Friday, November 28, 2014Cloudy -4°C

Morning Brew: Toronto Police Corruption Charges Stayed, Woman Killed with Toddler Present, Painkiller Overdose Deaths, Winter Storm Watch, Resident Evil Explosions at Queen & Broadview, Billboard Tax Approved

Posted by Jerrold Litwinenko / December 8, 2009

police horsePhoto: "The Ticket Master" by ~EvidenceE~, member of the blogTO Flickr pool.

What's happening in the GTA (and sometimes beyond):

After six years being tied up in the courts, charges against two Toronto police officers accused of all kinds of corruption and witness intimidation have been stayed. I guess we'll never know if they really were bad cops or not.

The city's 58th homicide of the year is a particularly disturbing one. A woman was shot in the head near her vehicle, while her toddler was inside. A witness claims to have seen a man fleeing in a purple compact car.

A study has found that a staggering number of deaths in Ontario are attributed to overdoses of prescription opioids including Oxycontin. Each year, some 300 people die after taken such painkiller drugs - a number that represents more than HIV/AIDS and H1N1 combined.

It's coooooomiiiiing! A winter storm will hit our area tonight, and Wednesday's commute is pretty much guaranteed to be a nightmare because people either don't have winter tires on and/or don't adjust their driving to the conditions. It happens every year. If there isn't at least one temporary closure on one of the GTA's 400-series highways, I'll eat my summer shorts.

If you happen to see what looks like 25 feet high, 30 feet wide explosions east of the downtown core tonight (near Queen Street and Broadview Avenue), it's either a film crew doing some special effects for Resident Evil: Afterlife or terrorists capitalizing on our expectation that it's a film crew doing special effects.

And the billboard bylaw and tax has been approved by city council. But will the arts see some of that revenue? That's still to be determined.

meh / December 8, 2009 at 09:12 am
Re: Oxycontin. From personal experience, I can tell you that doctors in the last 5 years prescribe Oxy like candy, and give almost no advice about how dangereous and addictive it is. There are certainly cases where powerful painkillers are needed (and this will only increase as the Boomers get older), but doctors are not giving them the respect they deserve.

Meanwhile, a natural pain remedy for minor aches is illegal. Perhaps we should call marijauna "Oxypalauna" and get drug companies to market it.
geg / December 8, 2009 at 10:01 am
That photo's from awhile back -- the new LCBO is up on that corner now!
Ryan L. replying to a comment from meh / December 8, 2009 at 10:27 am
Using weed for pain relief is just silly. Its effects are very inconsistant from person to person.

"Here, take this drug that may or may not relieve your pain, and if it does, it might help only a little or it might help a lot"

Not exactly how doctors like to work.
Val replying to a comment from Ryan L. / December 8, 2009 at 10:37 am
Using marijuana for pain relief isn't silly - it has it's appropriate applications with minor side effects. Just like with any other drug, people can have a diverse range of reactions.
Ryan L. / December 8, 2009 at 10:47 am
And for the record, often the damage from Oxycodone/percocet is from the 'harmless' acetaminophen contained within which is added to help the pain relief, but also to stop people from abusing the otherwise harmless, but addictive drug.
Ryan L. replying to a comment from Val / December 8, 2009 at 10:51 am
Appropriate applications, yes. Substitute for other pain medication, no.
Val replying to a comment from Ryan L. / December 8, 2009 at 11:16 am
You are still generalizing. If my doctor believes that my pain is mild enough to be treated with marijuana instead of low dosage of opiates which tend to make me nauseous and switches my prescription, that's a valid application and a substitute. Personal experience.
Ryan L. / December 8, 2009 at 11:30 am
How is that generalizing? I just agreed with you. There are times when its appropriate and there are times when it's not. It's not a substitution for opiates as a whole.
Picard102 / December 8, 2009 at 01:37 pm
Booze is legal and great at dulling the pain.
saltspring replying to a comment from Val / December 8, 2009 at 06:03 pm
Any doctor who recommends you use marijuana for anything is a fool who might as well hand over his license to the CPSO. Marijuana is an illegal street drug with no good evidence to support it or its derivatives (available by prescription) as a first- or even second-line therapeutic option for mild to moderate pain. If you want to medicate yourself with ganja, go right ahead, it's your life (and lungs, if smoking it is your style). You can even tell your doctor, but don't expect her to recommend it.
phil / December 8, 2009 at 06:59 pm
Haha, saltspring. You're a fucking douche.
Rico / December 8, 2009 at 09:01 pm
I wonder how many painkiller deaths are a result of actually addressing pain. The others I don't care about.
Val replying to a comment from saltspring / December 8, 2009 at 09:41 pm
I'll trust my doctor over a stranger on the Internet, at the very least. Who are you to tell?
Rico replying to a comment from Val / December 8, 2009 at 09:46 pm
Doctors aren't the end-all to biochemistry. In fact, they are not biochemists. Some of us have more education in that field than doctors. So don't think that being a doctor makes anybody a magical being. In fact, Healthcare in Canada is flawed because of that reason alone. Yes, I've studied that as well.
saltspring replying to a comment from Rico / December 8, 2009 at 11:15 pm
My my, you are a regular fucking scholar, aren't you? Why don't you and Phil go light up a fattie and enjoy an Ambien moment together?
Phil / December 8, 2009 at 11:44 pm
Actually, I don't smoke weed because I don't enjoy it, and I've never tried ambien. Nice try though.
Rico replying to a comment from saltspring / December 8, 2009 at 11:59 pm
Actually, compared to you, I most certainly am. And yes, it's very easy to say that after spending all that time and money learning what I wanted. It's very common to run into imbeciles like you who think they know anything. So in that light, why don't you go hump your hat, douche? Practice being a moron another day.
alexd / December 9, 2009 at 12:32 am
We were talking about the dismissal of the corruption charges on TRIBE today here: http://www.tribemagazine.com/board/tribe-main-forum/157935-toronto-police-corruption-case-dismissed-technicality.html
It seems like a less than diligent prosecution. It just sounds like they were all colluding in the delays, and counting on the charter to kick in to dismiss the case eventually. Problem solved.
Rico / December 9, 2009 at 12:37 am
A fine example of an application of education. Getting an 11B motion (toss it out of court prior to reasonable trial time) is much better than actually going to trial.
Wu-Tang replying to a comment from Val / December 9, 2009 at 08:43 am
Where can I sign up with this doctor of yours, Val? Is it Feelgood or Spaceman? I'm being totally serious.