Wednesday, October 1, 2014Light Drizzle 15°C

Olivia Chow set to wade into the Toronto mayoral race

Posted by Chris Bateman / March 12, 2014

toronto olivia chowThe most widespread rumour in Toronto politics looks set to finally be confirmed later today. Olivia Chow is going to quit the House of Commons and register to run for mayor of Toronto on Thursday, The Globe and Mail reports, citing "senior sources" close to the campaign.

The addition of Chow, who has been widely tipped to run for more than a year, would bring the field of leading contenders to five, with Rob Ford, John Tory, David Soknacki, and Karen Stintz also in contention. She would become the only left-leaning candidate in the field so far.

It's not clear what form Chow's campaign will take, though she will undoubtedly represent the starkest contrast to Rob Ford. The Globe and Mail says she will present herself as a fiscally conservative "change" candidate, citing her family's background as immigrants from Hong Kong.

Before being elected MP for Trinity-Spadina in 2006, Chow held a seat on Metro Toronto Council from 1991 to 1997 and was a city councillor from 1997 to 2005 alongside her late husband Jack Layton.

Without officially expressing an interest, polls over the last 12 months have consistently put the MP roughly level pegging with Rob Ford.

What do you think of the news? Can Chow win Rob Ford's suburban vote and beat the political veteran John Tory?

Chris Bateman is a staff writer at blogTO. Follow him on Twitter at @chrisbateman.

Image: Ryan Kelpin/blogTO Flickr pool.

Aaron / March 12, 2014 at 03:33 am
She'll just make the other candidates look real good.

Quitting as an MP, she just dissed her federal constituents. I'm sure they won't be too happy with her decision.
Jay / March 12, 2014 at 04:45 am
No other candidate will care less about anyone outside the downtown core than Olivia Chow. If she wins She will create a even wider devide in the city and we will be begging for the days of David Miller to come back.
shane / March 12, 2014 at 04:54 am
The federal arena proved to big for her.
shane / March 12, 2014 at 04:54 am
too
Bob / March 12, 2014 at 04:58 am
Nothing like KKK style slurs on this board by Ford 'crack' village to put Olivia's approval ratings even higher among Torontonians :)
Esn / March 12, 2014 at 06:13 am
Until further notice, my vote is parked with David Soknacki because he's released the most detailed and sensible policies so far (and he's a geek, which I like). I'll certainly consider Chow, but frankly "a fiscally conservative change candidate" is what EVERY ONE of the five major candidates is claiming to be.
Here Rob, says Olivia, handling him a wide, heavy box... / March 12, 2014 at 06:27 am
Rob Ford: What's this, Olivia?

Olivia Chow: Your ass, Rob. And as of today, I'm handing it to you.

Buckle up folks...this is the fun part. Wherein Rob Ford blows his own re-election campaign and Olivia Chow, stealing a page from rich-brat/bozo Ford, shoots up the middle to take back the Mayor's chair.

Maybe Tory can pull it out. A long shot would be Stintz, and I wouldn't mind if a smart policy wonk like Solancki got in. But really, like the smart money in 2016 is on Hilary Clinton, like the smart money for 2015 is on Olivia Chow.

Can't wait for the morning after where the low information mouth-breathers have to suck it up and accept that no one at City Hall is there to represent their impossible mantra of full services with tax cuts FINALLY goes out the window.
E.Toby Coke replying to a comment from Sanapna Gulagingham / March 12, 2014 at 06:31 am
"Many minorities voted for robbie out of sheer ignorance and based on seeing his name frequently."
-So minorities are more stupid than non-minorities?

"Non-minorities also voted for robbie based on simple logic: better to have one of your own in city hall than someone with cultural differences"
-Is this phenomenon behind David Miller's two victories, too? FYI, it's not why I voted for Miller.

"(Chow) isn't going to bring a bag of tricks and bs..."
-but then you point out who her hired gun is?

I fear that Chow Nation is just as simplistic and blind as Ford Nation
Hey Jay.... replying to a comment from Jay / March 12, 2014 at 06:40 am
...the City started begging for David Miller to come back the day Blob Fudd was elected.

