Saturday, October 25, 2014Mostly Cloudy 14°C

65 hot and happy photos of the 2014 World Pride Parade

Posted by Derek Flack / June 30, 2014

World Pride Parade TorontoThe World Pride Parade in Toronto was the biggest and best yet, drawing thousands to the streets of our city in celebration of equality and LGTBQ rights. It was a massive, sun-drenched party, complete with dazzling costumes, water guns, hot bodies, rainbow flags galore, a Rob Ford impersonator (who stripped down to his skivvies), politicians like Kathleen Wynne, Justin Trudeau and Thomas Mulclair, a host of Toronto councillors, and even Deputy Mayor Norm Kelly (who, in some sense, is the true mayor anyway).

With almost double the number of parade participants (12,000+) than last year, the glistening and glitter-specked parade extended late into the afternoon, snaking its way through downtown streets. The mood was positively jovial as the technicolour convoy put an exclamation point on 10 days of World Pride festivities that brought out an estimated 2 million participants.

Check out all the colour-packed action from the World Pride Parade in this photo gallery.

jeff / June 30, 2014 at 09:26 am
I like how someone has a "get wasted" hat on behind Justin Trudeau
uh replying to a comment from jeff / June 30, 2014 at 10:01 am
yeah, hilarious stuff..
Sarah / June 30, 2014 at 10:02 am
Great photos! It was an awesome weekend.
Ann / June 30, 2014 at 10:02 am
I like the anti-circumcision banner, foreskin 4eva
Dylan / June 30, 2014 at 10:06 am
Glad everyone hopefully had fun and were safe but the photos are so insane and busy it looks like some kind of Fellini nightmare
mobile / June 30, 2014 at 10:13 am
this slide show functions horribly on mobile, can't see the whole pic or zoom out.... Get with it
Jason replying to a comment from Ann / June 30, 2014 at 10:33 am
What does this issue have to do with gay rights?
@Jason / June 30, 2014 at 10:47 am
Jason, what makes you think everything at Pride has to be about Gay Rights? It is much more than that, and above all it is a celebration. Nice try at picking holes in Pride, but you really should check one out sometime so that you can figure out what it is all about.
Ann replying to a comment from Jason / June 30, 2014 at 11:00 am
Check the photo gallery, anti-circumcision had a spot in the parade. Circumcision is mutilation, people should be proud of their foreskins, hence PRIDE.

Also it reminded me of H.O.O.P. - Hands Off Our Penises
Chester / June 30, 2014 at 11:29 am
Every social cause or celebration gives everyone else an opportunity to to voice there political displeasure with a certain issue. Using that opportunity to grandstand their issue because they will never have an audience of that magnitude again. The "Fuck Putin", anti circumcision, Were sorry for what other christians think of you crap these people need to go away, NO ONE CARES. People need to grow up with all this political correctness crap.
Buster replying to a comment from Chester / June 30, 2014 at 11:42 am
Hey Chester guess what? NO ONE CARES what you think either! :D
chester replying to a comment from Buster / June 30, 2014 at 11:49 am
Nice retort there. Typical liberal, you have the right to say whatever you want as long as you agree with me. lol
Buster replying to a comment from chester / June 30, 2014 at 12:11 pm
Ok what I should have said was this: if you try to keep a positive outlook on other's opinions, people should respect yours as well, whether or not they agree with it.

If you don't care, you don't need to voice that negatively, since it contributes nothing and just fosters a negative environment. Believe it or not, but everyone's opinion matters just as much as yours does.
Chester replying to a comment from Buster / June 30, 2014 at 12:32 pm
Unfortunately the world is not full of butterflies and rainbows where everyone respects peoples opinions. I'm also not stating a negative opinion or even disagreeing with them. I'm stating that this is not the venue to use as political grandstanding.
Astin replying to a comment from Chester / June 30, 2014 at 12:53 pm
2/3 of what you're complaining about are directly related to gay rights (Putin and Christian apology for hate). Which forum would you like them to use other than the Pride parade?
Cheryl / June 30, 2014 at 01:09 pm
This article leads with the sentence "The World Pride Parade in Toronto was the biggest and best yet, drawing thousands to the streets of our city in celebration of equality and LGTBQ rights."

