Friday, October 31, 2014Light Rain 7°C

Pretty pictures of the Toronto slush storm

Posted by Derek Flack / February 27, 2013

snow slush TorontoToday's the kind of day that reminds me of David Hasselhoff eating a cheeseburger — it's a mess. While it won't go down as much of a storm (about 11cm of snow was recorded at Pearson as of noon today) the fact that slush was falling from the sky throughout most of the morning was kind of weird and, quite frankly, uncomfortable. It's probably best not to discuss what the sidewalks and streets look like (Hasselhoff again).

Sure, it's just winter weather. And sure, anonymous commenters to come, it's not really a big deal. But I like pictures. I like pictures of slush. I like pictures of snow. And I even like knowing that some sweatpant-clad dude in his basement apartment gets angry because I post such pictures on the internet. So more No-Name brand potato chips for him! And pretty photos for the rest of us!

To add your pics to the collection, follow blogTO on Instagram or join our Flickr pool and tag them #snowTO or #slushTO. Stay dry if you can!

Lead photo by Ben Roffelsen.

snow slush TorontoPhoto by ashtonpal

From Flickr...

toronto snow slushBen Roffelsen

toronto snow slushzv15

toronto snow slushjazzman37

toronto snow slushJamaalism

lol / February 27, 2013 at 01:09 pm
maybe next time you guys could choose some actual good photos?
Sara replying to a comment from lol / February 27, 2013 at 01:12 pm
Right on cue!
Alexander replying to a comment from Sara / February 27, 2013 at 01:44 pm
They are pretty mediocre photos...
Jamie / February 27, 2013 at 01:47 pm
So I assume lol and Alexander both submitted photos for this article? And they were probably just too good to use, right?

Is that what you tell yourselves?

Internet critics are so incredibly lame. If you think they suck, show us something better.
Shane / February 27, 2013 at 01:52 pm
These are fantastic guys. Keep up the great work.! I really enjoyed them.
Aisha from Expatlogue / February 27, 2013 at 02:13 pm
Ahhh ignore them! They probably can't afford therapy. I enjoyed the photos - I could lose myself in someone else's perception for hours at a time and I'm glad these guys take the time to share their stuff with us and show us a side to TO we might not otherwise see.
Charles / February 27, 2013 at 02:17 pm
What a beautiful city we live in - I really mean it. Thank you for the great pics.
capital D / February 27, 2013 at 02:31 pm
hey Derek, I don't like these photos either... and I'm wearing jeans in my loft, drinking a Fiji water for your information. No chips, but when I do I can assure you they are of the artisanal, kettle cooked, brand name variety.
lockie / February 27, 2013 at 03:04 pm
I quite like most of the photos...but I was hoping to see more (hat tip to arronrinas and tirob!) that captured the somewhat unique way the slush piled up, unlike your average snow storm.
lol gargles it replying to a comment from lol / February 27, 2013 at 03:32 pm
lol and Alexander...put up ANY photo for critique, or shut up.

losers.
4ChanApologist / February 27, 2013 at 03:35 pm
500px.com this ain't, but I guess real photographers wouldn't want their work being called "pretty pictures" anyway.

Kudos to at least some of the cell-phone-camera, instagram-filter crowd for putting away facebook long enough to be creative, I guess.
Michelle / February 27, 2013 at 03:46 pm
Anyone in any kind of pants, or maybe no pants at all, cannot deny that these are great photos. I for one will be relieved when the trend of being critical of everything dies.
Torontonian replying to a comment from 4ChanApologist / February 27, 2013 at 03:47 pm
I HATE EVERYTHING. I CAN DO EVERYTHING BETTER. I'M ALWAYS RIGHT. WHY IS BLOGTO WASTING MY TAX DOLLARS?
4ChanApologist replying to a comment from Jamie / February 27, 2013 at 03:49 pm
I agree fully.

I mean, just because someone is posting their content in the public space doesn't mean the public has any right to, y'know, comment on it. In fact, I say we go a step further: nobody should be allowed to comment on anyone, ever, at any time unless you're already doing their job better than they are.

Photographers, politicians, criminals... because unless you're willing to go to the effort of doing it yourself, you clearly have no right to have any opinion on the subject!
Rob replying to a comment from Michelle / February 27, 2013 at 04:03 pm
Having opinions is a trend now?
Put up or shut up replying to a comment from lol / February 27, 2013 at 04:04 pm
Would someone please provide Ansel Adams with a link to the blotTO Flickr pool?
Really? / February 27, 2013 at 04:27 pm
Why can't we all just enjoy these pictures for what they are.
They aren't professional shots. They're snap shots and insights into what's going on in our awesome city! I'm not saying people aren't entitled to their opinion but everyone's always so quick to criticize. Come on people!
Chris replying to a comment from 4ChanApologist / February 27, 2013 at 05:37 pm
You clearly don't appreciate the difference between having the right or ability to criticize (which is courtesy of our constitution), versus feeling the need to. Just because you CAN do something, doesn't mean you have to.

This article is totally benign - there's no polital angle, or anything. Simply photos. Why you and others feel the need to crap on it is beyond me, but, at the end of the day, it is of course, your right to do so. I hope it makes you feel better to unnecessarily poop on the work of others.

Erin / February 27, 2013 at 05:49 pm
Yeah, it looks cool in photos, but it's really the shits for anyone wanting to go outside. For any reason.
stopitman replying to a comment from Chris / February 27, 2013 at 08:25 pm
Probably because people get sick of "good photos" somehow meaning photos with a generic filter applied to them rather than the content of their picture. I don't have a problem with a good picture that has a filter applied to it, but taking a picture of anything and applying a filter to make it look like it was taken with the camera I had when I was 6 doesn't make it good. THat's not to say that all of the pictures that were posted were bad, but this ridiculous craze of filter=pretty/good has got to end.

And before anyone says I should post something before criticising, I've had pictures posted several times as pictures of the day here.
Leaf Fan 67 / February 27, 2013 at 10:02 pm
Good photos, Bad article! This guy is the worst writer on BTO.
stopitman replying to a comment from Leaf Fan 67 / February 27, 2013 at 10:44 pm
lol, I think Derek is the editor of BlogTO (correct me if I'm wrong).
Derek replying to a comment from stopitman / February 27, 2013 at 10:54 pm
You are correct — and I will most certainly cry myself to sleep tonight.
James / February 28, 2013 at 12:50 am
Derek could always take the high road and ignore the juvenile comments directed to him but instead he always replies with some snide remark, or in this case in his article before anyone even has a chance to comment. This makes him a dick.
notbelvedere replying to a comment from James / February 28, 2013 at 02:42 am
Megadick.
Robert / February 28, 2013 at 10:20 am
Nothing like deer in the snow!
4ChanApologist gargles it replying to a comment from 4ChanApologist / February 28, 2013 at 04:00 pm
My, you are so witty.
Okay Szabrodski / March 4, 2013 at 03:15 am
There were only 27 entries; blogTO posted 12 of them. Your chances of "making it" were high.