Never before in the history of this city did the citizenry of this (once great) town wake up with such a painful hangover.

Well...they voted him in, and now Chow is going to have to somehow clean up the mess. Like Hall after Lastman, Rae after Harris, Chretien after Mulroney, Obama after Bush, Trudeau after Harper...

Hmm...I'm sensing a pattern here. Fiscally incompetent conservatives boast about their financial mgmt skills, get into office, and burn the joint to the ground economically. All on the backs of the working man, because you KNOW no rich families ever did poorly under a conservative leader.

Keep dreaming, sheep. But one day you'll wake up and realize you wasted your vote not going with a NDP, Liberal, Independent or Green vote.
Good call, Bob replying to a comment from Bob / March 12, 2014 at 06:43 am
Like The Ford family, "John Labatt" is just another over-privileged silver spoon acting like he's one with the common people...which is probably the most obnoxious kind of elite there is.

I've met Olivia Chow in Kensington market...she was there for many Ped. Sundays...she'll work hard for EVERY citizen, not just the ones who want to complain about potholes and grafitti and all the foreigners who moved in on their street.
Good call, Bob replying to a comment from E.Toby Coke / March 12, 2014 at 06:47 am
-So minorities are more stupid than non-minorities?

No, Ford's team (nt Ford himself) was shrewd, they went after minorities saying they would help, and then slammed the door on them once in office. What has the average immigrant gotten from Robb Flabb other than his phone number and a magnet???

"I fear that Chow Nation is just as simplistic and blind as Ford Nation"
-Well, once a mouth-breather, always a mouth-breather. But stick around and maybe you can learn a thing or two about how to run a city, and how to harness the power of grassroots WORK, which her followers are willing to do. Ford Nation just wanted the car tax gone and the price of gas to be lowered to 10 cents a gallon.
Good call, Esn replying to a comment from Esn / March 12, 2014 at 06:49 am
Yeah...I'd like to see Solancki do well. Maybe he comes in third or fourth, but then Olivia Chow makes him Deputy Mayor, or has him concentrate on the budget or other top tier file??
Hey Shane... replying to a comment from shane / March 12, 2014 at 06:51 am
...in 12 years, after Chow steps down following her second term as mayor, you're going to buy me a beer when she runs again federally and handily wins the PMO, based largely on how she turned Toronto around and became one of its most successful mayors ever.

That is going to be one tasty beer, my friend.

wow, ford nation trolls have said some pretty nasty things already / March 12, 2014 at 07:03 am
no wonder their comments were deleted!!! this isn't a place for racism, no place is!! chow has as much right as tory or stintz or ford to run, and she was a good councillor when i lived downtown. lets let them all mix it up and let the best candidate win. theres no need for ethnicity or lady bashing, lets have a clean fight for once.
John / March 12, 2014 at 07:04 am
John Tory for mayor!
Duh? replying to a comment from John / March 12, 2014 at 07:08 am
Um, John Tory already IS running for Mayor, silly.

But thanks for re-stating the fact. It's good to know Tory's supporters can be counted on to suddenly point out the obvious.

Hey, in case we ever forget, would you make a note of reminding us that the CN Tower is tall and lake Ontario is wet.

(thanks, buddy!)
Al / March 12, 2014 at 07:46 am
Unless Ford drops out, he will steal enough votes from the legitimate right-of-centre candidates to ensure that Chow wins.
John Labatt / March 12, 2014 at 07:49 am
What a goy!
BM / March 12, 2014 at 08:54 am
Ugh! Do we always have to go completely to the other side? Save us from them both.
I'm from Red Deer replying to a comment from Yep / March 12, 2014 at 08:55 am
and even I find part of Etobicoke pretty shocking when it comes to random racism, zenophobia and (though less overt) homophobia. Two weeks ago at a Timmy's, I heard two white boomers talking in line, neither knew each other, and one started talking about immigrants taking jobs unprompted in line--a complete non-sequitor to their idiot conversation about trucks. Or maybe he looked down the line and didn't like who would be handing him his donuts, I don't know.

