Saturday, October 25, 2014Mostly Cloudy 15°C

Toronto Christmas trees buying guide

Posted by Derek Flack / December 2, 2010

Toronto Christmas treesFinding Christmas trees in Toronto isn't exactly a difficult thing to do. Pretty much every grocery store carries a variety, many of which are decently if not amazingly priced. But, should one be looking for a locally grown tree or even for knowledgeable sales staff, the options diminish rather significantly.

With that in mind, here's a list of five places to buy a tree that aren't Loblaws, Sobeys or Ikea. Oh, and just to be clear, I'm talking about real trees here!

Fiesta Farms
The place where I've purchased my last two trees, Fiesta Gardens (affiliated with Fiesta Farms grocery store) offers a wide selection and decent prices. Sourced mainly from Ontario (but with a selection from Nova Scotia and Oregon) as well, the price range is $28 for a three to four foot tree to $200 for a 14 foot monster. Balsam and Fraser Fir make up the majority of their selection. 200 Christie St., 416-537-1244.

St. Lawrence Market
One of the best locally grown options in the city, DonMor Farms Christmas Trees & Greens can be found outside the North market building everyday of the week (unlike the farmers inside who are only there on Saturdays). The most popular tree at DonMor is the short-needled Fraser Fir, which goes for about $10 per foot. The do, however carry a variety of trees, with Balsam's coming in at a less expensive $6 per foot. Very knowledgeable staff. 416-769-2810.

Evergreen Gardens (Don Valley Brick Works)
Another good local option is Evergreen Gardens at the Don Valley Brick Works. All of the trees on offer here are grown in Alliston, about an hour north of the city. Varieties on offer include Balsam and Fraser fir, White and Scotch Pine, and Concolor fir. Prices range from 19.99 for a 2 1/2 foot tree to 79.99 for 9 foot offering. Thursday-Sunday, 416-596-0404.

Harvest Your Own Trees
If locally sourced doesn't quite cut it and you want to cut the tree down yourself (or beside a skilled farmer), there are actually tons of options in the GTA (and slightly beyond). Perhaps the most popular is Horton Farms just north of Stouffville where trees go for $40 cash, but there's actually an entire website devoted to the various other options.

East End Garden Centre
Residents in the east end could do worse than a trip to this garden centre, which carries Balsam and Fraser Firs, Scoth Pine and Kris Kringle trees in a range of sizes from three to 16 feet. Prices start at $25 and they keep stock right up until Christmas Eve, so take note procrastinators. 1395 Queen St. E., 416-469-4925

Did we miss a great X-mas tree seller? Let us know in the comments section.

Photo by alfred ng on Flickr.

morga / December 2, 2010 at 03:37 pm
Agnostic who loves Christmas right here. I don't buy a lot of gifts, but the decorations, the food, the movies, the music, and the joy that comes with this season makes life worth living.
liz / December 2, 2010 at 05:23 pm
There's usually a tree sale at the St. Peter's church parking lot near Markham and Bloor. At least there has been one there for the past few years :)
Nerves / December 3, 2010 at 07:55 am
Kriss Kringle Trees are grown locally and are available at many retailers around the GTA.
Darlene / December 3, 2010 at 09:32 am
Have been getting our tree from behind St. Peter's Church for years. They're super nice, have got competitive prices, and are really good about cutting/trimming to your needs.
Irina / December 3, 2010 at 11:16 am
Excellent post! Googled this yesterday looking for local trees to no avail. Thank you.
Jenelle / December 3, 2010 at 12:31 pm
Anyone know where I can buy a plain, side tabletop, artificial Christmas tree, under about two feet tall? So far I checked two Michael's locations and they're either scrawny or dusted with fake snow or some other decoration.
Elke / December 3, 2010 at 01:57 pm
By far, the BEST place in the city to get a beautiful, fresh Christmas tree is from Jeff the Tree Guy at the St. Lawrence Market (north side). I've been getting my tree there for over 15 years and I like the fact that the trees are opened instead of tied in netting, so I know exactly what I'm getting. They also have wreaths, garland, pine cones, holly and even "real" mistletoe!—it's one-stop shopping for me! They're also open 7 days a week which is handy around the holiday rush. The prices are good and it's worth mentioning that the staff is really helpful, friendly and knowledgeable—main reason why I go back year after year. They simply are the BEST!
Mary replying to a comment from Elke / December 6, 2010 at 08:17 pm
how much does he charge? I saw a pretty good looking tree at Metro for 39.99 (8 feet)
Laura / December 11, 2010 at 12:23 pm
I wish I'd read this article before going out to get a tree. I've been getting a Scotch Pine tree for over 30 years and was shocked to find that no place in the neighbourhood carries them anymore so I had to pay up for a Fraser Fir. I've made a note of which places had Scotch Pine this year and hope they will next year. Thanks for the information in the article.
MP / December 13, 2010 at 06:09 pm
Davenport Garden Centre at Davenport and Dupont has a great selection of Christmas trees including Balsam and Fraser firs. The quality of the trees is excellent and so is the service they provide. They also carry a wide variety of wreaths, garland and boughs. See their website for more info: www.davenportgarden.com

