Monday, December 22, 2014Cloudy 0°C

"ONLY SERIOUS RICH PEOPLE ONLY" Need Apply

Posted by Ryan C / October 18, 2007

You made sad green ninja even sadder
Craigslist is a blast. Not only can you find all sorts of nifty crap from local vendors (local pickup FTW), but forums like Missed Encounters and such can provide endless hours of entertainment if you're just looking to kill some time.

Recently, a friend of mine stumbled across the following ad in the Toronto Items Wanted section:

Anyone rich who wants to give me money. I need about $7000 dollars or so. ONLY RICH SERIOUS PEOPLE ONLY. my email is sandra4758@hotmail.com

A show of hands please, who here thinks this isn't a scam? Take a deep breath... this is actually a fo' really reals plea for help. Not only that, but the Sandra in question has a hilariously piss poor reason for requesting the money. It's downright shameful.

How do I know all this? Because that friend of mine went into an email exchange with the person to find out just why she would post such a shameless ad. My friend was being an ass-bag liar, but his intentions were as pure as a moonlit ocean; he just wanted to hear the b.s. Nigerian Oil-baron-ish scam for himself.

Her first response:

I need it for personal reasons. I wouldnt ask for the money if i didnt need it. Its important i get it. If you give me the money i will do you a favour and no NOT SEXUAL FAVOURS like working favours or something. I need it soon maybe this week or something. Thanks.

That was pretty ambiguous, which was to be expected. But then again, if someone needs $7000 it likely isn't for something impersonal. We automatically assume it's drug related, 'cause, well, why the arse not? A reply along the lines of "You ain't gettin' any cash without giving me a damn good reason," was sent back.

Her response:

Ok well am embrassed to say why but here it is. Its because am 27 and live with my parents and i have to pay them rent. I havent paid inawhile. So they are asking for it. I dont have much money now. I am working full time and now making enough right now. I am looking for a second job too if you have that ill take that instead. And no am not using the money for drugs and all that crap. To prove to you am not using it for drugs and stuff I can work for it if you offer me a part time job somewhere or you can help me.

Jezuz tap-dancing Kee-rist. This person has the following things:

1: A full time job.
2: No drug addiction.
3: A roof over her head.
4: 27 years of life experience.

To give you the executive summary, this is not someone in dire need of a seriously rich twit with more money than brains. This person, instead, needs to learn how to better manage her income. It's actually quite understandable if someone has problems getting by, even with a full time job. Some just don't pay that well. But when you are 27 years old and you have the luxury of living in a home that is probably subsidized somewhat (think filled fridge, furniture, etc) by your parents, a desperate plea for help as posted only serves to lower any orbiting extra-terrestrials' expectations of what humanity is capable of. You don't have a malnourished child you can't feed, you aren't a war veteran missing a leg, and you aren't living on the streets wondering if tomorrow might be your last day. In other words, Sandra whatever your last name is, you are not in the dire straits that many people in Toronto actually are in.

You're right to be embarrassed.

However, you've proven that you are capable of holding down a job, so here's some contextual advice in handy-dandy hyperlink form: Monster, Workopolis, Craigslist job postings. Godspeed.

Photo by a Ninja-bot

Gloria / October 18, 2007 at 11:01 am
Does it count as a scam if they're not lying? She's just asking for money, which everyone is entitled to do, even if most people try not to. To me, a scam is if she asked for money and lied about the circumstances forcing her to do so (e.g. your typical Nigerian prince spam).

This is more like exorbitant panhandling (although I guess there are people who'll argue panhandling is a scam as well).
Ry C / October 18, 2007 at 11:03 am
Gloria, I said it wasn't a scam. "this is actually a fo' really reals plea for help." I then detailed my friend's attempt to figure out what scam it was assumed to be, when he discovered it wasn't a scam. She was just incredibly lazy.
Chris / October 18, 2007 at 11:11 am
$7000 in back rent? Someone really must have a drug problem if they stopped paying rent that long ago with a full time job...
Sameer Vasta / October 18, 2007 at 12:02 pm
WAHHHHmbulance on the way! Great post Ryan.
Miles / October 18, 2007 at 12:26 pm
There's a similar classified ad section in London's Time Out magazine and I funded a trip to Africa after I left school by placing ads there. It never hurts to try.
Jen / October 18, 2007 at 12:50 pm
Another fine post on a local blog making fun of somebody. Maybe the rule should be if it's that easy, why bother? Why do you need to write this? And write it so badly. Sorry Sameer, these kinds of posts bring down this blog. My god, go write for Vice magazine or something if you want to make fun of people.

Does anybody at BlogTO edit this writer? Does anybody in charge vet these these pieces? I've love to hear from TIM or whoever is in charge.
jack / October 18, 2007 at 01:07 pm
Just give her the money.. I am going to post an ad there asking for money too.. hopefully, someone will give me the money too...that's what Canadians always do.
Tim / October 18, 2007 at 01:21 pm
Hi Jen,

I agree that this type of post may not be what everyone is looking for on blogTO but I'd suggest that rule probably applies to most of our content. We try to cover some diverse topics and perspectives so we expect our readers will tend to gravitate to the writers and subjects that resonate most strongly with them. That's one of the reasons we allow readers to sort content by Author and by Category.

