Friday, November 28, 2014Cloudy -3°C

Rob Ford's rehab trip big news on the late night shows

Posted by Derek Flack / May 2, 2014

Rob Ford rehab late night TVRob Ford was, rather naturally, the biggest item on late night TV last night, as the various hosts did their bit on the latest crack allegations and the mayor's subsequent to rehab. The widespread coverage comes as no surprise, but it's interesting to track how each host handles a situation that is at once comedic fodder and at least somewhat tragic. Toward that end, my vote goes to Jon Stewart as the best in show. His take manages to underscore the severity of Ford's problems while dramatizing just how baffling the whole narrative is when you step back for a second.

Jon Stewart

The Daily Shows combination of physical humour and news clips works just about perfectly here.

Jimmy Kimmel

Kimmel, who's carried the torch on late night Rob Ford coverage, gives a full rundown of the latest revelations. While the tone is perfectly sarcastic (he goes so far as to suggest that Ford should join his show in an official capacity), there's no gloating.

Jimmy Fallon

The Tonight Show host never really hits his stride with this one, but at least the bit is PG-enough that it doesn't come off as bottom of the barrel laughs.

David Letterman

I'll admit that I thought this top 10 list (his second on Ford) might be in poor taste, but Letterman manages to keep mostly light. His serious bit at the beginning does, however, ring hollow.

NotThatDave / May 2, 2014 at 01:45 pm
Lets face it, Jon Stewart and (possibly) Steven Colbert are the only ones who can do this properly.
okay / May 2, 2014 at 01:51 pm
A.Ha.Ha.
Liz / May 2, 2014 at 02:48 pm
Ugh, I can't wait until we have a Mayor that isn't popular on the US late night shows.
Darma replying to a comment from Liz / May 2, 2014 at 02:52 pm
You don't have to wait, just stop watching Ford and start watching the other candidates.

Olivia Chow apologizes
Hey "Darma" / May 2, 2014 at 03:14 pm
Every dumb troll post about Chow gives her 1,000 votes. Keep up the good work!
Darma / May 2, 2014 at 03:21 pm
I know I love her too! She will win in the end!
Rob Ford / May 2, 2014 at 03:48 pm
See? I'm HIGH-ly famous! See, Ma? See? Thanks to Doug for starting me on drugs when I was 12! Thanks to Daddy for letting me chug-a-lug beer at 10! Thanks to my alcoholic wife! Sandro is BAD! Kathy is BAD! Randy is BAD! IT'S NOT MY FAULT!!
Wynne / May 2, 2014 at 04:25 pm
WOW we now have two terrible elections to focus on

Kathleen Wynne calls June 12 Ontario election

Conserve / May 2, 2014 at 04:29 pm
It's time for Ford to drop out of the race and give someone like John Tory a chance to continue with most of his course of conservative fiscal responsibility.

If Ford does care about the taxpayer, as he says, it won't help if Ford splits the conservative vote and Chow gets in. Ford should bow out.
Rob Ford / May 2, 2014 at 07:03 pm
I did drop out, doofus! I'm in Chicago Clown School and have been cast as Bozo the Clown in a new show Saturday morning after Labour Day.
If you care about Ontario... / May 2, 2014 at 07:19 pm
VOTE WYNNE!
Hudak the Murderer / May 2, 2014 at 07:20 pm
Vote for me or I keel you a million times!
Perry Como / May 2, 2014 at 09:25 pm
Chow sucks donkey cock
Captain Obvious / May 2, 2014 at 09:56 pm
1) rofo gets caught on tape. 2) Drug dealer blackmails rofo 3) rofo tells DD to eff off. 4) DD offers tape to globenmail/gawker/torontostar. 5) rofo makes a break for chicago (using US passport) to avoid getting arrested by TPS. 6) dougford hired thgs to track down drug-dealer and tapes 7) rofo returns back to canada when coast is clear.
Perry Coma / May 2, 2014 at 10:54 pm
Papa loves Mambo,...Mama loves Mambo, Baby loves Mambo, Olivia LOVES Mambo...
rick / May 2, 2014 at 11:25 pm
I wouldn't vote for anyone. either way Toronto's in trouble if these are our mayoral candidates
Gina / May 3, 2014 at 12:16 am
Y'all listen here, Y'all better start listening to what the other candidates are saying to you while its quiet time. Our boy Robbie has taken 30 days off at the minimum EVEN though a habit is broken in 28 days. Everyone knows the campaigning doesnt really start until after may 2-4 weekend, right when Robbies 30's days are just about up. He's gonna come back lean and mean!
Gabi / May 3, 2014 at 12:40 am
AGREED!! I am amazed by the Ford Family strategic planning abilities! I've met a lot of media planners that can't get the exposure in the media that this family can.

