Friday, April 18, 2014Mostly Cloudy 10°C

Rob Ford dazzles with advice on giving gifts to women

Posted by Derek Flack / December 19, 2013

Rob Ford WifeThe ever quotable Rob Ford offered up another wonderful soundbite for our delectation this morning during an appearance on the Washington-based sports radio show The Sports Junkies. When asked what he'll be getting his wife Renata for the holidays, the Mayor replied with some sage advice for gift givers out there. "Probably just money," he said. "Women love money... You give 'em a couple thousand bucks and they're happy."

Where to begin? While I realize that this is just Ford doing the Joe average thing, and that he means no offence, it's still amazing to witness someone who seemingly lacks any ability to censor himself for the sake of decency and good taste. No, this isn't about fellatio or misplaced remarks about women and politics, but it's still way off the mark in its determination to group women together under one cash-loving heading. Oh, and for the record, cash isn't just a shitty gift, it's a non-gift.

What do you think? Are these remarks offensive or just the chatter of a uniformed man? Both?

Meh / December 19, 2013 at 12:37 pm
What do I think? Stop beating a dead horse. It's getting old.
Joanna / December 19, 2013 at 12:40 pm
Offensive, and he's implying his wife is a "working girl". But if I was his wife, I'd want the money too.
Bob But Not Doug / December 19, 2013 at 12:43 pm
I think this is a rare instance of Rob Ford stating what he truly believes to be the truth. In his mind, women love money, so you can make them happy just by giving it to them. That's what good husbands do.
Cheryl / December 19, 2013 at 12:45 pm
Hell has frozen over. I am finally in agreement with something Rob Ford says. Santa I will take "a couple thousand bucks" and be thrilled to hit all those boxing day sales.
Matt / December 19, 2013 at 12:46 pm
Derek - you mean cunnilingus, not fellatio. If you've had any relationship troubles in the past, this may be a revelatory moment for you.
Brian / December 19, 2013 at 12:49 pm
WOMEN LOVE MONEY
its the truth
jen / December 19, 2013 at 12:49 pm
It's offensive. He's lumping all women-folk into one shallow, money-grubbing unit, for one thing, and he's also showing how completely thoughtless he is as a husband. I take the time to think up a great gift to give to my partner, and he does the same back. It's lovely. It doesn't have to be worth thousands of dollars, it just has to be something thoughtful.

Does he throw money at his kids, too?
Tammy / December 19, 2013 at 12:53 pm
Rob Ford - the gift that keeps on giving.
He really knows how to put his foot in his mouth.
ha!
Taelor / December 19, 2013 at 12:54 pm
I'm fairly certain men love money just as much as women. Hence, the entire existence of society as it stands currently.