Anyway, he said it in that slightly louder than normal, proudly ignorant way that people who are either trying to shock or wanting to get an amen from a like-minded soul, but was talking to a guy not 1 foot from his face, so it was bizarre. Made me ill.

I don't care who wins, as long as they can govern this town and bring back respectability, some sense of fiscal responsibility, and get back to long-term planning instead of us always wildly pinballing from crises to crises. Boggles my brain that I'd come all this way to find Calgary progressive and Toronto and backwater.
gonzo / March 12, 2014 at 08:55 am
This plays right into ford's hand. She's the lefty poster child and he's just going to ride it.

Right now Tory is the only alternative to baby huey. But I'm sure he'll have some sort of moronic political bungle like he always does.

Even though this is the last thing I ever want to happen, here's the reality. Ford is going to win.
i can see why you think this gonzo replying to a comment from gonzo / March 12, 2014 at 09:00 am
the situation is more complicated/nuanced than what you've opined, and political science doesn't sound like your forte.

no, chow --for better or for worse-- has this one wrapped up. let's hope she knows what a sh*tstorm she's getting herself into.
Dr. Kukko / March 12, 2014 at 09:05 am
1 mayor = 1 vote on Council. None of this matters - as long as Ford loses. Depraved wackos shouldn't be mayor whatever their comedic appeal.
J replying to a comment from Here Rob, says Olivia, handling him a wide, heavy box... / March 12, 2014 at 09:06 am
Preach!

Re: "Couldn't happen any sooner, either. This City is sick of this spend-crazy, economically-ignorant, barely-working, rarely sober, misogynistic, racist, homophobic, alcoholic, drug-addled self-deluded imbecile who managed to make a lot of regular folks think he is one of them, but is just an obnoxious elite in sweat pants."
Ryan / March 12, 2014 at 09:10 am
I hate Ford, but will have a hard time voting for Chow (if that's what it takes).

Same old story. The right wingers are assholes, and the lefties are just opportunists.
Melissa / March 12, 2014 at 09:24 am
Olivia Chow, although a very nice person, will be a disaster for our city. She's too 'pro' spending money to support groups everywhere that do absolutely nothing for the greater good. Our city is in debt, we need logical, intelligent people at the helm (not Ford) such as John Tory who can balance spending effectively with saving measures. Unfortunately, with all of these 'big names' in this race, it's going to cause a split with the outcome being less than desirable.
W. K. Lis / March 12, 2014 at 09:25 am
In the U.S., candidates keep their government posts while running for other posts. In Canada, they usually quit their posts while running.
Mac / March 12, 2014 at 09:35 am
She's informed, educated, experienced, dedicated and doesn't spend her "personal time" drinking with known gang members, criminals and crack smokers....she's definitely lost the suburban vote.
emmceegee / March 12, 2014 at 09:43 am
Good luck with all that TO. #anyonebutford
gary / March 12, 2014 at 09:44 am
My vote will go to Chow. I don't see any other options at this point.
jon / March 12, 2014 at 09:45 am
The city is a billion dollar business. No one running is really qualified to run it. She is far from being able to do so properly, was never great at what she did. She always had Layton to hold on to. Ford is an insane maniac that needs to go but she is not the alternative here. We need a strong, business minded person who knows city infrastructure, is progressive but not douchey and gives an darn about the public. Guys we are not looking good here. If you want what San Fran got we need to find a CEO type person who has had results, not someone who never held a job and got voted in to council somehow. They are all people you would want fired from your work place and you know it.
Dr. Kukko / March 12, 2014 at 09:54 am
If you are voting on comedic value, you HAVE TO vote for BLOBFORD!
Preaching to the choir replying to a comment from J / March 12, 2014 at 09:55 am
We all know Ford has to go, now it's just a footrace to who is going to have to clean-up the massive mess Ford left as his "legacy". I wonder if one term will be enough to clean out all the rot and patronage?

