Sunday, April 20, 2014Clear 4°C

House of the Week: 5 Ava Road

Posted by Robyn Urback / February 26, 2013

5 ava road torontoA Tudor-style house in South Forest Hill, 5 Ava Road is an old oak shell with plenty of shiny new features. Now, this place surely won't appeal to those who laud stark, sterile, and clear glass accents, but it does demonstrate how classic design can be made contemporary. Alright, that's a lie — it's all about the chalkboard kitchen wall. That's worth $2.7 million, right?

toronto house ava roadSPECS:

Address: 5 Ava Road
Price: $2,695,000
Lot size: 60x120
Storeys: 3
Bedrooms: 5
Bathrooms: 5
Parking spaces: 4
Fireplaces: 3
Taxes: $15,123
Exterior: Brick/stone

5 ava road torontoNOTABLE FEATURES:

• Solid oak doors, paneling, and original flooring
  • Leaded glass pane windows
  • Two-storey breakfast room with three skylights
  • Wall-to-wall French doors
  • Marble kitchen floors
  • Stainless steel appliances and marble centre island
  • Wine cellar
  • Full pantry
  • Built-in bookshelves, crown moulding, and walk-in closets

5 ava road torontoGOOD FOR:

Oak-enthusiasts, Tudor-enthusiasts, or those who love to write on the wall. Good for reenacting Harry Potter scenes by that cubby under the staircase, and parking multiple vehicles. Good for those who don't trust new builds.

5 ava road torontoMOVE ON IF:

You like open-concept, abundant steel, or shine. Move on if you need a six-burner range, not a four-burner, and you want double-sided fireplaces, not passé singles. Move on if radiator heat is a deal breaker.

Additional photos:5 ava road toronto5 ava road torontotoronto house ava road
toronto house ava road5 ava road toronto5 ava road torontoIf you had the dough, would you buy this home? Let us know where you stand in the comments below.

Claire Dawson / February 26, 2013 at 09:12 am
Totally would buy! Features like that in a light and airy space don't come along that often. Love the walk down to sitting area from kitchen - and the wood beams on the ceiling.
Rick / February 26, 2013 at 10:01 am
Yes, I would definitely buy this place. The look is outstanding and has a real charm to it. Would definitely have a drunken cock drawing contest in the kitchen which would be good for a few laughs.
Jones / February 26, 2013 at 10:11 am
Nope. Not for 2.7M
Taylor / February 26, 2013 at 10:16 am
Its actually a steal at $2.7M.
James replying to a comment from Taylor / February 26, 2013 at 10:22 am
Yep, although Ms. Urback feels the need to sarcastically shit on everything she writes about for some reason, in Toronto's market this is actually reasonably priced...
RS / February 26, 2013 at 10:32 am
I would totally buy this...if I have 2.7 million lying around. Let me check under my mattress...brb.
Cyril Sneer / February 26, 2013 at 10:50 am
Wow, finally an actually nice house!
Alex / February 26, 2013 at 11:27 am
Very nice, and the chalkboard kitchen wall is brilliant! Not too thrilled about the location though.
Me replying to a comment from James / February 26, 2013 at 11:54 am
Agreed. This has to be the worst of her "articles" so far. the envy is palpable. She's also shown how little her "knowledge" is in her sarcastic remarks which of course as usual causes them to fall FAR off the imaginary mark. For the area, the house is a giveaway and property taxes are half the usual. I'd buy it in a second if I were in the market. I get that the idea at BlogTO is the typical Leftie tendency to shit on EVERYTHING but why bother with "Real Estate" articles at all if the intent is to make fun of home owners/property buyers?
Al / February 26, 2013 at 11:55 am
A beautiful old house in a great neighbourhood.
Me replying to a comment from James / February 26, 2013 at 12:04 pm
As for the comment about parking multiple vehicles, I suspect Robyn is one of those anti-car types who does not drive as the driveway to me at least is average at best. from the comment I was expecting a 4 car garage or underground parking, but nothing special. Truth is as a person who DOES drive and actually (GASP!!) likes cars, the driveway might be a deal breaker for me if a criteria at all. My wife would love a 6 burner stove but the kitchen is quite nice. Unlike many newer houses, it actually has character and looks cozy and a good place to cook for a family, rather than the sterile unwelcome look of most renovated boring modern kitchens. You see Robyn, some of us cook for ourselves and don't have Mom to bring it down to the basement for us.
I Finance Construction / February 26, 2013 at 12:33 pm
This house says BAM!!! I would rather build it than buy it!! Thanks, knockout!!
Hahaha / February 26, 2013 at 12:46 pm
I enjoyed looking at the pictures a lot more than reading the text... Seems Robyn can't manage to write a single article without getting some kind of sarcastic remark or insult in.

