Saturday, October 25, 2014Mostly Cloudy 12°C

The photos of the week: January 4-10

Posted by Derek Flack / January 4, 2013

Ward's IslandThe photos of the week collect each of the editor-selected photos of the day into one post for a contest to be decided by our readers. Sponsored by Posterjack, the photographer whose image receives the most votes will be awarded with a voucher code for a 24"x36" poster print of their work.

All the rules and fine-print can be found in the original announcement post on the blogTO Flickr page. One thing to add, however, is that the voting period ends at 5:00 p.m. on Sunday, after which the winner will be contacted with the good news.

For those photographers whose images are featured below, please feel free to give us a little information about your shot — i.e. where and when it was taken — in the comments section. Who knows? Maybe your description will sway voters in your favour!

Lead photo by ~EvidencE~.

Eaton CentrePhoto by jamesbf

ROM Toronto snowPhoto by Gary Baker

Toronto DensityPhoto by Jonathan Castellino

Humber Bay Arch BridgePhoto by Subjective Art

Don RiverPhoto by mooncall2012

Toronto PierPhoto by DMVPhotography

caedes / January 4, 2013 at 02:12 pm
Does anyone know where that first photo by Evidence was taken?
Ron replying to a comment from caedes / January 4, 2013 at 03:42 pm
According to the Flickr Caption.. "Narnia" :). Amazing shot. Love it.
Gord / January 4, 2013 at 03:43 pm
If you follow the link to the picture, it looks like it's either Wards Island or Algonquin Island. Tis a cool shot.
Ron replying to a comment from caedes / January 4, 2013 at 03:45 pm
http://www.flickr.com/photos/-evidence-/8326065331/in/photostream is equally amazing.
EvidencE / January 4, 2013 at 04:49 pm
Thanks for comments
As Gord said it was shot just over the bridge
to Algonquin Island on Wards Island
Have a nice weekend.
click / January 4, 2013 at 04:59 pm
Eaton Centre? ROM? That stupid pedestrian bridge?

The quality of the shots featured notwithstanding and with all due respect to the people who shot them, surely BlogTO can find more interesting photos of things in town to celebrate that aren't the same tired Toronto landmarks.

And I would also challenge those photographers to expand their horizons. They clearly know what they're doing - it would be great to see them work the shit out of some original location.
Brett / January 4, 2013 at 06:16 pm
Hey click,
Why dont you post something better then? Gheesh.
McKegs / January 4, 2013 at 07:09 pm
Evidence is one of my favourite photographers in this city. I love the moody tone of his shots.
SubArt / January 4, 2013 at 07:16 pm
I appreciate the inclusion in the selection. Kudos to the other photographers. Some amazing work.

I shoot what pleases me, i.e. night photography, long exposures, bridges, scenes of isolation, etc. Having owned a studio for 5 years and having to shoot what clients desire (way too many weddings), I photograph what I want now.

If other people enjoy what I do, that's great. If not, I'm not really going to lose any sleep over it, you know?
shawn replying to a comment from caedes / January 4, 2013 at 07:34 pm
eaton centre
click replying to a comment from SubArt / January 4, 2013 at 10:45 pm
"As for your comment, click .... perhaps you could link to your work in order to provide inspiration for the rest of us."

Why? You'll just go out and shoot another long exposure of a bridge.

I kid, I kid.

Shooting the cliché landmarks of Toronto is boring...to me.

But not to you.

The end.
SubArt replying to a comment from click / January 5, 2013 at 04:28 am
The thing that I always find interesting is how the people doing the criticizing inevitably never seem willing to provide examples of their own talents & abilities.

That is the real cliché.

I've never been shy about voicing my opinion on this blog in the past, regardless of how unpopular it may be. The difference between you & I is that I always have the guts to link back to the work that I do.

You're a funny guy .... much like in the way clowns are funny.

At any rate, I do sincerely hope you and the rest of the blogTO readers have a great weekend.
click replying to a comment from SubArt / January 5, 2013 at 10:55 am
You say my opinion on your photo is without merit until I provide you with photographic samples of my own?

Do you ask the same of people who say they like your photos?

Were you drunk when you wrote your post?