Tuesday, September 2, 2014Partly Cloudy 18°C

Condo of the Week: 993 Queen West

Posted by Robyn Urback / January 16, 2013

993 queen st west toronto condoCheck out this condo at the Centre for Social Innovation in the Annex! Oops, I mean the Candy Factory Lofts across from Trinity Bellwoods Park. Heh. Though you can see how I might get confused, right? Designed by Karen Sealy, this two-bedroom condo has a bit of an industrial-chic-meets-country-cabin feel, complete with huge arched windows so everyone can see you in your industrial-chic-meets-country-cabin condo. And with a price tag that's actually under $1,000,000 (which may become somewhat of a rarity for a Candy Factory two-bedroom), this unit, obviously, is a home for the everyman. Solidarity, workers — this one's for you.

toronto condoSPECS:

Address: 993 Queen Street West, Loft 104
Price: $839,000
Size: 1,600 sq ft
Bedrooms: 2
Bathrooms: 1
Parking Spaces: 1
Monthly Maintenance: $624.18
Building Amenities: Rooftop terrace, guest suite, concierge, fitness centre, party room

candy factory lofts toronto condoNOTABLE FEATURES:

• Historic wooden beams
  • Sunken living room
  • Glass railings
  • Gas fireplace with stone mantle
  • Six-piece bathroom (two showers) with limestone counters
  • Built-in office space
  • Stainless steel appliances and kitchen island
  • Central air (despite ceiling fans)

candy factory lofts torontoGOOD FOR:

Snagging a prime sunning spot in Trinity Bellwoods Park (though it's up to you to convey that aloof sense of, "Oh, I just stumbled upon here..."). Good for entertaining, cohabitation (see two showers, above), bragging. Bonuses include natural light, room for yoga and yerba mate party, and lots of space for storage.

MOVE ON IF:

You hate wood walls that don't go up to the ceiling, or living amongst a sea of wayfarer glasses. You expect a little land for your $800,000; or at the very least, a second toilet.

candy factory lofts torontoINVESTMENT POTENTIAL:

Remember when Candy Factory lofts were selling for $200,000 - $300,000? Ah, the good old days of 2008...

Additional photos:993 queen st west loft993 queen st west loft993 queen st west condocandy factory lofts torontocandy factory lofts torontoIf you had the dough, would you buy this condo? Let us know where you stand in the comments below.

Theo / January 16, 2013 at 09:02 am
More real estate? I can check this out on Toronto Life if I was actually interested. I come to blogto for the stuff that I wouldn't find there.
Taylor / January 16, 2013 at 09:20 am
@theo why be a hater? Not every post on the site has to appeal to YOU..some of us are into looking at this stuff - and as for the Toronto life comment - blogTO is a biz man, you gotta keep up and compete with the other guys if you want to expand your reach
Resident / January 16, 2013 at 09:31 am
This unit would have likely been in the 400-500K range back in 2007/8. The 200-300K prices mentioned in this article would have been for single bedroom units with a size of around 1000 square feet.

For what it's worth, this unit is on the first floor at the back of the building. Although the rear units are longer than the front-facing units, the views are definitely not as desirable, especially as you move up floors.
Rafa / January 16, 2013 at 09:54 am
This exemplifies the hypocrisy of Queen St. I mean, Yorkville (which probably has similar priced condos) knows that it's Yorkville - it doesn't pretend to be anything else. Same goes for King West. But Queen West really is a bit confused. $840k for a condo across the street from Hipster HQ (aka Trinity Bellwoods)? I can just imagine the owners of this condo taking the elevator downstairs, buying a $5 latte from Starbucks, and then crossing the street to join some Occupy protest denouncing the 1%. Pathetic.
Ryan / January 16, 2013 at 09:57 am
Can someone please explain the ceiling fan comment to me? Why is it a faux pas to have ceiling fans in buildings with central air conditioning?

Rob replying to a comment from Ryan / January 16, 2013 at 10:01 am
That's just BlogTO, or rather the people that write for it, being jealous of something nice they can't afford. So, they use sarcasm and pretend to not like it.
Tammy / January 16, 2013 at 10:03 am
I think it's gorgeous and huge for a condo, but there is my issue - condo. Just something about paying condo fees that gets my northern girl sensibilities. So, I guess, even if I had the dough, I'd have to say no.
Collin Ng / January 16, 2013 at 10:07 am
very nicely laid out.

Even with the means, at 850K & +$600/month mainteance, it's hard to convince yourself to not buy a nice little house in the area.
Danny replying to a comment from Theo / January 16, 2013 at 10:15 am
I agree with THEO. I thought this was Toronto Life when I clicked on it. I guess as in movies and songs, originality is overrated.
MS / January 16, 2013 at 10:20 am
Houses in the area that are larger, include parking, and have no maintenance fees are selling for similar or less prices.

