This Week in Music: SummerWorks, Otherland, Beta Frontiers, Friendly Rich, Unity Fest, Man Finds Fire
Here's where to rest your weary, shoddily-adorned feet in Toronto for free this week.
Saturday's diverse one-day line up at Fort York will probably be more fun than Grove was last year, however the loss of Death Grips due to their break up is unfortunate. Grimes, Smith Westerns, Kaytranada, Majical Cloudz and more are still on the bill. TIME took a three year break, so it's not brand new - but a jump from Sound Academy means this fest is going to be a totally different experience. Tip: that experience might include noise bleed from the Honda Indy. Just gimme Indy Rock! Saturday, July 19, 12pm, Fort York Garrison Common (100 Garrison Road).
While speculating what Drake's newly revealed album title Views From The 6 might mean, pieces were slowly put together by, according to BuzzFeed, "people" - Twitter users? - who deduced that "6" is the only common number shared by "416" and "647" area codes. Well, that and the "4." So is Toronto's new name "the 6" for realsies? Are we "in the 6" right now?
Today in Toronto: Ossington Stop Free Lunch, Ken Park + Zoo Owl, Open Roof, Vivian Maier, Clothing Swap
The Open Roof Fest is screening Frank featuring Michael Fassbender and a performance by bluesy Toronto band Catl. Fashion hunters can hit up Coal Miner's Daughter's birthday party on Queen West (giveaways!) or pony up $3 to attend a clothing swap at Evergreen Brick Works (11am-1pm). For more events, click on over to our events section.
- Food: Free Lunch at Ossington Stop (Ossington Stop)
- Film: Open Roof Festival (99 Sudbury)
- Art: Puzzling Overgrowth (Weird Things)
- Film: Shorts That Are Not Pants (Carlton Cinemas)
- Music: Ken Park and Zoo Owl (Milk Glass Co.)
- Art: Vivian Maier: Photographs of Children (Stephen Bulger Gallery)
- Fashion: CMD is 5 (Coal Miner's Daughter)
- Fashion: Summer Community Clothing Swap (Evergreen Brick Works)
- Art: Artist Talk with Tony Scherman (MOCCA)