P / December 7, 2011 at 10:23 pm
*Holiday Trees
SHAYNE / December 21, 2011 at 07:16 pm
i WANT TO GET A 5 FOOT TREE FOR AROUND 20 BUCKS. ANYONE KNOW WHERE TO GET THIS?
test / October 19, 2012 at 01:41 pm
testasetas
Steven / November 6, 2012 at 11:27 am
EZ Tree in association with Kriss Kringle are offering fraser fir delivery and setup from $90. In addition they offer tree disposal and clean up for only $30!
Lin / November 28, 2012 at 12:06 pm
I ordered my x-mas tree online this year and had it delviered and it was amazing. I used a company called Tree 4 Me and they were awesome! They brought 3 trees, let me pick my favourite and installed it and everything. I'll never deal with the hassle of hunting or setting up an x-mas tree again.
Tree4Me / November 28, 2012 at 12:12 pm
Hey thanks for the shout out Lin! Glad we could help you out this year. Send us an email at info@tree4me.ca and we'll come pick your tree up for you in a couple weeks!
Joe / December 10, 2012 at 04:10 pm
I just ordered my tree from tree4me.ca over the weekend and I couldn't be happier. I ordered a 9ft fraser fir for delivery on Saturday morning. I had mentioned over the phone I had two small kids and I guess John the owner remembered because he showed up in a full Santa suit to set this tree up. The kids were over the moon when he came in and it really got our family in the spirit not to mention the tree was perfect. What a great experience I'm definitely calling John and his crew from Tree4me.ca back to set up my tree next year.
Leo / November 23, 2013 at 08:47 am
what's the website name for tree 4 me - every time i put it in google, it says there's no domain. does it exist anymore???
Laura / November 30, 2013 at 12:20 pm
Would love to get an updated guide of this nature for 2013!
Sharon / December 2, 2013 at 12:35 pm
I live at Yong and Eglinton and was wondering if you'll would know where I can purchase a fresh tree from in the area.

Thanks!!!!
bob replying to a comment from Sharon / December 2, 2013 at 11:34 pm
Metro at Eg and bayview
Bernadine replying to a comment from Jenelle / December 6, 2013 at 05:26 pm
I just got one that's 12 inches from Dollarama last year, and decorated it myself! looks good
SARAH replying to a comment from Jenelle / December 7, 2013 at 02:44 pm
XS CARGO HAS THEM SUPER CHEAP.
Devon / December 20, 2013 at 06:14 pm
Miceli's trees, which used to set up in the Walmart parking lot at the Dufferin Mall has now moved to the parking lot at the Galleria mall (Dufferin and Dupont). I go there every year. Every year he helps me pick a tree (he has about a million) and lets me feel like a professional haggler :)

I believe he'll be at the Galleria mall from now on.