The unit is nicely done (though will it look as good with your crappy furniture in there?), but overpriced IMHO.
Bizoune / January 16, 2013 at 10:22 am
At that price, too bad you can hear your neighbor fart.
milo / January 16, 2013 at 10:32 am
You sheep do realize houses have maintainance fees too, right?

granted you can wait stuff out sometimes - but there isn't a single house which would cost less than 600 a month to run.
George / January 16, 2013 at 10:33 am
Used to live in this building. My favorite loft building in Toronto (well other than 468 Wellington).
sukit / January 16, 2013 at 10:37 am
Come to 68 Broadview.

I'll show you a loft.
Boy about Town / January 16, 2013 at 10:46 am
Are you on commission ... is this advetorial ... have you just discovered cynicism ?
Toronto 'Life' my arse.
Simon / January 16, 2013 at 10:55 am
Looks amazing! If I had the money I'd take this place in a heartbeat. Given the amount of space, the maintenance fees are fairly reasonable.
Gregory / January 16, 2013 at 11:20 am
it's been sold already - full price $839,000 on the market for one day !!
houseboy replying to a comment from milo / January 16, 2013 at 11:21 am
$600 per month to run a house??!! You must be joking. I live in a house not far from these lofts (which are quite nice, by the way) and there's no way that I spend $600/month in maintenance. If you need to spend that much money on maintaining your house, then the place is falling down and you're a sucker. Condo maintenance fees are one of the biggest scams running. It is always cheaper to buy a house than a condo in the long run.
Alea / January 16, 2013 at 11:23 am
The condo looks nice! But the minimalist shelf with random shoes and that boring ubiquitous Audrey Ikea thing spoiled it for me.

Hahh just kidding, I've always been curious what those Candy lofts might look like inside. Very nice
Moo / January 16, 2013 at 12:02 pm
Anyone else notice that cow in photo #7 is looking a little flat?
Robert replying to a comment from Ryan / January 16, 2013 at 02:01 pm
Because ceiling fans are tacky.
Robert replying to a comment from Rob / January 16, 2013 at 02:02 pm
What a boor, look in a mirror and judge yourself, people that judge others like that have little to base their judgments on.
alias / January 16, 2013 at 02:24 pm
How much are you guys getting for this advertorial? I can look at this anywhere else if I want. PS: Overpriced.
susan / January 16, 2013 at 02:31 pm
Nicke condo. Makes me want to smoke a cigar and eat chocolate.
KNau / January 16, 2013 at 03:10 pm
Actually, I find this kind of article fits nicely with the rest of blogTO and I appreciate them posting it. But then I haven't spent enough time in Toronto yet to become as bitchy and jaded as the other commentators.

You have a great city and aren't stuck in the sh*tty dead-end suburbs or hick towns that make up the rest of SW Ontario. Smile a bit, wouldya?

Who needs haters if these are what pass for *fans* of the site?!
cathie / January 16, 2013 at 03:26 pm
From what I can see, there are only windows on one side of this unit, there is no outdoor space and it appears the bedrooms are windowless. Big fail for this price. You don't really own a condo, like you do a house, and maintenance fees are indeed the biggest rip-off. It would kill me to pay that each month, its money you will never get back like you would if you put it into a single home. So I am very grateful that I can afford a house.
gg / January 16, 2013 at 06:09 pm
900k for egg yellow place? Relle?
Floor plan, please replying to a comment from cathie / January 16, 2013 at 06:14 pm
It's hard to tell if the bedrooms have windows or not. If the bedroom is adjacent to the living room, then maybe one of the bedroom walls has a window. (It could have been behind the photographer.)

We shouldn't need to speculate about this, however. It's fine to put up the total square footage and to snap a few photos, but why not also include a simple floor plan for the unit? Surely the developers / condo managers have access to one that could have been scanned and posted into the article. (It's the 21st century: they probably have a PDF file on hand with a floor plan that they send out to anyone inquiring about seeing a unit.)

I agree that maintenance costs are a big rip-off. But at the same time, I prefer condo living to house living. I'd rather pay more money in order for the privilege of doing less work myself in maintaining the property. I like to live downtown, and condos seem like the best option. I just don't need all of the space of a house.
Bubba replying to a comment from Rafa / January 16, 2013 at 06:41 pm
The owners are likely buying a $5 coffee from you....right?
yoyoma replying to a comment from Bubba / January 16, 2013 at 07:09 pm
ha.ha.
Bubba replying to a comment from sukit / January 16, 2013 at 07:26 pm
Will your mom be home?
Bubba replying to a comment from susan / January 16, 2013 at 07:27 pm
Makes me want to walk around naked listening to Phil Collins
Resident replying to a comment from Floor plan, please / January 16, 2013 at 09:59 pm
I've lived in this building for nearly six years and have never seen a floor plan of my unit... Aside from the fire plan by the elevators.

