Noted Montreal-based landscape architect Frederick Todd was commissioned to produce the master blueprint that would dictate the location of houses, roads, and commercial areas.
Many of Leaside's streets were named after Canadian Northern executives, including Hanna, Wicksteed, and Laird. The town, which takes its name from early settler William Lea, was officially incorporated in 1913 and many of the current homes west of Laird, south of Eglinton, were built after 1924.
Heavy industry has also historically been a major presence in the Leaside area. During both world wars, Canada Wire and Cable produced shells and other important munitions at its sprawling plant southeast of Wicksteed and Laird. It's gone now, replaced by a shopping plaza, but the surrounding area remains a dense thicket of factories.
Here's a look back at what Leaside used to look like.
Obtaining a permit to host an event in one of Toronto's public spaces brings with it insurance, security in the form of paid duty police officers, a liquor license, and permission from the city to close streets, among other things.
The five-storey extension, to be named Robarts Common, will span the Huron St. side of the building, adding 4,300 square metres of additional space to the crowded interior.
According to recently filed plans with the City of Toronto, Robarts Common will be connected to the main library by a four-storey bridge and include an extensive green roof. A separate plaza connecting the corner of Huron and Harbord streets is planned for the south end of the new pavilion.
In 2013, the last year for which detailed statistics are available, demand peaked on July 17. That day the Honda Indy was making a racket at Exhibition Place, the discussion around converting the Scarborough RT was approaching a farce, and the temperature peaked at 35.4 degrees--a scorcher.
Not many photos survive from this period (camera technology was still in its infancy) but thanks to careful preservation, and a little luck, it's still possible to get a sense of what Toronto looked like when the horse and cart was king of road.
Here are 5 Toronto intersections as they were 150 years ago.
It started with a meeting at the Rossin House hotel in downtown Toronto. A group of local businessmen, led by former city alderman Thomas Hunter, formed a company that would field a baseball team in the 1885 Canadian League, a competition between teams from London, Guelph, and two in Hamilton.