Beautiful house, well worth the asking price especially for where it is.
Profane / February 26, 2013 at 12:55 pm
Wood buy!
David / February 26, 2013 at 01:53 pm
Ah Robyn Urback... if you have to take home/condo buying advice from her, I feel sorry for you. Let's have someone else do these. Someone who actually knows what they are talking about.
Me replying to a comment from Hahaha / February 26, 2013 at 02:10 pm
And the pictures are straight from the Real Estate ad. I doubt they'd let Robyn in the door and most likely she knows it, hence the envious sarcasm. Though she is funny (And I'm sure not in the way she intended as I still suspect she sees herself as 'witty" and talented.), "reviewing" a house she's never set foot in from a few pics on the internet. Hahahaa!! Maybe I should "write" a "Real Estate review Blog" too and make myself a self appointed "expert" like Robyn, just copy a few pics from the ads, add a few pseudo "knowledgeable" lines and viola, I'm a "writer"!! hahahaaa. And once again, I am STILL waiting for the answer to what (if any) kind of residence she actually DOES like as so far, from her "writing" she appears to hate EVERYTHING.
Me / February 26, 2013 at 03:07 pm
Isn't there rules against stealing someone else's work (in this case, pics) and posting it as one's own? Even on the internet? Copyrights?
Hahaha replying to a comment from Me / February 26, 2013 at 03:30 pm
Maybe a 1960's basement with wood paneling... lol
Me replying to a comment from Hahaha / February 26, 2013 at 03:37 pm
My thought also. With Mom and Dad upstairs. Mom comes down time to time and politely asks as she sees Robyn on her laptop: "So, how is your 'writing' coming along dear?"
Alex replying to a comment from Me / February 26, 2013 at 03:59 pm
Wow, some seriously bitter people here. Assuming they're not all the same person (which is a big assumption) I'm guessing somebody tried to submit an article to blogTO and got rejected? Hey, it might not be your writing style, it could be they just thought the subject of the article was boring or it didn't fit with the site. No need to take your anger out on a better writer, just work on making yourself better.
Me replying to a comment from Alex / February 26, 2013 at 04:15 pm
Angry? No. just saying it how it is. Awful writing by an awful writer. Though from her writing "style", if anyone is bitter, it'd be Robyn. Apparently can't afford to buy a home and envious of those that can. I can't afford to buy either, but I don't steal pics from Real Estate ads and 'review" them in a caustic and mean spirited manner to get even.
luska / February 26, 2013 at 04:52 pm
This is an absolutely beautiful house! I love everything about it. The decorating is simple, eclectic and tasteful. I would definitely buy it.
Alex replying to a comment from Me / February 26, 2013 at 05:35 pm
You realize how ironic your post is, right?
Me / February 26, 2013 at 05:40 pm
It's not ironic. She is a very bad writer. many people have commented on it. Hopefully if she ever persues a career as a real one, she can take the heat and improve. Why write on a subject she so clearly hates? I'm not mean. Just honest. Her blog posts here have actually become a joke. I have actually wondered if that is the intent. As in bad publicity is till attention.
Me / February 26, 2013 at 06:11 pm
......still attention..luckily I am NOT a "writer" nor pretend to be, on the internet or anywhere else. lol.
Jessica / February 26, 2013 at 06:24 pm
Beautiful home.
Toll E Trollerton / February 26, 2013 at 07:32 pm
Me, you crazy and somewhat dumb
David replying to a comment from Alex / February 26, 2013 at 07:39 pm
No, Alex... no one is bitter. The person writing these reviews isn't very good. If you look back at each of the house and condo of the week posts, you'll see the same comment from other people regarding her writing. The photos don't even blong to her. She should learn to give credit where credit is due if she's going to use photos from other websites.
GTR racing lover / February 26, 2013 at 11:19 pm
I don't know why everyone has a stick up their butt about the author. I get the impression these aren't meant to be extensive reviews-- BlogTO just adds a couple of comments to make looking at the pictures more enjoyable / funny. I'm pretty sure anyone with $2.7 million to spend isn't looking at this site for real estate advice in the first place, and I'm pretty sure the author knows that. The better question is why all of these haters keep reading these articles? Maybe it's because they lead sad pathetic lives and feel as if trashing a random author will give them meaning in their life.

Everyone in this thread is now dumber for having read your comments. You are awarded no points and may god have mercy on your soul.
Ford4ever replying to a comment from Me / February 27, 2013 at 07:30 am
"(Robyn) Apparently can't afford to buy a home and envious of those that can."

Ah, it wouldn't be the internet without one of these "you're just jealous because ..." comments. Nice to see the 12-year-olds on here.

MMe replying to a comment from GTR racing lover / February 27, 2013 at 08:19 am
No, they're dumber for having read Robyn's work. Hopefully the comments have enlightened a few who didn't know this is normal for her to avoid them in the future.
Hahaha replying to a comment from GTR racing lover / February 27, 2013 at 02:35 pm
Doesn't matter what kind of site BlogTO is. If you're going to post something on a site that has as much traffic as this one, at least be somewhat professional about it and leave personal emotions out of it. This is not an opinion piece nor is it an editorial. It is a REVIEW of a property for sale.
Danger race car driver / February 27, 2013 at 08:37 pm
Don't half the articles on this website make snarky sarcastic comments? If you don't like the style then go back to reading the New Yorker or some other pretentious old people's magazine. Again if they wanted a substantial serious review, they would have asked her to write more than 7 sentences...
Me replying to a comment from Hahaha / February 27, 2013 at 09:12 pm
Even a Blog that's not taken seriously anyways, could do better than a wanna' be Marxist High School student who finds herself witty for a "writer". The "reviews" really are just a waste of bandwidth.
Oliveria Porckchop / February 27, 2013 at 09:49 pm
I've worked on better homes in that area for cheaper prices! I would not buy that house bro! I prefer my davenport/dufferin area home with my civic parked in the garage for the winter. Bro you guys arnt ready!
Hahaha replying to a comment from Oliveria Porckchop / February 28, 2013 at 08:59 am
Shouldn't you be in Woodbridge, bro?
Judi / February 28, 2013 at 10:03 am
Great home, great area, nicely done, a family would love this!
black dick / July 18, 2013 at 05:25 am
Hello there! Would you mind if I share your blog with my facebook group?
There's a lot of people that I think would really appreciate your content. Please let me know. Thanks