I worked as an assistant to a Councillor who had a hard time with Ford because he always circumnavigated the system in place, just calling in his buddies in different departments to do a job, leapfrogging over the rest of the citizens who had gone through proper channels (Councillor or 311). Not cool or fair. Especially since he pays them all off with excessively generous "holiday" gifts, which I also hated.

Well, that was self-interest, really. because I was jealous. The Coun. I worked for never played ball with Ford, so we were dead to him...and I know he's really generous with staffers because I have friends who the Mayor showered with fun stuff.

Anyway...looking forward to a clean, well-run Mayor's office, and maybe to see some of the deadwood in Council also given the boot. Here's to 2015!
Sandy replying to a comment from John Labatt II / March 12, 2014 at 10:06 am
I hope the first thing Chow does is build a 10-storey interpretative monument to labour/world peace/soya beans.

In Etobicoke. At the corner of 427 and QEW. And that it costs a LOT of taxpayer dollars. And requires a TON of expensive upkeep.

To see the looks on locals' faces as they're forced to pass it everyday on their commute would be priceless!

Suck it, Tax-And-Spend-Alarmists! (Left and centre candidates have always taken better care of city finances than right-leaning governemnts ever did)

FordMoreBeers / March 12, 2014 at 10:30 am
Chow or Soknacki. I hate to say it but Ford blew it so bad we might actually need a conservative Mayor for 1 terms to fix things. I mean a real, fiscally conservative mayor with an IQ >100. I am a lifelong fan of Chow's but I await her platform, because as leftie as I am I don't think Ford is leaving the City in good hands financially.
Jill / March 12, 2014 at 10:45 am
The only thing Olivia has going for her is Jack (and ironically Jack never made mayor).
Drago / March 12, 2014 at 10:51 am
I wonder what Neil Young and Wiarton Willie think about this?
Irwin Mimico / March 12, 2014 at 11:08 am
Hey red deer, everybody in etobicoke is NOT ignorant like that. There are racists everywhere. Mr. Ford will win mark my words. If chow or tory where to get elected you might as well bring back David Miller.
v79 / March 12, 2014 at 11:12 am
She's a nice lady (I know, we've bought each other drinks before socially), but she's been a dismal failure as a politician. I can't remember the last time someone accomplished so little for his or her constituents in such a long life in public service. She was completely drowned out by her superiors on the federal stage, where she was a sorry excuse for a critic, and her days on City Council with Jack were extremely divisive. She voted for many counter productive and outright negative motions which were greatly detrimental to this city. As for those saying she's "smart and educated", she's yet to prove that at all in the past 23 years. What we need is someone who will continue RF's effective fiscal agenda/direction, without all of the embarrassing distractions and blunders. So far only Tory and Soknacki provide that, with the latter probably already being too far out of the race to have a shot, just like Rossi last time.
tim / March 12, 2014 at 11:13 am
timbo replying to a comment from tim / March 12, 2014 at 11:15 am
Bam Bam replying to a comment from Aaron / March 12, 2014 at 12:01 pm
Olivia is my MP and I am glad that she is running for mayor. This town needs to be cleaned up after Ford's mess and she is the one to do it. Olivia has my vote.

The only other half decent candidate on the slate so far is Socknacki.
O.Chow / March 12, 2014 at 12:06 pm
Soon my people and thank you for your support
I'm from Red Deer replying to a comment from Irwin Mimico / March 12, 2014 at 12:07 pm
(giggle!)

You are FUNNY, Irwin. :) Why do you sometimes post as Irwin, and other times as v79??? I'm confused.

prediction / March 12, 2014 at 12:12 pm
Rob Ford loses mayor vote

Randy Ford wins Etobicoke seat

Randy steps down, Rob takes over seat after new election. Once again we have to listen to Rob Ford's crap on council.

At least he won't be mayor.
I'm from Red Deer replying to a comment from Irwin Mimico / March 12, 2014 at 12:15 pm
Hey, here is a challenge for the brainier (brainiest?) among you. A lot of Ford Nation folks will often point out to non-Nation citizens how fiscally responsible Ford is (was?).

So, as a layperson and relative newcomer to the City, I'd like you to lay out in plain English what Ford accomplished for ME, the average citizen.

