Friday, October 31, 2014Light Rain Shower 6°C

Condo of the Week: 68 Broadview

Posted by Robyn Urback / January 23, 2013

68 broadview ave torontoFor all of those who have dreamt of a life akin to Walter White, here's your chance to occupy a former drug warehouse. Uh, a Rexall drug warehouse, that is. This two-storey loft includes a patio the size of many new downtown condo units (sadly), and an integrated TV and surround stereo system included with the loft. All for the low, low price of just $845,000. And if that sounds unreasonable based on your current financial status, just remember there that are always alternate means of supplementing your income. Just take it from Walter.

68 broadview ave torontoSPECS:

Address: 68 Broadview, Loft 605
Price: $845,000
Size: 1,200 - 1,399 sq ft
Bedrooms: 1 + 1
Bathrooms: 2
Parking Spaces: 1 (Second space for sale, listed separately)
Locker: 1
Monthly Maintenance: $560.32
Taxes: $3,778.00 (2012)
Building Amenities: Roof deck, party room, security

68 broadview torontoNOTABLE FEATURES:

• Bose surround sound system and TV included
  • 21.5 ft ceilings
  • Hardwood floors
  • Granite countertops
  • Stainless steel appliances and sub-zero fridge
  • 4-Piece bathroom on main floor
  • 3-Piece bathroom on second floor with limestone tiles
  • 400-sf ft terrace
  • Built-in master closet
  • Main floor office area

68 broadview ave torontoGOOD FOR:

Catching incredible sunsets (west exposure), keeping guests out of your master ensuite, checking out the traffic on the DVP. Also suitable for very tall people, people with very tall friends, claustrophobics, barbecue-enthusiasts, and nostalgic Rexall employees.

68 broadview ave torontoMOVE ON IF:

You like the ability to draw your bedroom curtains without affecting light in the rest of the suite, or you're looking at condos specifically to rid your life of stair-climbing. You believe a home office should have two walls (at the very least), and fear that dreams of falling will become that much more terrifying when waking up in a bed that's seemingly suspended in air.

Additional photos:68 broadview toronto68 broadview toronto68 broadview toronto68 broadview ave toronto68 broadview toronto68 broadview ave toronto68 broadview toronto

If you had the dough, would you buy this condo? Let us know where you stand in the comments below.

Cory / January 23, 2013 at 08:45 am
If I had enough dough... yup, I would.
As it said in the article - the terrace is practically as big as most new 1br condo's in downtown.
Tiffany / January 23, 2013 at 09:12 am
This place is fucking amazing.

Cue whining and nitpicking from people who can't afford it.

(I can't afford it.)
hmmm / January 23, 2013 at 09:16 am
spectacular!
steve / January 23, 2013 at 09:26 am
Well done, nicely finished.
Wow / January 23, 2013 at 09:29 am
Wow, yes I would!
Normally these posts feature some kind of overpriced nonsense, but this... is downright amazing.
Aaron / January 23, 2013 at 09:36 am
Beautiful layout, very well decorated, oooh yeah!
Craig / January 23, 2013 at 09:54 am
Beautiful! Maint. fee is surprisingly low for a unit so big. I'd offer $800,000 with all the furniture included :)
Collin Ng / January 23, 2013 at 10:00 am
very nice lay out.

BlogTO, can you guys include more pics in these House/Condo of the week features? It'd be nice to see more of what these places have to offer since majority of us can't afford it...
Roma / January 23, 2013 at 10:06 am
Meh. Doesn't look worth the price from a usability perspective. Limited shelf life for most people.
Henry / January 23, 2013 at 10:08 am
Where are your guest suppose to sleep?
Henry replying to a comment from Roma / January 23, 2013 at 10:08 am
100% agree.
Dave / January 23, 2013 at 10:24 am
That's basically my dream home. I wonder what's going on under the stairs. Storage space, I'd hope?
alan / January 23, 2013 at 10:24 am
i'd buy in a heartbeat...gotta win the lotto first...as far as guests, how often does anyone have guests and if you do the new broadview hotel is just down the street...
Danny replying to a comment from Henry / January 23, 2013 at 10:31 am
www.hotels.com
Awesome / January 23, 2013 at 10:55 am
I live in in 68 Broadview as well, in a unit also in the "05" column.

