Friday, October 31, 2014Light Rain 6°C

Dufferin deemed the worst road in Ontario yet again

Posted by Derek Flack / May 28, 2014

Dufferin worst roadIs anyone surprised that Dufferin has been voted the worst road in the province yet again? The CAA of South Central Ontario released its 10 worst roads list earlier today, and, joy of joys, Toronto took home seven spots. Before we feign too much outrage, however, it's worth noting that as the province's biggest city, we're bound to occupy a prominent place on lists such as this one. While that doesn't make a drive along construction-riddled, pothole-strewn Dufferin a whole lot better, it's important to have perspective. I'd rather commute along Dufferin every day, for instance, than live anywhere in Ottawa.

Here's the rest of the list, for your records. It's not that easy to avoid all the Toronto streets included here, but should you find yourself driving along one of them, just remind yourself that this city is worth a few potholes. And what better way to welcome Rob Ford back from rehab than by giving him a personal call about the road conditions in your area?

• Dufferin Street (Toronto)
  • Stanley Avenue (Niagara Falls)
  • Kipling Avenue (Toronto)
  • Finch Avenue West (Toronto)
  • Burlington Street East (Hamilton)
  • Bayview Avenue (Toronto)
  • Carling Avenue (Ottawa)
  • Markham Road (Toronto)
  • Lawrence Avenue East (Toronto)
  • Wilson Avenue (Toronto)

Photo by drum118

Chester / May 28, 2014 at 11:14 am
Wow that was a really low shot at Ottawa.
Kevin / May 28, 2014 at 11:19 am
Yeah, what's with the hating for Ottawa? Not everything here in the YYZ is sunshine and puppies.
#FordMoreYears / May 28, 2014 at 11:30 am
Today is Rob Ford's Birthday!!! (as well as John Tory's Bday).

We wish Rob well, and hope for a speedy recovery! Happy Bithday big guy we miss you, we need you!

See you all October 27th!
Concur / May 28, 2014 at 11:40 am
I agree, I'd put a bullet in my temple than live anywhere but Toronto.

Most Canadians are vile.
Toronto Resident / May 28, 2014 at 11:46 am
Ottawa is a beautiful city with easy access to mountains, rivers, lakes providing a great lifestyle. If all you do in Toronto is Commute, Work, Commute, Sleep, Commute, Work, Commute, Sleep sure keep driving up and down Dufferin st.
Ash / May 28, 2014 at 11:51 am
I live and commute by bicycle on midtown Dufferin. Literally every day I am positive I'm going to get smoked by a car/bus or hit a pothole that causes me to be ejected into an intersection. I would gladly, gladly trade this for Ottawa any day of the week.

Keep it classy, BlogTO.
BP replying to a comment from Toronto Resident / May 28, 2014 at 11:57 am
If you're living in a city because it has easy access and proximity to the great outdoors, then you probably aren't made for city life.
hamish wilson / May 28, 2014 at 12:12 pm
Bloor St. W. is pretty horrible in the construction zone; also west of Ave. Road, and it's truly dangerous westbound west of Spadina for a block.
rs / May 28, 2014 at 12:17 pm
Ya, what's with the Ottawa comment?

I drive daily on the south end of Dufferin...it's been a mess, but between gardener and queen, it's been fixed up with streetcar tracks repaired, and between queen and dundas, they are making improvements. There's also the Dufferin street jog which was a major, costly improvement
Toronto Resident replying to a comment from BP / May 28, 2014 at 12:21 pm
No you live in a city for work and just like many they head up the 400 on a weekend up to cottage country for the great outdoors.

Cities like Vancouver, Montreal and Ottawa are closer to the great outdoors while Toronto has ruined most of what it had to offer. Wouldn't it be great to be able to paddle or take a boat up the Don River? Skating up and down it in the winter time, too bad we put a parkway right beside it and ruined it with run off and garbage. So we head up the 400 so we can be in the country and go to blue mountain, etc....
freddiestarfish / May 28, 2014 at 12:41 pm
Dufferin definitely deserves top spot. Not only is the state of the road the worst, it's got probably some of the ugliest houses in the city and we can' go without mention the worst TTC line that has probably ever existed: the 29 Dufferin bus, which, when it arrives, does so in 20-30 minute waits with about 6-10 buses all showing up at the same time.
jameson / May 28, 2014 at 12:58 pm
Dufferin is pretty bad. But so is Kipling.

I would say Bloor west of Jane to Islington should be included.
BP replying to a comment from Toronto Resident / May 28, 2014 at 01:03 pm
Like I said you aren't really made for city life if you think the only reason to be in one is for work.