As for the post making fun of somebody, it is not our intention to promote or include editorial that is hurtful, mean-spirited or otherwise making fun of people. I personally don't think this post crossed the line.
kevin bracken / October 18, 2007 at 01:40 pm
lol, i made a similar posting of my own after seeing this

maybe this is how we should start raising money for our events!
Anon / October 18, 2007 at 01:42 pm
Why would you think it's a scam in hte first place? She out and out asks for money in the initial posting. A scam involves fraud and deception of some sort. There's no deception here - she's just asking for money. When the cancer society calls and asks for money, is that a scam too? Sounds like the first thing the blog author needs is an English lesson. "Please give me money" can be described many ways, but "scam" is not a word that can be applied to it.

Then in her followup, the situation is quite clear: "I am working full-time and no[t] making enough right now." Okay. Straight up. She wants/needs money. She's asking for it. What's the scam? Yes, it is quite possible to work full-time and not have enough money. Ontario's minimum wage is $8.00 per hour, which is a whopping $16,000/year, gross.

And frankly, criticizing her for not being handicapped is kind of sad. You didn't ask her, did you? Maybe she is in a wheelchair, maybe she has Down syndrome, maybe she has an IQ of 80, maybe she has two kids under age 3, maybe she didn't graduate high school. You didn't ask any of that, did you?

God this post is lame. Dear BlogTo, please send Ryan C's next paycheck to Sandra, because I suspect she can make better use of it than he will.
The G / October 18, 2007 at 01:49 pm
Jen, pull the stick out of your arse...or should I refer to you by your real name, "SANDRA"?

Dun dun DUNNNN....

Anon-Nobody called it a scam. Read what he actually said.
Ryan C / October 18, 2007 at 02:02 pm
Does no one know how to read? I stated MULTIPLE times that this DIDN'T TURN OUT TO BE A SCAM. Also, I didn't ask any of those questions, Anon, because I didn't engage in the actual conversation. Also, my friend DID ask her WHY she needed the money. She said she had a job, she just needs more, please give her a second job, etc.

Anyone else need a wahhhhmbulance?

BTW, we're always on the lookout for contributers. Sandra could try applying for a job instead of saying "Give me 7 grand and I'll do you a favour".

KEVIN, your post got flagged for removal. Sandra's is still up there. Seems some things are worth donating to and others aren't.
Jerrold / October 18, 2007 at 02:04 pm
Chris / October 18, 2007 at 02:12 pm
To Jack: Yeah, just give her the money! I mean come on, she took the effort to <em>ask</em> for it, the least anyone can do is give her a measly $7000. The nerve of some people around here, withholding money from a lazy, goodfornothing e-panhandler!
jack / October 18, 2007 at 02:39 pm
if u don't give her the money, the government will ask u for it eventually in different forms:social subsidy tax, land transfer tax, whatever names they can come up
Jonathan / October 18, 2007 at 02:50 pm
"I can't believe people are being sympathetic to Sandra's plight. She deserves to be mocked, IMNSHO."

BlogTO seems to be really big on mocking other people's plight these days.
Jerrold / October 18, 2007 at 03:00 pm
Plight? We're talking about a 27-year old, living at home, with a job, asking rich people to give her a $7000 handout on Craigslist. Hardly a sad situation.
Ninja-Bot / October 18, 2007 at 03:13 pm
I have a job too, but I live on my own, so my situation is wayyyyy sadder. Can someone bail me out of the 6 grand I still owe in student debt?
Jen / October 18, 2007 at 03:20 pm
Thanks for the response Tim. I think I'm going to stop reading though. This hipster-dickish writing style was never part of BlogTO, and recently it has seeped in. Sure this woman made an absurd post on craigslist, but I'd expect not to have to read some school-yard response to it. It's so easy to make fun of people -- there's just no challenge, and when you let it happen you let bad writers like this flourish.

Anyway, sign me disappointed with BlogTO, which used to have better standards than the typical 'ist-a-verse gutter blogs.

Jen W.
Jack / October 18, 2007 at 04:35 pm
nothing can be more absurd than our government.. on one hand, we are giving away money to other countries like there is no tomorrow, on the other hand, the cities and provinces are screaming no money and have to raise our tax
Gloria / October 18, 2007 at 05:52 pm
Also, I side with Jen. This kind of content isn't what I'm looking for a "city" blog -- more like something I'd laugh at on a friend's personal blog. We come across bold idiots all the time, so I'm not sure why Sandra is particularly representative.

I'm not going to stop reading BlogTO, but I think it's important to at least voice that I'm going to skip over these posts in the future since they're not what I come for. I realize this is probably not going to have much editorial impact, but speaking out doesn't hurt.
Paul / March 1, 2009 at 07:14 pm
The comments these old posts pick up are hilarious.
jgil / September 3, 2009 at 06:40 am
This is an example of the middle class being squeezed these days. Many have some kind of debt hanging over their heads and more expenses than income. Most people are desperate these days as they are being squeezed for every penny they have by corporations, businesses, rich people and governments that own everything.
mike / June 16, 2011 at 10:45 pm
What the hell is going on here?
Nerves replying to a comment from paul / July 11, 2011 at 12:57 pm
Sounds legit.
Mcqueen / May 19, 2012 at 07:52 am
I'm trying to raise money for a movie, any suggestions!!! I also need a director and extra's.
Commenting has been disabled on this post.