Take your time, but make it your best shot because knowing me, I'll have one or two follow-up questions if I don't understand everything.

I'd imagine people will be clamoring to answer this question, but setting aside his die-hard supporters -who some one here feel they support Ford blindly-- I'd prefer someone who actually follows City Hall closely and has an informed opinion about his three years in office.

I'm looking forward to this discussion because I think we can both learn something here.
Dave replying to a comment from John Labatt / March 12, 2014 at 12:21 pm
Wow! Way to get his started with a racial slur. Where's the Blog TO moderator?
Davy Gravy replying to a comment from Here Rob, says Olivia, handling him a wide, heavy box... / March 12, 2014 at 12:35 pm
Kick-ass comment!
Davy Gravy replying to a comment from v79 / March 12, 2014 at 01:01 pm
If you sincerely believe that Ford had an "effective fiscal agenda/direction," then it's obvious that you have no idea what you're talking about.

Ford is no more an effective financial manager than he is an etiquette expert, safe driver, ascetic teetotaler, and champion of diversity. Please wake up.
ban Davy gravy! / March 12, 2014 at 01:12 pm
Right now!
Davy Gravy replying to a comment from ban Davy gravy! / March 12, 2014 at 01:15 pm
Aw, ya poor wee thing.
Irwin Mimico's Ghost / March 12, 2014 at 02:36 pm
"Mark my words"...well, OK, but reluctantly: "Rob Ford is the only one who ever returned my calls."
Ahh,Ohhh, poor Little Constipated Irwin Mimico! Call Roblob and he will PERSONALLY give you an enema! Talk about yer personal service, y'all!
Jake replying to a comment from v79 / March 12, 2014 at 02:53 pm
You had me until, "RF's effective fiscal agenda/direction". WTF?
Shawn replying to a comment from Aaron / March 12, 2014 at 02:53 pm
Federal constituent here. I'm thrilled!
In a drunken stupor / March 12, 2014 at 03:29 pm
I say we decide who will be mayor the democratic way...a burger eating contest at Steak queen
John Labatt / March 12, 2014 at 03:38 pm
I like a happy ending too. May the best mayor come to office.
Andrew Barrington / March 12, 2014 at 03:48 pm
Does anyone actually put there name to these comments... You ppl are terrible.

John Tory is the most accomplished candidate outside of Politics but terrible Win-Loss record politically, Karen Stintz is the center Right underdog, Soknacki (if u are gonna mention a candidate pls have the decency to get the name right) is the Center Left underdog, Chow is a Leftie with city history but little accomplishment except getting elected, and Ford is a troubled personally flawed Righty with a track record (as a councillor & as Mayor PRIOR to the scandal) of getting things done based on what he said he would do. U may not agree with his policies but he did accomplish things before he got in the way of himself.

Now it comes down to who can do the job that the whole city needs, which is build subways consistently work with the province to develop a coordinated regional transit system and still create the environment that jobs can flourish in... Chow will work with council and province but will have issues with what she plans on building and she will likely create a negative business environment, Ford will work well w/ certain provincial parties if they come to power but not the current one he'll have a hell of a time working with the dwtn Clowns who can't stand him (who will likely get reelected just cause) he'll put forth building the proper network of subways and he will have a prime business environment; Tory, Stintz and Soknacki all are flexible (or wishy washy) enough that they can run on principle but will deviate to appease some interest group so it will be up to Voters to select which they like better

