Thursday, September 18, 2014Partly Cloudy 11°C

Enterprise buys Toronto-based AutoShare

Posted by Chris Bateman / March 26, 2014

Enterprise AutoshareBig changes could be in store for car sharing Torontonians. Enterprise Rent-A-Car announced earlier today it's buying AutoShare, Toronto's first car-sharing organization.

"AutoShare will continue to operate under its current brand indefinitely," Enterprise said in a press release. "[It] will be owned by Enterprise Rent-A-Car Canada Company and managed by its local Toronto division." It later said that AutoShare would be "served" by the company's own Enterprise CarShare brand, though it's not clear what that means at this stage.

Enterprise also owns Alamo and National Car Rental. It has 130 Enterprise offices in the GTA.

Zipcar was bought by Avis last year for $500 million. CEO Scott Griffith resigned shortly after that deal was finalized.

The details of the AutoShare purchase haven't been made public.

Chris Bateman is a staff writer at blogTO. Follow him on Twitter at @chrisbateman.

JB / March 26, 2014 at 07:06 pm
Really love AutoShare - I hope this doesn't change it.
I know Enterprise! / March 26, 2014 at 07:34 pm
They are lowest of the low. They have tried for years to stick their customers with insurance claims WITHOUT TELLING THEM!!
Gl / March 26, 2014 at 07:42 pm
Will they continue to pick people up?
Peter / March 26, 2014 at 07:43 pm
Not all that surprising, since Enterprise uses the same reservation software as Autoshare and has bought up a few of the other CSOs that also run on that platform (PhillyCarShare, I-GO, Mint, etc).

Kind of sad to see the smaller guys get sucked into the bigger entity, but it makes sense.
Kevin Hart @ Real Husbands Of Hollywood / March 26, 2014 at 07:51 pm
Shut up JB!
Jason / March 26, 2014 at 07:55 pm
I use AutoShare all the time, hope it doesn't change for the worse
Ed Nixon / March 26, 2014 at 08:05 pm
I wonder what they have done with the substantial deposit I left with them many years ago, when they were just a lowly start up, acting like a non-profit?
Dani / March 26, 2014 at 08:52 pm
Autoshare managers were always self-righteous, vegan hippie, left-wing quacks always saying that they were against the big man, the corporation, so it's funny that this is what happened.

Autoshare was uniquely Canadian, which is why lots of people used the service - it was different than Zipcar, and offered a Canadian edge that made people feel like they were giving something back to the community. Will it change the way people use the system, or even the company? Sounds like they weren't making enough to be sustainable, or Kevin just got greedy.

tt replying to a comment from Dani / March 26, 2014 at 09:42 pm
Amen to that.

I'm an AutoShare member and I'm loving the service as it is. I really hope they aren't going to screw it up. Already bumped our liability coverage down.
Colette / March 27, 2014 at 12:23 pm
Yes, they are going to screw it up. You would know this to be a fact if you've ever had to deal with Enterprise's customer service. I vowed never to use Enterprise again, which is why I'll now have to switch to Zipcar.
I know Enterprise! / March 29, 2014 at 09:34 am
Search 'Enterprise' and 'new York' or 'Minnesota' "coury", "Spitzer" "page" if you want to know specifics. Page was a judge in the Minnesota case. Enterprise tried the same junk in Ontario, but no Canadian would do it - as far as I know.
I know Enterprise! / March 29, 2014 at 09:36 am
That's "court" and "Canadian company". To be safe, never rent from Entetprise unless you have your own car insurance.