:P
local replying to a comment from Taelor / December 19, 2013 at 12:58 pm
Well done.
Cheryl / December 19, 2013 at 01:00 pm
For once could Rob Ford not be implying that women are smart? Why would you buy someone something that you know has the potential to go on sale the following week? It's an investment to gift cash at Christmas.
Aaron / December 19, 2013 at 01:00 pm
A gift is a thing. Cash can be used for multiple things.
Bob / December 19, 2013 at 01:01 pm
Cash is the BEST gift! Keep your shitty scarves & sweaters!
Al replying to a comment from The Chimp / December 19, 2013 at 01:06 pm
You do realize that Burroughs shot and killed his wife, right? Not the best person to quote about women.
Jay / December 19, 2013 at 01:06 pm
Just for clarification, he was talking about going down on women, so the topic was cunnilingus not fellatio.
Chacker / December 19, 2013 at 01:10 pm
You're not really Joe Average if you can give your wife or anyone a few thousand bucks for a Christmas gift.
John / December 19, 2013 at 01:14 pm
Must be a slow day at BlogTO
nj / December 19, 2013 at 01:18 pm
YES while I would love for Rob Ford to give me thousands of dollars for Christmas, I would be pretty disappointed if my husband did that for me. Yeah money is nice but I TRULY would prefer to get something he invested time into. Even if it cost him a trip to the junk yard and an afternoon in the garage. I think a lot of women would feel the same. Especially mothers. Give us a day where you take care fo everything and I can sit around and eat chips in front of the tv with the dog, we are TOTALLY DOWN.
WL / December 19, 2013 at 01:22 pm
Did anyone else notice how the first comment on every single Rob Ford related post is a pro Rob Ford comment? Seems a little suspicious.
v79 / December 19, 2013 at 01:36 pm
It looks like BlogTO and Jimmy Kimmel are the only ones still unaware that harping on Rob Ford is so last month. Seriously, it's getting old, and this "story" is hardly news/blog worthy. If you're still trying to get hits by writing about his every word, you're more pathetic than he is.
Steve / December 19, 2013 at 01:36 pm
We'll never mind your obvious jockeying for brownie points from the feminist sector, with your undertones of being an emotionally 'aware' male and therefore beyond cash giving for Xmas or the stench of middle class superiority surrounding your 'joe' remarks and the inherent classism contained therein . This is typical Robbie ford being Robbie gord and there's nothing shocking here.. I think it's safe to say even the more aggressive elements of torontonian feminist circles won't even bother themselves with it, so I suggest you get your arse outta the air, pillaging unnecessary.
Aside from the source of the remark, I don't think cash is necessarily a terrible gift. I know of many men AND women who could use the money to pay the rent or cover commuting costs and would be far more appreciative than of the help than say being taken to some over priced pretensious restaurant, reviving a bottle of perfume/cologne never to be worn or the entire collection of the writings of Jane Austin.
Doug not Ford replying to a comment from Meh / December 19, 2013 at 01:40 pm
Much like Rob Ford's Mayoralty? It died long ago and should be buried, but like a zombie he keeps coming back but instead of eating our brains he just continues to occupy them. I wish Rob Ford would just go back to being Tommy Boy at Deco Labels. He'd harm far fewer people there.
P / December 19, 2013 at 01:52 pm
The reason why cash for a wife doesn't make sense is his wife can withdraw it if she wants!
NotThatDave / December 19, 2013 at 01:55 pm
Cash is for hookers, gifts are for wives/girlfriends.
Leeeah / December 19, 2013 at 01:55 pm
Women will be happy with a couple thousand, but drug dealers scoff at $5 thousand and a car!
iSkyscraper / December 19, 2013 at 02:41 pm
I was at a press conference in NYC the other day where Michael Bloomberg spoke and length and took many questions from the press, some of them just chatter and personal in nature. Rather than speak from the gutter, as Ford does, he gave heartfelt, detailed answers to everything in the manner while still being self-deprecating and charming. Jokes about wives were in there too, but nothing classless like what Ford said. He also deftly took the odd reporter down a notch when required, with facts and a sharp tongue rather than whining and lies. (Oh, and because he answers questions, reporters can simply ask them from seats rather than be forced to camp outside offices or chase after him in parking lots.)

It was a stunning contrast to having a fratboy dolt as municipal leader.
Gabe / December 19, 2013 at 02:46 pm
Rob was speaking for himself and his thoughts this is NOT his ad vice. Once again, a misleading headline.
Tiny Coconut / December 19, 2013 at 03:02 pm
ummmm i'd love to get a couple G's for xmas - how is that a bad gift?
Sam / December 19, 2013 at 03:44 pm
My wife says. My money is my money, your money is my money. If you have been married for a while cash is king. But knowing Rob, somebody is going to sue him for saying that.
Brian replying to a comment from jen / December 19, 2013 at 03:58 pm
you want Rob Ford's lump
jen replying to a comment from Brian / December 19, 2013 at 04:08 pm
I doubt he has one.
Bill Ferencz / December 19, 2013 at 05:19 pm
May I point out that felatio is a female performing oral sex on a man and not the other way around?
It would be the nice to get that right, since you are so eager to reference it.
Holy Thundering Jesus / December 19, 2013 at 06:37 pm
who give a rats ass what he says
Me / December 19, 2013 at 07:51 pm
Derek is really getting desperate. So Derek, when Ford is no longer news, are you going to stop "writing"?
Sam / December 19, 2013 at 10:58 pm
Is there anyone on here that wouldn't like a couple thousand dollar bonus this year? I know I would like one. But what can you do? The mans got Balls. GO FORD!
C. Sarquis / December 19, 2013 at 11:50 pm
To begin, no surprise here, seeing who the comment has been made by. 2nd point, "Women love money," Yeah, really... like men do not!??!! Please... More brain cells need to be at work here, don't you think?
Clara Bot E. / December 20, 2013 at 02:33 am
Ah, fuck, who gives a shit? I've got two pizzas for less than $20 everything else can go fuck itself.
Clara Bot E. / December 20, 2013 at 02:36 am
Mike Kunnt / December 20, 2013 at 03:00 am
Derek teach me things, U can never top smoking crack so just forget about this crap
stephanie / December 20, 2013 at 10:59 am
Derek Flack - Who are you to decide what women love or what a shitty gift is? I think most people would LOVE a cople thousand bucks right about now. We'll get you the dollar store special and I will take the g-notes that you seem to think are so shitty!!
Alana / December 21, 2013 at 04:53 pm
I like money.
Renata / December 21, 2013 at 07:17 pm
She sure do! But Rob eats at home!
Bill / December 26, 2013 at 02:51 pm
I gave my hoe money. Later I banged her.