Should be interesting

Irwin M.M.W.* Mimico / March 12, 2014 at 04:29 pm
*Mark My Words...I am now offering for sale a new book, "Irwin Mimico's Marked Words". It is an annotated compilation of ALL of I.M.M.W.M.'s Blogto comments. There will be chapters on Irwin's constipation, his cement plant, a bio of Dale Goldhawk, Irwin's Mommy plus all comments about Irwin. A second volume is contemplated. Order now by posting here.
Gary Taylor / March 12, 2014 at 04:29 pm
I am an unabashed Rob Ford supporter.I donated time and money to his last campaign and I am doing so again. Olivia Chow would be every bit as polarizing a mayor as Rob Ford, but she would not have the intestinal fortitude to be candid about her views. More importantly, an Olivia Chow administration would quite rightly send a chill through the business community in this city as well as property tax payers. How long will Chow try to ride on the coattails of her late husband? Well, as long as it seems to work for her, that's how long. Her past is far from pristine and while the sycophants at 1 Yonge Street will fawn all over her, other members of the media will have plenty of skeletons to pull from closets. 4 years of socialist, politically correct, anti-car, gay pride garbage is too horrible to contemplate. Unfortunately, while Stintz will get out of the mayoral race in time to run for reelection to council, Tory and Soknacki have no seats at risk; their motivation for dropping out may have to be financial and will depend greatly upon how people perceive their chances of winning. Ford has to try and strike early to quell any increase in support for Tory or Soknacki and hope that by election day there are essentially two choices for voters.
Gary Taylor replying to a comment from Tony the Tiger / March 12, 2014 at 04:32 pm
I agree.
Gary Taylor replying to a comment from Bocanut / March 12, 2014 at 04:35 pm
Nicely done.
Gary Taylor replying to a comment from Yep / March 12, 2014 at 04:40 pm
Good, because you won't be disappointed.
Gary Taylor replying to a comment from Here Rob, says Olivia, handling him a wide, heavy box... / March 12, 2014 at 04:43 pm
Maybe there's a Lee Harvey Oswald waiting for Ching Chang Chow and the other sycophants like yourself. :)
Cedric replying to a comment from Cedric? / March 12, 2014 at 08:01 pm
"Chow’s campaign will emphasize her personal story, which she told in a bestselling autobiography that has kept her in the public eye during her extended pre-campaign."
HA HA HA.

CedricThe12"Rod replying to a comment from Cedric? / March 12, 2014 at 08:02 pm
Also she sent a staffer to register for her, she didn't even register herself!!!
CedricThe12"Rod replying to a comment from Cedric? / March 12, 2014 at 08:04 pm
CHOW DON'T SPEND MY TAX DOLLARS ON YOUR BULLSHIT!!!!

Olivia Chow upsets rivals after sending out taxpayer-funded flyers
CedricThe12"Rod / March 12, 2014 at 08:10 pm
First she said she was going to register tomorrow, then she sends her campaign CFO/staffer to register for her. Already breaking promises, she said Thursday, then the registration happens on Wednesday by a staffer no photo op. KEEP YOUR GOD DAMN WORD!!!

CedricThe12"Rod / March 12, 2014 at 08:20 pm
Who's a celeb? Rob Ford? Jimmy Kimmel?

Olivia Chow on the Red Carpet
Deborah / March 12, 2014 at 09:16 pm
We're all tired of the fighting, the name calling, the mud slinging between candidates at all levels of government. Its already happening from Tory supporters, Chow supporters, Sagonacki, Ford. ENough.

We want a clean campaign full of ideas and vision. Candidates leave the mud slinging to the media and keep it clean and explain your vision for our city.