The World Pride website says " This will be an international celebration incorporating activism, education, and the history and culture of global LGBTTIQQ2SA* communities."

Looks like BlogTO missed a few letters
Tim Hammond replying to a comment from Jason / June 30, 2014 at 02:46 pm
Jason: I can tell you as someone who has been involved in gay activism since the 1970s, "Pride" parades were not always fun and rainbows. They began as marches to protest inequality and sexual oppression. When one studies the history of infant male circumcision in North America, you discover that it was begun (and ultimately failed) as a way to stop masturbation.

The other partially obscured sign reads: Equal Rights Begin at Birth. In Canada we have a law that protects the genital integrity of girls, but not boys. If one believes in equality and human rights, it's a no-brainer to conclude that male newborns must be protected from unnecessary medical surgeries so they can make their own choices when they're old enough to understand and consent.
Sam I Am / June 30, 2014 at 02:50 pm
why must these comments inevitably always crash off the tracks into the mountain with negativity? (ie. "typical liberal", which really is no more than predictable and immaturely insecure name calling)
Butter replying to a comment from Chester / June 30, 2014 at 04:00 pm
I love butterflies, I wish there was more in the parade.
TOBooster / June 30, 2014 at 06:52 pm
My wife and I took the Go-train in to see the parade, arriving about 1:45. I am in my mid 50`s and my wife is in her late 40`s. Neither of our kids are gay from what we know but both have friends who are. These are really nice kids and I often thought given their talents and characters what a shame it must have been for each to have to somewhat (likely in the beginning mostly) hide who they are from their folks. We know that one of the lads has spoken with his folks, and all is good, as it should be. How could you not ever love and want the best for your kids, (as big a pain in the butt that they can be at times :)) Anyhow as we have never been to this parade we thought it might be fun. I would be not honest if I was not a teeny bit worried about how I might feel seeing men kissing, I guess I have lead a sheltered life as I have not, perhaps a few times in the movies,etc. But driving me more was the fact that it is so wrong I believe to attack people for their sexuality. I am sure that I never consciously decided I preferred girls over members of my sex, I just did and I assume for everyone else their body points them in the direction that is right for them. Therefore in my mind it is statistically less likely that someone will choose a member of their own sex over as opposite sex but still very natural. Therefore to discriminate, injure, ridicule, etc, someone because of this is just wrong, and given that we have friendships with young people who are gay, and likely have friends our own age who are as well (I guess they prefer to keep private their affairs which is cool) it is not acceptable to not show public support. Anyhow, we had a blast, it was such a fun parade, the weather was great, the people excellent and I saw many many people of the same sex kissing and it was not a problem in fact it was beautiful. I love my wife and I know what it feels like to be in love so I am glad I saw so many people who have found a soul mate, etc, cause it sure makes things a whole lot better. I just hope those good people from other lands enjoyed some peace and quiet in our country and will not have to endure a lot of nonsense when they return to their homes. Not acceptable at all and in closing if you have not ever attended this parade, go, it really is fun. Cheers to all
aw replying to a comment from TOBooster / June 30, 2014 at 07:38 pm
what a cool guy
Bill / June 30, 2014 at 09:33 pm
How can we submit our own photos of the parade?
Young Grasshopper / June 30, 2014 at 09:41 pm
TOBooster, it's great to hear comments like that from parents/grandparents who come from another generation. My 90 year old, immigrant grandma expressed similar sentiments this weekend -- I'm thrilled that a myriad of generations of Torontonians are so accepting. A truly Canadian trait - just in time for Canada Day!
Commenting has been disabled on this post.