Wednesday, September 17, 2014Mostly Cloudy 21°C
Arts

How to draw a perfect Rob Ford in four simple steps

Posted by Aubrey Jax / January 8, 2014

Rob FordHow to draw Rob Ford is a question we ask ourselves daily. While some artists find rendering Ford's likeness easy, and others have spent tens of thousands of dollars going to art school to learn how to caricature our Mayor (that's a class at OCAD now), those of us less inclined to properly hold a pencil - you're not supposed to grip it fiercely at the lead line, who knew?? - have been left struggling. Until now. How to Draw Rob Ford (howtodrawrobford.com) is here to hone our mayoral art skills in four easy steps. Turns out it's pretty much all balls and lines for Rob.

The website offers step by step PDFs, a traceable option for beginners, and an Instagram-ready option. Customer testimonials tell the story better than I ever could, so check them out. So, now that you can draw Rob Ford, what should you do? Here are some ideas: make paper dolls. Start - and win - office games of exquisite corpse. Make masks and wear them to the bar. Add Simpsons characters. Hold an art show with your friends. Tag the city (with chalk, with chalk!). Use simple illustrations to show Ford supporters the error of their ways. Send one to your mom before snail mail is gone forever. She'll be so proud.

After you perfect your RoFo sketching skills, don't forget to donate to the Center for Addiction and Mental Health.

Mom Tarses / January 8, 2014 at 11:17 am
So, does Aubrey's 14 year old BFF's find her as funny as she find herself?
Donna / January 8, 2014 at 11:38 am
Please provide steps for drawing Olivia Chow and Kathleen Wynne as well. Id like to see how you draw thier features.
grant / January 8, 2014 at 11:52 am
Nice one
Can I use the likeness? / January 8, 2014 at 11:59 am
...to design Halloween costumes for the Fall of 2014?
Kukko the Klown / January 8, 2014 at 12:01 pm
No Wynne or Chow, since you should concentrate on (quasi) criminals. But one of that murderer Hudak, the famous Little Shit™, would be most welcome.
d / January 8, 2014 at 12:13 pm
Look at it! You don't even need Step 4.
You're cool / January 8, 2014 at 12:14 pm
Get a life, Mom
hip / January 8, 2014 at 12:24 pm
RF for PM is all that matters.
Jules / January 8, 2014 at 01:17 pm
The man is a star, a celebrity, his own brand. Its about time he had his own recognizable icon that we can all easily draw to spread the word of his popularity and icon status.
alan / January 8, 2014 at 01:26 pm
my question is....WHY ??
Mom Tarses replying to a comment from You're cool / January 8, 2014 at 01:30 pm
This from someone who agree's with this:

"How to draw Rob Ford is a question we ask ourselves daily"

Sorry but I didn't ask myself anything whatsoever today to do with Rob Ford yet you and Aubrey had that burning question. Who need's a life again?
Michael replying to a comment from Mom Tarses / January 8, 2014 at 01:44 pm
Its a joke howdy, learn to laugh. Honestly RoFo is almost as ugly as he is... addicted to mind altering substances. Good heavens take a course in sarcasim.
Bryan Espiritu / January 8, 2014 at 02:04 pm
This was an experiment in a couple of ways. Firstly, I wanted to see if anyone booked that I referred to the "egg" shape as a reference to crack, literally saying he is a crackhead. I know it looks like a spud. It looks like a thumb. It looks like a chip. That's why the customer testimony says potato chip. I recognize that. There's no accident there. I also made it so there were 4 "balls" in his face, as in half of an 8 ball. And the rest are called "lines" for obvious reasons. I was curious to see if anyone would notice that or if they would play it off as the artist not knowing the difference between the names of shapes and having poor descriptive abilities. Secondly, and most importantly, the main part of this site is the donation page calling people to donate to the Center for Addiction and Mental Health. I wanted to see if people would understand the "why" and not buffoon strictly around the "what". People have donated, but not nearly as many people as I had hoped. On one hand I'm ridiculing him for being our city's crackhead and providing people with the opportunity to make whatever the fuck they want out of these guidelines - posters, masks, greeting cards - on the other hand I'm seeing what our people are willing to do to help those who are suffering daily from substance abuse. Do we only ridicule? Do we not do anything to improve the situation or to contribute to their rehabilitation? People are funny to me and I don't mean that in a humorous way. People are fucking jokes. The footer reads "The Last Laugh. Enough pussy to eat at home". Note: I don't use the term "pussy" in my day-to-day speech as a degrading, emasculating term since it is where human beings come from, but in this case it worked perfectly. The line is used as a jeer at anyone who thought about donating but didn't. Clearly taken from the comments Ford made about cunnilingus, I'm using it as a double entendre to say people are cowardly, they are what they eat, sitting in the comfort of their recliners laughing at a crack head, all the while consuming their own ridiculous digital "food" rendering them crackheads of a different sort. Again for the not-in-the-know, "food" is another term for crack. The Last Laugh = TLL = TheLegendsLeague. I'm just sitting watching it happen. I'm enjoying the smiling faces. All the while laughing at the bullshit talks and likes.
Bryan Espiritu / January 8, 2014 at 02:08 pm
If you thought this had anything to do with drawing skills or Rob Ford as a politician, you are terribly, terribly mistaken about the shit I do.
Sam replying to a comment from Bryan Espiritu / January 8, 2014 at 03:37 pm
WOW If you have to explain your art in such detail - especially if it was an experiment its a fail.

