Monday, September 1, 2014Mostly Cloudy 26°C

The Toronto skyline makes for one stylish ruler

Posted by Derek Flack / March 21, 2014

2014321-skyline-ruler.jpgI've posted about a lot of quirky Toronto paraphernalia over the years, be it maps, coasters, baseball bats, or screen prints, but this skyline ruler might take the cake for its odd charm. Part of a series that also includes cities like Paris, New York, Amersterdam, and Berlin, it's a cheap little souvenir ($9 US) that's sure to appeal to urban nerds and those who like the idea of being able to trace an outline of Toronto in less than three seconds.

Comparing the various cities on offer, it's nice to note that when paired down to its most iconic elements, our skyline might just be the nicest of the bunch -- or, at a minimum, holds its own against some of the other celebrated cities of the world. Here's a question for the Torontophiles out there: from what perspective do you think the skyline is presented here? Snake Island? Ward's? The Ferry? Weigh in with your suggestions below.

The Skyline Ruler is available online from Monkey Business.

Fedora Man / March 21, 2014 at 11:54 am
I want a fedora shaped ruler.
Ben Oginz / March 21, 2014 at 12:20 pm
Best Toronto Posters
Ben Oginz / March 21, 2014 at 12:22 pm
Best Toronto Posters at torontospaceprogram.com
Curious / March 21, 2014 at 12:35 pm
I'm totally curious to see what people will find to complain about this news!!!LOL! The anti-"Torontophiles" always seem to be standing by to find fault with any product featuring Toronto.
Torontophiles replying to a comment from Curious / March 21, 2014 at 06:03 pm
I'm pissed!!!

I came on here looking for news, events and politics instead I find a sales pitch about a one sided ruler! I wouldn't even call it a ruler its a stencil that has a flat edge so the put measurements on it.

Is it in inches or centimeters?
Description says centimeters but photo looks like inches - not sure why they'd be selling international rulers in centimeters - get your description right!

If it is 20 centimeters long that's a small ruler and a small skyline stencil.
20 centimeters = 7.87402 inches.

At $9 for a 20cm ruler your paying 0.45 per cm!
Torontophiles replying to a comment from Curious / March 21, 2014 at 06:16 pm
Now I'm even more pissed!!!!

I just measured my cabinets and they're three skylines wide, I called Ikea to see if they have baskets that will fit and they tell me they don't measure in skylines!!!! I said PARDON....I SNAPPED!! I LOSE IT!!!

And that's why they call me the champ.