The Canadian National Exhibition
What rides? Along with offering outlandish dishes like donut cheeseburgers and bacon-covered hot dogs, the CNE has become something of a Mecca for deep-fried eats. These range from the old fashioned (deep fried pickles) to the ridiculous (deep fried coke) to the heart attacking-inducing (deep fried butter). Consume at your own peril. Check out our outrageous food preview here and our top entertainment picks here. There are rides, games, and male-dominated musical performances too. August 15 - September 1, Exhibition Place (200 Princes' Blvd).
While Lazer says might let Dudebox come back to Ed's someday (meaning, I'm sure, someday before condos take over), Friday's party has been moved to 99 Sudbury, and the event has been renamed "99 Problems But a Venue Ain't One." Next time they should just have a party under a bridge like the rest of us trolls.
Today in Toronto: Photographers Without Borders, Sail-in Cinema, Feast in the East, Maloo, Blackout Party
It's also a huge day in the city for live music including Feast in the East, Maylee Todd's MALOO psych pop boogie at Music in St James Park, and Regina (Light Fires)'s Do I Have To Do Everything My Fucking Self? cabaret at SummerWorks. For more events, click on over to our events section.
- Photography: Photographers Without Borders (Hermann & Audrey)
- Film: Jaws at Sail-In Cinema (Sugar Beach)
- Music/Performance: Do I Have To Do Everything My Fucking Self? (Lower Ossington Theatre)
- Darkness: Blackout Party (Christie Pits)
- Music: Feast in the East (Jam Factory)
- Music: Maloo (St. James Park)
- Party: The Crush Project present John Waters Trash Bash (Gladstone Hotel)
- Party: Bring Your Own Records! (The Steady)
- Music: High on Fire free show (Adelaide Hall)
- Food: Heroes VS Villains (Cheese Boutique)
Today in Toronto: Alvvays, Open Roof, Indie Blender, Lido Pimienta, Raconteurs, Spookey Ruben, Mooz-Lum
Free film-wise Open Roof is screening the Grand Budapest Hotel with a musical performance by Ascot Royals, but if you want something with some substance Mooz-lum at Regent Park is a smarter choice. Saving the best for last, SummerWorks will present Lido Pimienta and Natasha Greenblatt doing a one-time collab called The Secret Garden of Lido Pimienta. For more events, click on over to our events section.
- Music: The Secret Garden of Lido Pimienta (Lower Ossington Theatre)
- Film: Open Roof Festival - Grand Budapest Hotel + Ascot Royals (99 Sudbury)
- Film: Outdoor screening of Mooz-Lum (Daniels Spectrum)
- Variety: Spookey Ruben's Dizzy Playground (Supermarket)
- Music: The Indie Blender's 1 Year Anniversary (Dakota)
- Fashion: Raconteurs Storytelling & WORN present "FASHION" (Tranzac)
UPDATE: Due to Thunderstorm warnings tonight's screening at Fort York has been canceled.
It's Men's Fashion Week from now until Thursday. Will anyone notice? Will Kevin McDonald aka the Kids In The Hall guy make a joke about it at the John Candy Box Theatre? The Workroom on Queen will host "popcorn, iced tea and stitching" which we all know means hardcore gossip about everyone else on Queen Street. And their little dogs too. For more events, click on over to our events section.
- Fashion: Men's Fashion Week (Fairmont Royal York Hotel)
- Comedy: Kevin McDonald (John Candy Box Theatre / The Second City Training Centre)
- Film: The Breakfast Club (Fort York Garrison Common)
- Music: Echo & the Bunnymen (Danforth Music Hall)
- Hair & Makeup: Kiss and Def Leppard (Molson Ampitheatre)
- We Know What You Did Last Summer: August Stitch n' Bitch (The Workroom)
- City: Hogtown Trivia (The Gladstone)
Even with a storied history of booking in unusual venues like Crossfit gyms (yes, they moved all the weights somehow) and car washes, this will be something special for the group of friends behind Dudebox, who say they will reach their long-term goal of raising $100,000 this summer - and they don't intend to retire.