Monday, December 22, 2014Partly Cloudy 0°C

New in Toronto Real Estate: Post House Condos

Posted by Sarah Ratchford / April 4, 2013

Post House Condos TorontoThe Post House is the friendliest-sounding condo project I've encountered in some time. Located just north of the St. Lawrence Market near George Brown College, an almost automatic sense of community and a never-ending supply of fresh produce are immediate draws to this development. The St. Lawrence neighbourhood is one of the city's most colourful, with tourists, finance types, and other city folk of all stripes intermingling. It's also got a ton of history and nice looking LCBO (crucial). Here's what to expect from Post House.

Post House Condos TorontoSPECS

Address: 105 George St.
Floors: 21
Total number of units: 278
Elevators: Yes
Types of units: One bedroom, one bedroom plus den, two bedroom, penthouse
Unit sizes (in square feet): 481 to 1155
Ceiling heights: 9'0" to 10'6"
Prices from (available units): from the mid $200,000s
Maintenance fees: $0.49
Developer: Alterra
Amenities/building features: Fitness room, on-site car share program, men's and women's saunas, yoga room, games room, BBQ area, party room, concierge

Post House CondosTHE GOOD

Post House boasts a number of utterly cute pluses. The units have balconies with lovely views, and generally up-to-snuff amenities. The property also has an on-site car sharing jam for added convenience.

Then there's the neighbourhood itself. There's not a lot that can be argued with when it comes to the St. Lawrence area. The neighbourhood has decent food options, lots of mixed-use buildings, some serious density, and convenience. There's also a bevy of pubs and legitimately nice (if sometimes touristy) restaurants — and that's not to mention the actual market, which remains one of the nicest places in the city to shop and eat.

201343-post house lobby.jpgTHE BAD

The bad. Well, let's just say this property tends to tout relatively run-of-the-mill design as some sort of revolutionary development. It claims to be a "new urban habitat," but doesn't quite make the cut, as there's little to nothing new about it. Don't get me wrong, these condos aren't terrible — it's just that at this price point, I would hope that the bathrooms were at least "trendy."

Speaking of bathrooms, there are situations in which washrooms are window-free. This can be a common hazard in the condo world, but it's certainly worth noting. The kitchens also tend to be on the tiny side, which is bound to be frustrating given all the food shopping you're going to be doing. And, last but certainly not least, you may have to boot a few tourists out of your way from time to time.

OUR TAKE

While this is not a crummy place to live by anyone's standards, it's not the pinnacle of luxury, either. You're basically getting a pretty basic condo, but in a good location. Whether you want to live here will likely depend on what you value more: neighbourhood or design.

Read other posts in this series via our Toronto Condos and Lofts Pinterest board

Jonny Bee replying to a comment from Rick / April 4, 2013 at 10:44 am
Thank you Rob - your comment actually made me spontaneously chuckle (not lol). Kudos to you.
Big Fuckin Mega Boat / April 4, 2013 at 10:59 am
Just for my own curiosity, what constitutes "new" real estate...pretty sure a buddy of mine bought a unit here a couple of years ago...
JEC / April 4, 2013 at 11:02 am
Great building great price thanks blogto.
MilaCam / April 4, 2013 at 01:07 pm
Can't wait to see the utility bills on this energy pig.
duv replying to a comment from Big Fuckin Mega Boat / April 4, 2013 at 03:10 pm
it's not built yet BFMB
BM / April 4, 2013 at 03:20 pm
Beware of the Autoshare program. What they don't tell you is that this will add to your condo fees if it is housed in your private parking garage.
Sarah142 / April 4, 2013 at 05:33 pm
It's a nice enough building, however you have about 4-5 homeless men's shelters/detox centres on that block alone. People need to get help somewhere, I get that, but, at the risk of sounding like a total NIMBY, I've been on George - it's a little dicey after dark (from a downtown Toronto dweller).
LP replying to a comment from Sarah142 / April 4, 2013 at 08:37 pm
Ha! That's the beauty of Corktown! George St. isn't bad, I'm at Queen and Sherbourne....and I love it. Let's have more mixed income neighbourhoods... I'm never threatened. Let's support residents and local businesses.
cwg / April 4, 2013 at 09:15 pm
I'm sorry, but what exactly was the point regarding a window-free washroom? Since when is ANY condo unit designed WITH a window??? A "common hazard". Huh??? I'm utterly baffled by this statement.
steve replying to a comment from cwg / April 5, 2013 at 08:10 am
I also was a confused about that comment. I have yet to see a window in a bathroom in any highrise building new or old. I have seen on occasion windows in bathrooms in very old low rise buildings.(pre/post war)Hotels rarely have windows in the bathrooms.
Alex / April 5, 2013 at 11:59 am
481 sqsft is not a one bedroom, it's a bachelor pretending to be a one bedroom. I guess they didn't release the floor plans, because there is no way they are very good if they're trying to pass off 481 sq.ft as a one bedroom. Plus I didn't realize highrise washrooms ever had windows. I'd be more concerned if a bedroom didn't have a window.

Since most condos are designed for single people living alone, proximity to fresh produce is not actually a bonus. It is incredibly hard to use up produce before it goes bad when you are living alone. I'm not talking about a bag of tomatoes, but a single head of lettuce is pretty hard unless you have salad for dinner every night.
Big Fuckin Mega Boat replying to a comment from duv / April 5, 2013 at 01:51 pm
Yes, but they've been available for purchase since 2011. So it's not newly announced, nor newly completed, hence my confusion to what constitutes "new".
K / April 6, 2013 at 05:26 pm
I'm really curious about the window-free bathroom hazard. Does anyone have any theories? Can the writer please elaborate?