Awesome place, the only one issue with the west facing units, and even more so in regards to this unit, as its all glass, is that it gets so unbelievably hot from April to October.

Yes, we have A/C but you really have to keep it pumping all day to help keep the unit cool.

On the flip side, we rarely have to turn the heat on from Nov to April, as it stays relatively insulated due to the same westerly exposure.

$845K is actually reasonably priced for that unit.
Im in same square footage, albeit different lay out, on lower floor and we paid $550K back in 2010. So id say that pricing is about right.

Perfect location too. 10 minutes to downtown, super access to DVP/Gardiner, vibrant community in Riverside.

Great post!

Tim / January 23, 2013 at 10:55 am
Nice place. Where's the "+1" bedroom? Is it that semi-walled off desk area?
Kirk / January 23, 2013 at 11:32 am
Would buy it in a heartbeat if I had the $$$!
Beautiful!
Grace Under Fire / January 23, 2013 at 11:40 am
This condo reminds me of a show for a sitcom. For one scene, they film in the "dining room" on one side of the barrier. For the next scene, they film in the "office" on the other side of the barrier....
Grace Under Fire / January 23, 2013 at 11:41 am
I meant a "set for a sitcom". ;)
krash / January 23, 2013 at 12:17 pm
I also lived here around 5 years ago for about two years, it's a very nice building. It's what a real loft is, not these new constructions you see around Toronto. I think 4 years ago, a similar size unit on the penthouse floor was listed for about $100k less. So that's a nice little return if the owner can sell at the current listed price.

It's quite true about the west exposure. It was like a sauna every day coming home from work during the summer time. The top of backboard of my bed was warped from the sun, since it was right up against the window. But the view of the downtown core is hard to turn down, it's simply amazing when you sit out on the balcony and have lunch on the weekends.

Even though I rented my place (which was in the x05 column as well), it does have a great maintenance fee because it doesn't have all those useless and costly amenities that you find in every other condo these days. But best of all, these places are built to last, you won't find falling glass here.
me / January 23, 2013 at 12:28 pm
love the office...
Awesome replying to a comment from krash / January 23, 2013 at 12:28 pm
Question for you Krash...

Did you have issues with the sound proofing between you unit and neighbouring units?

Its has become quite a problem for the building, whereas the builders have been taken to court and it appears as though the tenants "won" and they are going to be fixing the issues. Although, i wont hold my breath on that.

Curious to know if you were privy to anything during your time there?
stuff / January 23, 2013 at 01:50 pm
I just moved into 68 last month, and had no idea of the sound issues until someone else in the building mentioned it to me.

This was NOT indicated in the status certificate, and my lawyer handing the purchase couldn't find anything.

After a week, it became apparent that this is a big problem.

I can hear my neighbours both beside and above me...I have a call into to property management so we'll see what transpires.

To what Awesome said, it's a great area, 10 min streetcar over to Yonge, up to Danforth, not much farther to the Beaches, and tons of great stuff on your doorstep...excluding Jilly's of course ;-)

Cheers !
kat replying to a comment from Tiffany / January 23, 2013 at 02:09 pm
it's gorgeous, but it costs more than many homes! including those in surrounding neighbourhoods, or comparable ones. add your condo fees, and i'd rather buy a house (if i could afford it) also, a bedroom with walls would be nice.
Awesome replying to a comment from stuff / January 23, 2013 at 02:11 pm
Jillys isnt all that bad.
Gives the area a bit of rough character. And they are very welcoming.

But yes, we were never made aware of the sound issues either when we moved in. And much like you, the sound is terrible. Doesn't help that our neighbours are brutally loud. Even with knowing how piss poor the sound is, they don't use any common sense to their noise making. I love calling security on them time and time again.

I talked with property management recently and they informed that the issue is getting finalized within the courts. Whatever that truly means. They said they should be fixing it "in the near future".

Like to hear the response you get from them also.
krash replying to a comment from Awesome / January 23, 2013 at 09:46 pm
Yeah there was some talk among the residents about the sound issue, but it sounds like it's become much bigger thing if it's going through the court system. I had pretty good neighbours on my floor so it was never a big concern for me in terms of noise.