CLEARLY YOUR EXPERIMENT FAILED FROM YOUR OWN INVOLVEMENT NOT OURS. If you really care about charity come up with an honest strategy/campaign and be clear about your intentions not trying to guess and make people wonder what this thing is all about. YOU FAIL.

Gayle / January 8, 2014 at 03:39 pm
The Rob Ford Film and Media Festival thanks you!

Jessica replying to a comment from Bryan Espiritu / January 8, 2014 at 03:45 pm
Sorry Bryan, but as big as your EGO may be to you and your clique, you are a no name like most of us. Why would any of us care or know about the SHIT you do. I do agree though that it is SHIT and you you tried to use the biggest scandal/icon/mayor for your own advantage.
Suzi / January 8, 2014 at 04:31 pm
Is this project associated with CAMH at all? Or was CAMH just used without consent? What is your charitable number if your collecting donations?

ANYONE interested in donating should use the official CAMH site to make sure that its credited to CAMH and you can get your proper receipts.

bryan / January 8, 2014 at 04:54 pm
You really think we pay attention? A glance is all this site is worth...including the comments. Moi, aussi.
geoff / January 8, 2014 at 05:00 pm
Just tried the donation form from the Drawing site on my phone and the form says Im donating to the Legends League? No mention of CAMH at all - no thanks. Might have had more donations if the form was legit...
yt / January 8, 2014 at 06:30 pm
posting further juvenellia in an ocadu marketing thread.

Bob / January 8, 2014 at 09:20 pm
I like your work. It's on these principles that we have The Simpsones, King of the Hill, The Flintstones. Very nicely done.

I'm really sorry to see the lack of humour witnessed in many of the comments. I encourage you to continue to presenting your opinion, especially as you express such a high quality satire.

Very best,

Bob

PS: This could be modified into a Bobby Hill ;-)
8ball / January 8, 2014 at 09:34 pm
I think the eyes are too far apart
Mic replying to a comment from Bryan Espiritu / January 8, 2014 at 10:19 pm
Yes I would like my fries supersized; I'm just saying this now so I don't have to repeat myself when we see each other two weeks from now.
Mr. Hanky / January 8, 2014 at 10:46 pm
LOL @ Mr. Espiritu...you just ended up sounding like a huge douchebag. Just like comedy...if you have to 'explain the joke' then you've already failed.

Looks like the 'egg' is on your face here and not ROFO.

Thanks for comin out.

Faillaif replying to a comment from Bryan Espiritu / January 8, 2014 at 10:50 pm
Your 'art' is a laughable as your 'explanation'. Go make a clever t-shirt and kindly fack off.
KP / January 9, 2014 at 11:58 am
Should be "two balls and another lie"
Nick replying to a comment from Bryan Espiritu / January 9, 2014 at 12:18 pm
"Holy shit guys, look how deep my drawing is. I will now degrade you all for not understanding how clever I am."
Jenkins / January 9, 2014 at 03:26 pm
So, this is the stuff that BlogTO is posting these days, eh? Incredible. They really are trying to become the local answer to Buzzfeed.
A person replying to a comment from Jessica / January 10, 2014 at 01:51 pm
Sometimes people feel the need to explain the satire because there are people like you who will knock anything because you truly don't exist in the real world. Maybe it didnt work for you but it did for others. You are commenting and not creating anything worth acknowledging. but hey You can Knock the creators, i cant stop you but please do something to show us you're even worthy of critiquing any piece of art. Or else you just sound like another disgruntled commenter from the depths of cyberspace who just hates on anything or anyone to suppress the amount of hate you have for yourself.
Obvious replying to a comment from A person / January 10, 2014 at 03:40 pm
Hi Bryan.
A person / January 10, 2014 at 05:02 pm
Always with some humour, comrade, a little humour.
Obvious / January 10, 2014 at 05:20 pm
...and a healthy dash of pretentiousness. ;)
Simon Tarses replying to a comment from A person / January 10, 2014 at 05:21 pm
I suspect you were one of those that thought when the "art" was shown here recently of someone writing the word 'CUP" on a take out coffee cup that it was high art also and the person who did it was OH SO TALENTED!! Yes, Aubrey drawing a simple stick drawing of her hero is such high art also, I oh so agree.
youra / January 11, 2014 at 01:48 am
No Bryan, you're not important.
Mary Tyler Moore / January 11, 2014 at 08:43 am