CUPE 416 rejects City's "final offer"
Apparently city officials have been watching too much "Who Wants to be a Millionaire?" because they have just presented CUPE 416 with their so-called final offer and told to "take it or leave it."
CUPE has decided to go with the latter, according to local president Mark Ferguson, who says the offer "basically guts [their] collective agreement."
"It is the clearest demonstration to date that the city has no interest to bargain a collective agreement with us at this time," he said.
CUPE 416, which represents 6,000 outdoor Toronto workers, previously offered a deal that included a three-year wage freeze and five-year job security restriction. Although Ferguson says that the union will continue to negotiate, a strike or lockout is possible as of 12:O1 a.m. Sunday.
So is this just more public bargaining, or are we headed straight for a labour disruption?
Update (3:30 p.m.)
The City of Toronto has released its terms and conditions if no deal is reached by 12:01 on Sunday. If CUPE workers don't accept the city's deal then they could start laying off hundreds of workers.
For a full list of the terms and conditions outlined the city, see below.
Photo by syncros in the blogTO Flickr pool
Join the conversation Load comments