Everyone knows the real campaigning doesn't start until a week or two after May two-four weekend. Exactly when our boy Robbie will finished with his cleanse
Gina & Gabi are 2 amoebas on a keyboard. / May 3, 2014 at 07:31 am
Maybe insect larvae?
OneWhoKnows / May 3, 2014 at 10:44 am
I watched Letterman last night. His jokes on Ford fell flat. Not because Letterman isn't funny, but because people in the US (at least on this occasion) are not finding Fords predicament all that funny anymore. The public (except you guys) are either feeling sympathetic or empathetic towards Rob. Let the comediens have their fun. They're just making themselves look bad in the eyes of their own. I'd always known it didn't take much to entertain you guys.

All the best Mayor Ford. Get well soon. Your supporters will be waiting right here when you get back.

Don Rickles (sp?) was hilarious last night. He'll always be the crowds favorite. Shout out to Billy Cystal too. It's been so long since I had a good gut splitting belly laugh. You still got it. Thanks.

P.S. What works for Ford, won't work for Chow. She is afterall "not white" and "not a man". It is all down hill for Chow from here on in. Count on it.
SeanStewart / May 3, 2014 at 11:06 am
Should have ended with Kimmel. Letterman's comedy bits, especially the top 10 lists, always fall flat. #JustJournalismThings
Mike / May 3, 2014 at 12:45 pm
Jon Stewart comments on Ford are awesome!!

Get better Rob, Toronto needs you! Ford more years.

Montgomery triangle is awesome!
Ian / May 3, 2014 at 01:15 pm
Doug Ford should run for mayor in his brothers absence. The door is now wide open for Tory and Chow but neither have been able to ignite their campaigns and present a platform that can actually be brought home and achieved. The hole left by Rob absence is up for grabs and if Rob never returns Doug should step forward he could easily keep the platform moving forward and instantly get all of Robs Ford Nation votes. Doug would have best chance of winning over Olivia and Tory.
Rob Ford & Doug Ford Emerged From Slime / May 3, 2014 at 02:39 pm
Primordial Slime, that is. Oozing their way into human society, these 2 invertebrates adopted the speech & behaviour of the least intelligent humans. Devolving rapidly back into the gross, swamp, feces-eating creatures they once were, the Fordus Expectorantus Anuses will shortly disappear, leaving no sign of their existence.
Dr. Kukko / May 3, 2014 at 03:23 pm
Wonder what Stewart, Kimmel, et al will do with the Rob Ford sex tape.
ODAAT / May 3, 2014 at 03:43 pm
IF, and thats IF, Rob should opt out (entirely), for health reasons, I would have no problem voting for his brother Doug. Doug can hold his own too and his platform is identicle to Robs. I trust Doug. If Doug is thinking about it, he should wait for Rob to exit treatment. How one feels going into treatment and how one feels coming out are very different. If Rob stays the course, he can only feel better as he goes along in sobriety.
Indeed / May 3, 2014 at 04:03 pm
Sex tape? Its illegal to make such a tape. I would love to see the jacka*s dumb enough to come forward with such a tape, or watch the police make further jackas*es of themselves doing nothing about it. I think we have a pretty big organized crime problem in this city and it's about time the RCMP got involved. This BS has corrupt Liberal stink all over it.
Indeed + ODAAT=CORRUPT / May 3, 2014 at 04:51 pm
Ford {Athletic) Supporters, donchaknow. Slimey! Rotting! Disgusting! Doug is GANGRENOUS!
Irwinbred Mimico / May 3, 2014 at 04:56 pm
No Doug! Just Rob! Rob...Call me! Like before about my sump pump! You ARE the SUMP PUMP MAYOR FOREVER, OH YEEEAAAAHHHH!
Mitchell / May 3, 2014 at 05:06 pm
Did anyone actually laugh during these skits? I don't know how they managed to remove all traces of humour from Rob Ford..
Brody / May 3, 2014 at 06:57 pm
I thought the sex tape was already out there?

Gene / May 3, 2014 at 09:47 pm
Yes I laughed during the Letterman Top 10.
Captain Syphillis / May 4, 2014 at 04:41 pm
All your comments are awesome!! Too funny!! Rob and Doug are ridiculous, how can this be happening. I agree with one thing:

Montgomery triangle is awesome

Montgomery triangle is awesome!
Jamie replying to a comment from Captain Syphillis / May 4, 2014 at 10:10 pm
Rob is out of hand yes, but Doug is still stable and could make a run for mayor if Rob doesn't return. He'd automatically get all the Ford Nation votes dropping him in second place. If he puts a little elbow grease into it Dougie could win this for us!!
DrugDealerDoug / May 5, 2014 at 06:48 pm
I would run the city like I ran my drug business. Vote DDD, vote Drugs, vote Ford! FOUR MORE 'SCRIPTS! FOUR MORE HITS! FOUR MORE HIGHS! DRUGS!DRUGS!DRUGS!
SedateFordNation! / May 5, 2014 at 06:49 pm
Free drugs? Vote Doug!
Wally / May 7, 2014 at 11:48 am

By Golly!! I feel like I am back in football camp!

This is great news!!! Long and strong!! Ford is going to run again. He is getting better--great news!!

Montgomery triangle is awesome!