Saturday, April 19, 2014Partly Cloudy 2°C

10 photos of the deep freeze in Toronto

Posted by Derek Flack / January 7, 2014

Deep freeze cold TorontoThis is about as cold as it gets in Toronto, with morning temperatures so brutal that Pearson International had to put arrival restrictions on planes due to the deep freeze. Those were lifted just after 10:00 a.m., but the thermostat is still hanging at around -18C with a windchill factor of -33C. Ouch. While today is the worst of it so far, it's been frigid enough over the last little while that local photographers have been able to capture the cold on camera, be it in the form of frozen Lake Ontario, steam rising from sewer grates, or ominous looking clouds hovering above the harbour. It's all rather stunning to look at -- and then you remember your feet are cold and you get angry. Oh well.

Check out what Toronto looks like in the midst of a deep freeze in this photo gallery.

iSkyscraper / January 7, 2014 at 12:36 pm
Those are really outstanding photos. Congratulations to the photographers.

Never mind calling in the Army, looks like the Coast Guard will be needed if that lake ice gets any thicker. Wow.
E. Toby Coke / January 7, 2014 at 12:44 pm
Great photos, though I must point out that in "Sunrise and frozen Lake Ontario" the lake is not frozen (and that's where all that fog is coming from).

When the Great Lakes DO freeze (I think the last time they all did was in 2003), they just become one big windswept plain -- and we effectively become Brandon Manitoba.
AV / January 7, 2014 at 01:05 pm
Derek "can't take the" Flack... why won't you just answer why it is the Morning Brew no longer exists, instead of deleting posts that pose you the question?

C'mon, what're you hiding from Derek my boy?
Paul "Barry" Karn / January 7, 2014 at 02:08 pm
I was so drunk I pissed my bed!
Derek replying to a comment from AV / January 7, 2014 at 02:13 pm
So accusatory, AV. And here I thought we had turned the corner. As for the MB, it's currently on hiatus until mid January as its author is away and we're taking the time to evaluate if we think it's the best way to cover the news in the morning. It might come back in its previous form, it might come back in some tweaked fashion, or it might go away altogether — but none of those decisions have been made at this point.

I haven't been deleting/moderating comments about this matter, as there's nothing secret about it. Anyone can shoot me a note at editors@blogto.com or tweet at us for questions of this nature. If a moderator has removed comments related to this, it would likely be because it was deemed off topic for the post at hand.
Peter / January 7, 2014 at 08:23 pm
AWESOME NEWS!!! Always liked the morning brew. Provides value and news content to the site and keeps it engaging. More than just burger, pizza, and cafe reviews. I do like to hear about new openings and weekend events but really like the news headlines as well. Provides a good balance of content.
Roger / January 7, 2014 at 08:40 pm
aka "frigid twister"
McRib replying to a comment from AV / January 7, 2014 at 09:01 pm
its a huge conspiracy.

We're all counting on you to crack the case, AV.
Simon Tarses replying to a comment from McRib / January 7, 2014 at 10:10 pm
AV couldn't crack an egg if he/she/it dropped it.
Simon Tarses replying to a comment from AV / January 7, 2014 at 10:11 pm
Silly bugger, BlogTO always deletes comments that don't go the way they like/want.
Vanessa / January 8, 2014 at 09:47 am
Iced T.O. Is a gorgeous photo. Any chance the photographer would allow prints? Thx
Pearl / January 8, 2014 at 11:38 am
Thank you for featuring my photo. I love all the photos featured here. Great job to everyone!
Zen replying to a comment from Vanessa / January 11, 2014 at 09:12 pm
Hey Vanessa,

I would be happy to make a print for you.