Cedric please stop with the insanity.
MELISSA KNOWS NOTHING replying to a comment from Melissa / March 13, 2014 at 12:29 am
Our city isn't in debt, and we have a surplus last time I checked. Anything else you'll be getting wrong, lady?
Gee replying to a comment from MELISSA KNOWS NOTHING / March 13, 2014 at 06:49 am
Toronto has debt. the operating budget for 2013 paid $215 million in interest on debt charges. The "surplus" you speak of is in the operating budget, which is the difference between annual revenue and expenses. What you meant to say is that Toronto doesn't have a operating budget deficit, we aren't spending more than we take in each year. Toronto, like all cities, has lots of debt, it borrows money for capital projects. See both the capital budget and the operating budget to understand the difference
Rob Ford / March 13, 2014 at 01:33 pm
The kids used to call me the blob cuz I was a dummy.
NativeTorontonianAl / March 13, 2014 at 01:54 pm
It doesn't matter. She's same old-same old status quo. There are those that even say that the reason there's a big boost for female politicians and leaders (worldwide) is that they are just there to be a piece of cardboard cutout and are easy to manipulate while the real strings are being pulled behind her and the curtain. Also, nothing will matter if the corporations and big business continue to be the ones really in charge and deciding. This has been Toronto (and Canada's) situation for some time now, and many say it's not really those politicians making the call.
CHOW'N NATION / March 13, 2014 at 05:20 pm
Olivia is going to win because she's has a PROVEN TRACK RECORD with the TAXPAYERS. She's going to STOP the GRAVY TRAIN at City Hall. LRTs! LRTs! LRTs!
Judy replying to a comment from MELISSA KNOWS NOTHING / March 13, 2014 at 05:39 pm
Ummm there is debt and even if there wasn't that does not mean a spend spend spend politician should blow all surplus until its gone. Maybe that's how you run your household budget, but I don't want my money or tax dollars spent like that.
Perry Como / March 14, 2014 at 09:42 am
The only record chow has is that she's always lived off of the goverment. She's never worked an honest day in her life
Perry's Homo replying to a comment from Perry Como / March 14, 2014 at 02:09 pm
If by lived off the government you mean she LOWERED TAXES and GOT A SUBWAY BUILT by using CONSENSUS-BUILIDING instead of BULLYING, then yes, Olivia Chow DID work a lot of honest days in her life.

Unlike (born with a silver spoon) Bob and Doug.
Mav's mal (a la tete!) replying to a comment from Mavrick6868 / March 15, 2014 at 11:40 am
...and got it all wrong. Rob was the one addicted to revenues. And look where it got us. This is one gravy train I'm glad is coming to a close. See ya, Blob Fudd!
Michael Smith replying to a comment from Gary Taylor / March 18, 2014 at 03:29 pm
Why on earth would you support that buffoon Rob Ford when you could support a capable and intelligent Conservative, John Tory?
Michael Smith replying to a comment from CHOW'N NATION / March 18, 2014 at 03:31 pm
LRTs are garbage. I don't want to ride on streetcars. I want to ride on subways. And so do you. Do you really want to stand around waiting for a streetcar when it's -17, only to have it arrive too full to let you on, so you have to wait another ten minutes in the frigid weather? Or go underground where it's warm and wait 2 minutes for a train to whisk you where you're going. You clearly do not live in the actual city of Toronto to make such a moronic comment. I don't support Rob Ford. I want to support Olivia Chow, but her opposition to building the DRL is a huge problem.
Michael Smith replying to a comment from gary / March 18, 2014 at 03:31 pm
Why not John Tory?
fhqwhgds / April 9, 2014 at 06:44 pm
I hope she wins, I want to see you all start to squirm when she bankrupts your wretched city in less than a year.
Ford Nation: The Neader-entralled??! replying to a comment from fhqwhgds / April 9, 2014 at 07:18 pm
What like Ford? came in with a record surplus, now we're almost at Lastman-scale debt loads. Spend spend spend! out one side of his mouth Ford protects the pennies, out the other he literally wastes all the money we have. I mean Monorails??

MONORAILS?!?!?!!?!

Clearly we're dealing with Chief Wiggum II here.

Look, it's simple. Politicians shouldn't blow all surplus until its gone. Maybe that's how you run your finances, but I don't want my money or tax dollars spent like that.

If you are conservative, and watch your money, and want someone who actually knows how to work WITHIN a budget...your ONLY choice is Tory. Maybe Solnacki. Stintz a distant third. If you are liberal, it's Chow (duh), but Solnacki a close 2nd.

THAT'S IT. Those are your only choices.

Otherwise, you pick the liar, rich-brat convicted drunk, drug-abusing wife-beater. And if you think that last line is over the line? Use Google and see for yourselves.

Enjoy the party on April 17th...and all the other vote-buying exercises he throws over the next 7 months. Because come October, the man is out of a job, and you mnight as well have gotten SOMETHING out of his term, right?
Lourdes / May 15, 2014 at 01:14 pm
Excellent post. I will be going through some of these issues as well..