If you guys get this problem solved, you should be able to really enjoy your time in this loft.
sombrenoire / January 23, 2013 at 11:23 pm
Oh dear... look at the property tax on this baby.
Marie Muffin Top replying to a comment from Awesome / January 23, 2013 at 11:33 pm
Caveat Emptor applies here.

I live in a similar hard loft and the sound proofing is atrocious on all sides (above, below, and sides). I can hear my neighbours talking, footsteps, neighbours having sex, and even coughing.

Our Board has looked into our building's sound proofing, and they had an engineer confirm that it was up to code (which doesn't say much for Toronto's building standards).

I would be interested to know on what grounds you guys won your settlement, because most--if not all--conversions (and a lot of new condos) are known for poor sound proofing and are all likely to pass code.
Elle / January 24, 2013 at 01:22 am
No, I wouldn't buy this. Sure it looks shiny and shit, but I would be bored with it after 6 months. New trendy lofts are going up all over the place, who cares. They're just great for some crowds who want to have parties and enhance their social image or whateverthefuck.

Sound proofing is important. One of my biggest peeves has been about the lack thereof in some places I've lived in.

B, itch replying to a comment from Elle / January 24, 2013 at 07:32 am
This isn't a "new trendy loft". This was built back in 2004, in the east end well before the east end became what it has started to become.
It has won awards for its re-use of an old warehouse and its design (Sound notwithstanding).
Living in a place like this isn't just parties and social image or whateverthefuck.

People do prefer to live a different way, not just in your standard condo or boring semi detached house.

Your blatant ignorance is quite interesting though.
Awesome replying to a comment from Marie Muffin Top / January 24, 2013 at 10:11 am
We havent heard the actualy outcome as of yet.

But what i have been told by our property manager is that it will be getting fix.

Whatever that means, your guess is as good as mine.

The current state of the walls is atrocious though. Between units all there is 2 dry wall on one side, empty space, some studs then the neighbouring drywall. Absolutely no insulation whatsoever between them.

Im just as curious to know what they plan on doing. Will it just be spray foam put in between the walls, will the actually add one some sort of sound deading devices, etc.

Either way, it will be very interesting to hear the outcome shortly
Patricia / January 24, 2013 at 10:13 am
I lived in 68 Broadview for over a year. I was the first tenant. I loved it, and still miss it everyday. The sound issues are in the origianl part of the building, the penthouses will not have these issues.
Simply Stunning. Maybe i'll look into buying back in....
Buttplug Andy replying to a comment from Patricia / January 24, 2013 at 10:53 am
Sounds like Patricia is a real estate agent trying to mitigate the damages (re: poor soundproofing).

Contrary to what Patricia writes, the additions (penthouses) would also have the same soundproofing issues as the original building underneath. The original building's structure would not be able to support the weight of better soundproofing materials.
Patricia / January 24, 2013 at 11:18 am
haha, Andy, not a real estate agent. Just a person who lived in unit 422 at the Broadview lofts, and had friends who lived in the penthouses...the additions to the building ie the 422 section, and the penthouses never had these issues. Infact, at the first board meeting ever, i was surprised to hear of these deficiencies..I just loved living at the loft, and only left cause i had a baby, and a no bedroom place with an infant isn't easy.
Varas replying to a comment from Buttplug Andy / January 24, 2013 at 01:48 pm
HA HA. Andy! A little bird told me that patricia is owners close relation, either a sister or first cousin. ;) So definately a vested interest and not "just a person".
Kelsey / January 25, 2013 at 10:05 am
Wow! So petty! It seems that most people here actually live in the building and jealousy is rampant. I thought this blog was supposed to help people find the condo of their dreams, not find neighbours from hell. You people obviously have issues and this is not the forum to discuss them. With that being said. I think that this condo is awesome! I only wish I could afford it.
Alex / January 25, 2013 at 01:57 pm
Definitely not for me, especially the office. It's way too open, though it's a loft so that's more part of the charm for people than anything else and really just a personal preference of mine to not live in one. Love the kitchen though.
krash / January 25, 2013 at 02:42 pm
It's pretty tough to find a loft or condo building with perfect sound-proofing. It's always gonna be a problem that you have to live with when there are people living right next to you. You just hope you have some good neighbours, like I did when I lived in this loft.