Maybe it's time for a move.
Nathan / May 28, 2014 at 01:30 pm
And the funny thing is that Dufferin Street is in way better shape than most streets here in Montréal! Sherbrooke looks like the aftermath of the blitz, and the Champlain Bridge, well, might just crumble away right under your tires. Thanks for the great job on my city Mafia! We love you! And our crumbling stadium too!
Mike / May 28, 2014 at 02:06 pm
I drive another route (take Yonge, Mt Pleasant, Leslie or Don Mills) just to avoid Bayview Ave. And I live on Bayview Ave. Sigh.
TorontoResident replying to a comment from BP / May 28, 2014 at 02:20 pm
No not time for a move, I enjoy this city everyday and enjoy weekend get aways as many do. There's more to life than drinking tall boys in Bellwoods park. I love Toronto, I'm sticking up for Ottawa as I've enjoyed many a time there as well. The writer of this article personally took a closed mind jab at Ottawa for no reason as it adds no value to the story.
TorontoResident replying to a comment from BP / May 28, 2014 at 02:22 pm
Ohh and if you're going to complain about the roads OR how hard it is to cycle in this city without bike lanes, the TTC or the Crack Mayor please move to another city that can accommodate your whininess.
Malcolm replying to a comment from BP / May 28, 2014 at 02:39 pm
BP: Takes quite the skill set to completely miss all of TR's (quite valid) points.

City life is probably too competitive for you... maybe it's time for a move.
BP replying to a comment from Malcolm / May 28, 2014 at 04:04 pm
Both you and the other guy obviously have reading comprehension issues. Thanks for getting all that out of my post. I'd suggest you move but the mental heath services in the city are probably much better than what you'd encounter in the mountains.
DL replying to a comment from Toronto Resident / May 28, 2014 at 04:10 pm
Ottawa fucking sucks.
DL / May 28, 2014 at 04:12 pm
Lawrence East? I drive it almost daily between Kennedy and the DVP and other than a couple bumps between Kennedy and Birchmount I don't notice anything untoward along that route. Someone know something I don't?
Debbie / May 28, 2014 at 04:37 pm
Hate on our nation's capital all you want.

At least the pro-Ottawa crowd and express themselves without resorting to name calling and referring to mental health issues (which isn't a joke).

Comments like "Ottawa fucking sucks." prove that you are Ford Nation no need to explain your feelings. Can you express why you think Ottawa sucks? or you don't really know. "Like Justin Beiber fucking sucks."
Anti-Debbie / May 28, 2014 at 04:52 pm
Hi I'm Debbie, I'm a frau. Little Kayden and Jayden are my little heroes. They play soccer because no one is a loser in soccer and their feelings don't get hurt like when playing baseball and hockey and they get picked last for the team.

Everybody is a winner in life and if you aren't successful it means the world is just wrong. Because you and especially my crotch fruit are SPECIAL and extraordinary!!!!
Uh replying to a comment from #FordMoreYears / May 28, 2014 at 05:23 pm
Shut. Up.
D replying to a comment from DL / May 28, 2014 at 05:48 pm
I think they (blogTO) meant Lawrence east of Yonge. I drive that stretch - from Bayview on westward - daily heading home from work. It's pretty bad.

Bayview ought to be higher up on this list!
Anything But Dufferin / May 28, 2014 at 07:41 pm
Worst road to cycle, drive, and walk along especially now with all the construction, and not to mention the 29 Dufferin bus!! #anythingbutdufferin
cbet / May 28, 2014 at 08:09 pm
I used to live on Dufferin, so I was hurt when I read the title.

Then I read the first paragraph. I live in Ottawa now.
Nikki / May 28, 2014 at 08:22 pm
What is interesting for those who are familiar with Dufferin, it was repaired within the last 5 years. When CAA brought up Steeles as the worst road and it was repaired quickly, it has had no issues, no CAA ranking thereafter of the worst roads.. How can a road that was repaired be on the list again.. Hope CAA gets some air time with this
BdyyZ / May 28, 2014 at 08:34 pm
It's amazing...the roads are crumbling for the thousands of cars and bikes on arterial roads, yet in my Etobicoke neighbourhood they are replacing sidewalks on tertiary residential streets that maybe see 100 people a week.
jeff / May 28, 2014 at 11:58 pm
Was on Dufferin yesterday and it is getting close to being finished. Part of it has been repaved... Still closed to southbound traffic. But, when it was bad, it was bad! I went with an SUV and I still thought I was going to do some serious damage to my car! I guess they figured no point in filling a pot hole if they were going to rip it out/etc.
chris / May 29, 2014 at 10:54 am
Several other dangerous streets downtown should have made the cut, yes Bloor for sure, Dovercourt, the hell storm that is Adelaide - construction and the influx of condo development has destroyed our infrastructure as has the fact that the city does patch jobs anytime there is a hole, when they should actually be fixing the problem altogether. They just throw a shovel-full of asphalt at the problem. Sorry, that doesn't count as a "fix". I'm just not a fan of Toronto anymore since the face of it has changed so much.
McRib replying to a comment from TorontoResident / May 29, 2014 at 12:16 pm
you're the only one whining in here, pal.

(Ottawa is shit)
McRobb replying to a comment from McRib / May 29, 2014 at 12:48 pm
Why are you whining about Ottawa, if you don't even live there?

Do always carry this much negativity and anger around for things that don't effect your day to day? It's not good for your health, ease up.
RAF / May 29, 2014 at 01:07 pm
7 out of 10 in Toronto. Man, that Rob Ford is doing a great job!
Curlysunflowers / June 3, 2014 at 10:34 am
Dufferin Street rules! For ruining your day,your feet, cars, bikes, ttc is a not happening, never mind the construction, cant do the job right the first time.House are great, if they did not have to have construction in front of them 365 days a year.Lets see if they can get this construction job done right and on time.