffic get tight. Yes cars may pull over into the lane for a delivery, or TTC may pull into the lane to let passengers off a bus.

How many times to a pass or have to go around other cyclists that have decided to sit in the bike lane while texting, or because they've bumped into someone they know and are having a chat? All the time. If your stopping to text, phone, have a chat with someone on the sidewalk. GET OFF YOUR BIKE AND GET OUT OF THE BIKE LANE.
Liberty Villain replying to a comment from S / July 15, 2014 at 01:18 pm
Tell that to all the King/Queen Street businesses that accept daily deliveries.

The easiest and cheapest solution for King and Queen is to make them one way streets. Then you can fit in a dedicated bike lane.
Rob 'n Doug / July 15, 2014 at 01:50 pm
%#@&$! bike lanes! I'm gonna build brick walls horizontal to smash da bikes! Build little subways UNDER the bike lanes for those cruddy cyclists! Who gives a shit about bikes? CarsCarsCars!
Grant / July 15, 2014 at 02:00 pm
Yay paint! That should keep the lane clear and cyclists safe.
Tim replying to a comment from Grant / July 15, 2014 at 02:12 pm
Yes reflective paint helps drivers see where the lane is, and helps cyclists know that they are in a lane.

ALSO while many cyclists seem to think its safe at night to dress in all black head to toe, ride a matte black bike, get the tiniest light with the smallest bulb possible, and ride with ear buds in I think a painted reflected line is definitely going to help.
Kevin / July 15, 2014 at 02:31 pm
Great! Now fix the pothole streets so my bike doesn't feel like it's going to fall apart.
Sharrows WITHOUT a solid white line are useless. / July 15, 2014 at 02:35 pm
See Spadina, King to College.
steve / July 15, 2014 at 04:07 pm
Simcoe is a bit of a joke. It is either a bike lane or not. Sharrows have no place it is pandering to the car and ignoring cyclists. To think that anti cyclist drivers want me to pay more then them for that. Absurd!
McRib replying to a comment from steve / July 15, 2014 at 04:20 pm
I think the Simcoe lanes are full bike lanes, not shared. Thats the impression I got today as I rode up Simcoe. They have double yellow lines showing the lane as separate from the car lane beside.

There was still someone parked in it, however.
McRib replying to a comment from steve / July 15, 2014 at 04:21 pm
I should add, this was only from King north to Queen. South of there may indeed have sharrows....
steve replying to a comment from McRib / July 15, 2014 at 05:12 pm
The north bounds lanes are full lanes, the south bound lanes are a mix of painted lanes and sharrow lanes.
Nahid / July 15, 2014 at 05:21 pm
I randomly rode up Bay Street today and came across these new lanes. The amount of cabs parked in the bike lane made them completely useless. Also, someone needs to enforce the diamond lane on Bay Street since general traffic seems to completely ignore the signs and always use the right lane.
cyclists that dont know howto turn and use their handle bars are useless / July 15, 2014 at 06:46 pm
Turn people.
Jeff / July 15, 2014 at 06:49 pm
Forget cycling posts on this site. Its the same whining with every article.
dave / July 15, 2014 at 07:41 pm
I find a lot of cyclists can be just as irresponsible as drivers. They run lights, listen to music in EAR BUDS or PHONES. They do NOT check their shoulders when turning... I am horrified riding with them.

I will usually ride at 40KM/hr along King and Bay in the mornings and try to pass these people. Darwin awards for you all. Especially neck beard @ Queen and Spadina yesterday...
Holy Thundering Jesus replying to a comment from robert bruce fords brain / July 15, 2014 at 09:41 pm
that's hilarious!
JamesVR / July 15, 2014 at 11:27 pm
TONIGHTS MAYORAL DEBATE

Definately the front runners in tonights debate were Tory and Ford.

Tory really won it. But you could argue it was a tie between Tory and Ford.

Olivia just seemed argumentative an talks about things shes not responsible for. Gun Control and Job creation is not the mayors job until they've solved the daily problems. Get my garbage picked up, address traffic congestion, keep an eye on how your spending my tax dollars.
James / July 16, 2014 at 11:50 am
"The full set of bike lanes and sharrows from Davenport Road to Queens Quay is due to be completed by next year."

Its paint. Why is this taking a year?
hamish wilson / July 20, 2014 at 02:09 pm
Just to put into a different record the fact that the southbound Davenport bike lane as it goes to Bay St. was badly horribly compromised with a perhaps-deadly pinch point as the rebuild of that intersection occurred. Where we had a gradually curving bike lane going south, (after a longer stretch of substandard bike lane), there is now a nasty pinch point that is the ped equivalent of having a two foot drop or a width of a curb. This was all pointed out to the City and Councillor Wong Tam, but they really don't care about cycling safety or we'd have a continuously safe route.
NativeTorontonianAl / July 20, 2014 at 07:46 pm
The best thing ideally is to separate the bicycle lanes by a form of barrier to protect everyone, but since Toronto is so cheap, doesn't do anything and is not progressive/innovative, then at least use coloured paint as in that yellow paint used up the middle of streets traditionally for dividing up streets and the lanes (left vs. rightbound lanes). And the yellow paint could be used to highlight the cyclist symbol as well.
cigarette users / September 3, 2014 at 10:40 am
Hey I am so happy I found your blog, I really found
you by accident, while I was searching on Yahoo for something else, Nonetheless I am
here now and would just like to say kudos for a fantastic post and a all round thrilling blog (I also love
the theme/design), I don’t have time to browse it all at the moment but I have book-marked it and also included your RSS feeds, so when I have time I
will be back to read a great deal more, Please do
keep up the superb jo.