Though, as I said, this unit faces the back of the building. As such, it only has south facing windows (off the sunken living room).
Haha / January 16, 2013 at 10:09 pm
Ah. Another badly written piece by Robyn. We don't even need her name there to know either as she couldn't resist her trademark snarkiness in the very first sentence. Only BlogTO would have a property writer who apparently hates ALL types of property as the recent piece on a non-condo property reflects. I do wonder to be honest if Robyn is actually envious of property owners or if she just genuinely believes herself witty and sarcasticly so. Mostly these pieces just make her sound rather bitter.
Haha replying to a comment from Rafa / January 16, 2013 at 10:12 pm
So well put. Maybe they'll hang with Robyn there and whine for their entitlements.
Me replying to a comment from Danny / January 16, 2013 at 10:15 pm
If it were Toronto Life, it'd be better written and run by an editor before being run. It's doubtful a writer this bad would be published at all, but I do agree with your point otherwise. lol.
Danielle replying to a comment from Taylor / January 17, 2013 at 01:09 am
Awesome.
Don't have a cow man / January 17, 2013 at 03:37 am
I really can't decide if I would want to live in this place or not, because the decorating is so garish. It's all so busy with the cow rug, the terrible wallpaper, and the dozens of cushions under which the sofas are buried.

I need to go stare into empty space now.
That blogTO of old... / January 17, 2013 at 03:42 am
It's no longer clear what blogTO is trying to be. It was better when it was just about new music and food and event announcements. As one can gather from these property pieces, blogTO is trying hard to become an e-newspaper / lifestyle magazine.

It's hard to separate the news / facts from the opinions in its current format.
opensource1111 / January 17, 2013 at 10:09 am
I am starting the feel the same way about this site. It is not surprising that the content and nature of a site can change over time. Toronto Life went through a similar transformation years ago, from a magazine that included interesting articles on local places and people to more sensationalist fare and pandering to the upperwardly mobile. I would fit the category of the upwardly mobile, but that doesn't mean I want to read about myself or people just like me. Boring.
Meatpie replying to a comment from Haha / January 17, 2013 at 10:32 am
Or they can hang on the north-west corner of Queen and Bathurst with you.
Nick replying to a comment from Tammy / January 17, 2013 at 02:52 pm
I agree with you here Tammy, I grew up near stratford and feel that condo fees are a cash grab. I just don't get it...or agree with it.
Barry / January 17, 2013 at 03:42 pm
This is the funniest condo i've ever seen. Looking at the clothes in the closet I bet the guy looks and acts like Zoolander. I think i dated the pic of the girl on the wall and unloaded like no tomorrow.
Jacky replying to a comment from Barry / January 17, 2013 at 03:59 pm
Thats distrubing. Makes me want to take a big corn dump on Barry's head.
Ursula replying to a comment from Barry / January 17, 2013 at 05:15 pm
WOW - you dated AND unloaded on Audrey Hepburn??

I just took a big corn dump on your head too.

loser.
me / January 17, 2013 at 06:12 pm
What's a Zoolander?
Barry / January 17, 2013 at 09:12 pm
I did date Audrey indeed. She has the finest sweet corn dumps...
Jodie / January 17, 2013 at 09:14 pm
I love this condo. The aroma of the wood ceilings gets my bowels moving and my fingers tingling. Anyone agree?
Peaches and cream / January 17, 2013 at 09:20 pm
I'm a corn fanatic, I love peaches and cream!
Barry / January 17, 2013 at 09:23 pm
Can't wait for Summer. Corny corn hole
Bobby / January 17, 2013 at 09:33 pm
Zoo lander is from movie. I don't understand why there is 2 showers in one washroom. Sounds bizarre. The owners must have constant diarrhea. Not sure if anyone noticed but there is a brown stain on the cow Carpet. Ewwww tehehehtehehehe
Mike / January 17, 2013 at 09:46 pm
Perhaps the owners eat a lot of corn
Randy / January 18, 2013 at 02:02 pm
I cant decide who is more pathetic; pretentious residents that adorned this crappy apartment or the writer's description: "Bonuses include natural light, room for yoga and yerba mate party". What is a yerba mate and where do i find one so I can take a corn dump on its head?
Al / January 18, 2013 at 09:42 pm
I'm going to take a big dump by the fireplace and let it cook. Ummmm the smell or corn.
Beef / January 18, 2013 at 09:43 pm
These are the best comments ever.
Carl / January 20, 2013 at 06:55 pm
I know the guy who sold this place and he gave my crabs after a mocha at Starbucks.
Carl
Billy / January 23, 2013 at 02:11 pm
I love this building. its the best. I like that fact that I can take a dump and my neighbors can smell it.
Monty / January 24, 2013 at 02:19 pm
Walked by the unit in the building yesterday and egg sharted on the door. I can now say the unit has character.