This building and area is still under-valued I think. Just look at the growth on Queen East. Compared to Cabbagetown and Riverdale, this area is relatively inexpensive. This will be a million dollar loft in a few years.
Simon Tarses / January 25, 2013 at 06:55 pm
PROS:

*Conversion of an old building that's exactly like the old building used to be

*Big space that's enough to fit a cat in (as well as a ton of other stuff)

*Windows that let you see out into the world (including one in you bedroom)

*Classic, ageless apartment design reminiscent of the older apartments still around from the 50's, 60's, and 70's (no overabundance of glass except where glass is SUPPOSED to be)

CONS:

*Place is a bit far from shopping and public transit for its own good (occupant will have to be driving to the nearby Loblaws all of the time, or walking there with shopping cart)

*Too much sun shining inside unit in summer, with the increase in cooling bills just to keep it cool when the AC is run, and no way to put up curtains to block out said sun

*Not being able to bring in own stereo/TV set (what if you have a big old Pioneer 40-inch CRT [cathode ray tube] TV set that still works and want to use it?) Of course, I might be wrong about this, but still...
Olive here replying to a comment from Simon Tarses / January 25, 2013 at 10:26 pm
The cooling costs even out throughout the year, as you rarely if ever need to turn your heat in the colder months. The units stay rather warm.
Not for me / January 26, 2013 at 04:22 am
This is the kind of place I'd want to attend a party at. But I wouldn't want to live in it. It's neither practical nor enjoyable in the long run, nor located in reasonable distance of amenities. Lofts like these are just conversation pieces.
Klown replying to a comment from Not for me / January 27, 2013 at 09:32 am
You're pretty insulted aren't you.
JL / January 27, 2013 at 07:14 pm
So essentially in order to live downtown in Toronto in 2013 you either have to be homeless and penniless, or affluent and elitist so you can pitch a million bucks for a loft.

Can't wait to see what this part of the city looks like in 2033.
krash replying to a comment from Simon Tarses / January 28, 2013 at 11:36 am
Not sure if you have any clue where this place is. Unless you live right next to a supermarket, everyone drives. No Frills on Front is less than a 5 minute drive. Loblaws not much further. As for public transit, it takes less than one minute to walk up to Queen St. The DVP is less than two minute drive, and the Gardiner is about five minutes away. You can get to downtown (i.e. Yonge St) within ten minutes drive. Yep, this place is really inconvenient.
Simon Tarses replying to a comment from JL / January 28, 2013 at 01:23 pm
Sadly, how true. Things have changed since I moved to this part of town in 1994, and only SLIGHTLY for the better, but mainly worse.
Kat replying to a comment from Tim / January 28, 2013 at 01:52 pm
The second bedroom is outside.
umair / January 28, 2013 at 05:18 pm
I actually worked security in this building for a few years while back in university. Great building. This is the penthouse unit. Those interested in this loft should be concerned with sound noise. Tenants told me they can hear every whisper from their neighbors. The building itself is old, so expect maintenance to rise. Other than that, decor is amazing and so is everything else!
Mike / February 7, 2013 at 05:29 pm
I was about to put in an offer until I read all the comments about the noise.
Simon Tarses replying to a comment from krash / February 7, 2013 at 07:35 pm
Actually, I do, since I've passed here before whenever I've been driven on the street in question.
lofts replying to a comment from stuff / March 26, 2013 at 11:34 pm
how bad is the noise? deal breaker?
Attorney / August 15, 2013 at 09:22 pm
This website could be a walk-by way of for the data you desired about this as well as didn’t understand who to ask. Glimpse right here, as well as you’ll favorably uncover this.
downtowner80 / June 24, 2014 at 09:30 am
fantastic. i lived in this building for 3 years after it was first built. great space. hope to see the neighbourhood improve with the closing of Jilly's. thinking about a move back to the east end. Surprised to see comments on noise, noise issues were no worse/better than other condo's I have lived in. Could hear high heels and loud bangs from time to time, but could never hear people talking.
shelbyveeg / August 20, 2014 at 04:32 pm
Okay building but glad I moved. Units aren't practical, lots of wasted space. peaceful environment compared to my condo in the west end.